PDA

View Full Version : Cargo Flying and CRM

Andrew M
30th Apr 2003, 02:45
Hi there, don't really know if this is a wannabes question or not.

When flying cargo commercially I know that I would proberly need a type rating. However, is a CRM course needed for flying cargo and it is only for SLF pilots ??? - Or does everybody need to do one before their ATPL.

thanks,

andrew

Captain Stable
30th Apr 2003, 21:21
Flying anything commercially you need a commercial licence and a type rating. You also need to complete a CRM course for any commercial flying - multi-crew, single pilot - anything.

Andrew M
1st May 2003, 01:21
You also need to complete a CRM course for any commercial flying - multi-crew, single pilot - anything.

Didn't know you needed a CRM for single pilot flying. I thought CRM - Crew Resource Management - was only for operations with more than one pilot.

Thanks for your help

greybeard
1st May 2003, 10:02
CRM has been legislated in some Aviation Authorities as a requirement for ALL EMPLOYEES who are involved in the operation of the Aircraft.

Various levels and approaches are needed to provide the necessary information to all.

Recent course I facilitated here had two 20+ year ladies from Flt Ops who were great value to the whole picture.

As to the overall requirement of CRM to single pilot, single aircraft operators, well that can be addressed by a suitable specific approach, easily done with the material at hand.
Most CRM now concentrates on Threat and Error Management which is applicable to ALL who fly, load, fix and own Aircraft.

C YA

Andrew M
4th May 2003, 05:27
Just after reading "Guide to getting a CPL" by Clive Hughes and I'm a little confused:

Flying anything commercially you need a commercial licence and a type rating. You also need to complete a CRM course for any commercial flying - multi-crew, single pilot - anything.

According to Page 54 of the 2002 edition:

Euro Modules for issue of CPL
0 hrs
|
PPL + Hrs Building
|
ATPL Written
|
150 Hrs Total + CPL Module (25hrs + 5 hrs complex)
|
CPL Issue at 200 Hrs
|
Multi Engine
|
50hr IR Module
|
20 hr Multi-crew cooperation
|
Multi crew type rating
(can be combined with above)
|
500 hrs Multi crew time
|
Issue of ATPL (Total of 1,500 hrs)
------------------------------------------------
So according to Clive Hughes I can get a CPL with only PPL + 150 hrs and the CPL module. I know already that I don't need an IR or Multi engine before CPL issue - but it doesn't say about CRM/MCC before CPL issue.

Yes, the jobs available without a IR and Multi engine after CPL issue would be very scarce - from the information I've read I don't need a CRM/MCC

Captain Stable
4th May 2003, 06:13
You don't need an MCC course if flying a single-crew type. You can get a licence (which is what Clive Hughes is saying) without a CRM course. However, before being released to the line you would have to have completed an initial CRM course.