PDA

View Full Version : Star Annual - How long?

bcfc
29th Apr 2003, 23:15
Our group 172 has gone in for its star annual and I'm just wondering how long this typically takes.

The engineers reckon 2-3 weeks, I've heard other owners mention 5-6. I know it'll be dependant on whether any parts are needed and how efficient the shop is, but assuming nothing is majorly wrong and no one dawdles, is it unreasonable to expect it back by May 24th?

BlueRobin
30th Apr 2003, 00:09
50+ man hours isn't an unreasonable estimate for a Star. That's just the workshop labour. Parts can take time to be delivered. The workshop will also be workign on other aircraft. I gather there's also the paperwork.

How many pairs of hands are working on your kite?

By May 24th? Cross your fingers (but not your legs, coz that'd get messy)

jayemm
30th Apr 2003, 04:09
Our last Star Annual (PA28) took over 4 months; this included zeroing the engine, but I've had friends with stories around star annuals that aren't good for the pilot keen to get back into the air.

Frankly you won't know until the mechanics have had the engine apart and checked everything out. My advice is to arrange to go and see how things are going for yourself, show interest, and you're more likely to get a reasonable answer. Even then it may not be correct!

Flyin'Dutch'
30th Apr 2003, 14:29
Our group 172 has gone in for its star annual and I'm just wondering how long this typically takes.

1. Take the estimate of the workshop
2. Mulitply time by a factor 3
3. Multiply cost by a factor 2

Then you have the realistic time and cost estimate.

FD

Circuit Basher
30th Apr 2003, 15:12
6 weeks and counting for our Fuji at the moment.

Major item has been the fact that the avionics fit done for us last year by a 'professional organisation' was not properly certificated and has had to be re-checked (with some problems in the comms selector panel being identified at the same time). Was test flown last Thursday with a view to issuing C of A and during the low speed handling with full flaps, she dropped a wing and went into a spin.

I believe that the instructor who was the test pilot is currently soaking her underwear in Mr Muscle to remove the stains and is spending a week on Valium to recover!! ;) ;)

bcfc
30th Apr 2003, 15:54
4 months!!! :ooh:

Agenda item for next group meeting: let's schedule star annuals during the winter time.

pulse1
30th Apr 2003, 15:55
You can add another couple of weeks if they need to order any parts from Cessna.

jayemm
30th Apr 2003, 21:04
There is a law that applies to the development of computer systems:

"It will take twice as long to develop the computer system than you think it will, if even if you take this law into account"

This law applies to Star Annuals also.

bcfc
30th Apr 2003, 23:04
:{

I should get it back just in time to do my night rating!

bingoboy
1st May 2003, 04:59
Perhaps only time can explain the size of the bill !!!

Kolibear
1st May 2003, 17:41
Ours is due in July, can someone tell me exactly what is involved and why it is more detailed/expensive than an ordinary annual?

I was told that it is due every three years - correct?