PDA

View Full Version : Age Related Question

Maxflyer
2nd May 2003, 03:05
Hello fellow PpRuNers../
I am currently about to complete my PPL at age 41. I would value honest opinions as to the worth of my continuing my training with a view to getting a commercial license. Am I too old, is there any point? What type of jobs could I expect to compete for?

TJ

matspart3
2nd May 2003, 03:58
This type of question has been asked many times, I'd suggest a search of the archives...best of luck

witchdoctor
2nd May 2003, 04:17
Wish there was an easy answer to give, but I'm afraid it's about as good a question as 'how long is a piece of string?'. If you really, really want to do it, AND can afford to give up 2 years of your life to complete the training, AND have at least £50K available for the costs plus living expenses, then what's the harm.

You're well located in Northants for many different airports in East Anglia, the Midlands and perhaps the Thames Valley, and I'm sure there are guys who have been in your position and made a go of it. Times are pretty hard for recruitment just now, even for very experienced pilots (I'm not one if you were wondering, just got a first foot on the ladder so to speak), but you never know when Lady Luck might come knocking on the door. If you're genuinely prepared to give anything a go commercially, and prepared to be flexible with regard to locations and conditions etc, then have a crack.

'He who dares wins, Rodney'.:D

Say hi to Scaldwell for me if you're ever passing, WD.

Pilotage
2nd May 2003, 04:43
You might consider setting your sights, and budget a little lower. Your odds of getting good work until well past 60 as an instructor for example are probably far better than your odds of getting an airline front seat - the money aint as good, but the costs of training are far less also.

Of course, as an instructor with a CPL or frozen ATPL, there's nothing to stop you looking around if the jobs market perks up a bit, or sloping off to the back of beyond and doing some interesting if not-all-that-well-paid bush flying or what have you.

From what I've seen (and I freely admit to not being an airline bod) the lifestyle (in terms of what you do in the cockpit and your ability to sleep in your own bed at nights) of a professional little aeroplane pilot is far better than that of an airline pilot, it's just that the money is far far less.

Of-course, I post as a completely biased little aeroplane fan with little or no personal interest in big ones.

P