PDA

View Full Version : Please explain what this means.. ?

PitotTube
30th Apr 2003, 01:43
Hello flight instructors,

I would be very happy if someone could help and do some explaining.

1. what a porpoised landing is?
2. what a balked landing is?
3. where can I find the definition for aerobatic flight?

4. why I cannot find an "arm" for the fuel in a C150/C152 POH, but have to calculate it from an example in the book? some say it is 40.0 some say it is 42.2?

5. if a plane is porpoising, what is it doing then??

thanks

eyeinthesky
30th Apr 2003, 17:15
I can do some of these:

1) & 5) A porpoised landing is when pitch control on landing is incorrect. The aircraft might, for example, touch nosewheel first and then rebound into the air. The pilot pushes forwards to counter this and the aircraft descends again, contacting nosewheel first and bouncing again. This continues for a few cycles until either the pilot does the sensible thing and goes around to try again or the nosewheel collapses. If you visualise the motion, it is a bit like a porpoise or dolphin does on the surface of the water. An aircraft can do this in the air and is also due to poor pitch control.

2) A balked landing is one where you change your mind and go around. (Balk: to miss or omit intentionally)

3) I can't remember exactly, but I think I saw somewhere that aerobatic flight is beyond 60 degrees of bank and/or 30 degrees of pitch.

4) You need to check in the POH or the aircraft documents for your particular aircraft. It should be in the weight and balance section along with the examples that Cessna do for you. Don't take someone's idea that it is about 40.0 or whatever.

witchdoctor
30th Apr 2003, 17:23
Just checked my copy of the flight manual for the 150 Aerobat and I can't find any mention of the arm for fuel in the Weight and CofG section, just the worked example you refer to - wierd (and slightly concerning).

Mark 1
30th Apr 2003, 20:20
The ANO (129) definition:

‘Aerobatic manoeuvres’ includes loops, spins, rolls, bunts, stall turns, inverted flying and any
other similar manoeuvre;

The latest Weight and balance schedule should be used for all calculations as the figures in the POH (if any) are only given as an example - weights and arms can differ on actual aircraft.