PDA

View Full Version : Visit to AIS Heathrow 12 June

Mike Cross
1st May 2003, 17:57
The visit is confirmed for Thursday 12 June from 10:30 to 14:30 at the UK AIS offices in the Control Tower Building at LHR (regrettably landing slots will NOT be available!:{ ).

We have the Main Conference Room, which has fabulous views over the Airport so bring your binoculars. There is also access to an upper gallery where you will be able to listen in to frequencies and be briefed on what is going on. The Main Conference Room and Gallery are the two top rows of windows in this picture (http://www.freefoto.co.uk/preview.jsp?id=20-10-52). We'll probably also be able to go on to the roof above. Unfortunately the Visual Control Room (the glasshouse) is too small and too busy with 1200+ movements a day for a visit.

Anticipated program includes a briefing on AIS and what it does, followed by splitting into smaller groups for a tour of the facilities and a visit to Thames Radar. We may even get fed!

AIS staff come from an ATC background and you will have plenty of opportunities to ask questions and swap tall stories. They are keen on establishing a dialogue with GA pilots to our mutual benefit and some are coming in on their day off to be there.

AIS is responsible for the UK AIP, holds a library of world-wide foreign AIP's and publishes AIC's and NOTAM so any questions you might have can be readily answered.

As you would expect, the Control Tower at Heathrow is a pretty secure location so if you would like to go I will need you to e-mail ([email protected]) me your name, address, and a contact telephone number so that access can be arranged.

Look forward to seeing you! :ok:

Mike Cross

TheKentishFledgling
1st May 2003, 20:56
I've already been lucky enough to go on a trip to the Heathrow Control Tower Building, and so I won't put my name down for this one.

It's a very interesting experience, so I'd urge anyone that could get there to put your name down and go for it.

Some pictures from my trip here: http://www.eludlow.flyer.co.uk/egll/index.htm

I found the radar rooms particularly interesting (especailly the SVFR controller).

We were lucky enough to get a visit to the glasshouse, so you never know, you may get lucky.....?

tKF

Aussie Andy
1st May 2003, 22:11
Would love to come - but can't make it. Regards to all,

Andy

brockenspectre
2nd May 2003, 02:36
I can't wait for this! am so looking forward to it!

Thanks mrcross!! :D

Barney_Gumble
2nd May 2003, 05:09
Yes sure am looking forward to it. I have some spare seats in the car.

I live near Jct 9, M25, so can pick up any stops between there and LHR.

PM me if you need a lift.

Barney

FlyingForFun
2nd May 2003, 17:27
Sadly can't make it - hope everyone who gets to go has a great time though!

FFF
-----------

BRL
2nd May 2003, 17:38
You lot will have an excellent time. Its a bit off-putting but rather funny too, trying to hold a conversation in the conference room. Everytime a plane takes off everyone looks around insync then it goes, conversation resumes for a bit then another goes up, heads turn etc etc..........

The views from up there are great too, defo take some kind of camera.

Also bear in mind if you are going by car that there are not really any public car parking spaces at the foot of the tower. You have to use the Terminal 2 car park so take a lot of spare change with you for the machine as its pretty expensive as car parks go. Have fun. :)

Charlie Zulu
3rd May 2003, 03:36
Unfortunately you lot have picked a day to which I cannot attend.

However I will be at Heathrow Airport until 12 midday on June 12th, then if you see an American Airlines 777 take off that'll be me on my way to San Diego (via New York).

Heathrow ATCO's probably work unlike Cardiff Tower, or should that be "Cardiff Flower"? Flower will know the joke there... ;-)

Okay before I get flamed, I know Cardiff ATC do work very hard, but, well... flower do you want to comment? ;-)

flower
4th May 2003, 04:07
Uumm CZ did you want to fly at Cardiff ever again :hmm:

Good thing we are mates, should I comment further, there is enough of an argument going on about this on ATC forums without starting thread here. Suffice to say all ATCOs have there work todo , some units may have more traffic but others have additional complications.
Suggest CZ a visit to Cardiff ATC with body armour on !!!!

Mike Cross
6th May 2003, 19:26
Pushing this back to the top.

We have 22 people so far. If anyone else wants to go please e-mail me ([email protected]) ASAP with your name address and contact phone no.

Everyone who has e-mailed me should have already received a reply. Nearer to the date I will e-mail the list of attendees to everyone so that you can arrange car-shares if desired.

Mike Cross
representing AOPA UK on NOTAM issues

M14P
6th May 2003, 20:15
Anybody who needs a lift by car from the Blackbushe area is welcome to hop on board with me.

Mike Cross
7th May 2003, 19:15
We're now very near to having 30 people on the visit, which is the max, so if you want to go get your name in quick.

Phil Bate, Manager UK AIS is delighted with the response and has promised us a good day out.

If I get more than 30 I will waitlist the others and ask everyone to confirm attendance nearer the date as there are bound to be one or two who drop out.

Looks like being a very sociable occaison. I will e-mail everyone nearer to the date with directions etc. I suggest we meet in the Costa Coffee shop on the mezzanine floor in Terminal 2 then walk across together. Late arrivals can go straight to the security desk in the Control Tower building (main entrance).

Mike Cross

Mike Cross
8th May 2003, 17:18
The visit is now fully subscribed. If anyone else mails me their details I will add them to the waitlist in case anyone drops out.

I'll also pass the details of those who were unable to get on the vist to AIS so they can be first on the list if another is organised.

Thanks to all who have responded. You should all hear from me about 2 weeks before the visit with confirmation of timings and contact details of those attending so you can organise car sharing.

Mike Cross