PDA

View Full Version : 16 yo Skills Test passed!

Kirstey
29th Apr 2003, 19:04
A big "up" to Mark Franks down at EGKA, for passing his Skills Test at 16 yrs 8 months! Got to be one of the youngest ever!

Not a bad achievement if you ask me!

TheKentishFledgling
29th Apr 2003, 20:48
Definately, well done to him!

tKF, who could be aiming to beat it.....

topcat450
29th Apr 2003, 20:51
Well done..but I didn't think you were allowed to go solo & stuff until you were 17? Has this been changed now then?

TheKentishFledgling
29th Apr 2003, 20:53
You can now solo at 16, and take the skills test and all the exams as soon after that as you want.

But you can't actually apply the licence until you're 17.

tKF

stiknruda
30th Apr 2003, 02:09
tKf,

First solo after skills test then must be to NTF!

Hopefully in a simple single seat tail dragger! The hrs still count as TT!

Your knackered old friend

Stik

TheKentishFledgling
30th Apr 2003, 02:18
Yup it's definately high on the list of things to do.

You can't take passengers until you're 17 and have the licence, but the only other restrictions are that you don't leave the UK FIR, and also that all flights are with "instuction authorisation".

So maybe not straight away in a single seat, but in a 152 (sorry ;) ), who knows......?

:} :}

tKF

oli carley
1st May 2003, 16:44
i got mine at 17 and 5 months and went solo around 16.

i heard that u could get a kind of deferred licence but not fly passengers until ur 17th birthday.

Evo
1st May 2003, 16:52
Doesn't a skills test pass at 16 just mean he's got rich parents ... i'd be more impressed if he passed at 18 having paid for it himself ;)

tacpot
1st May 2003, 18:11
Rich Parents? Possibly; but it still quite an acheivement! I think it is a measure of the chap's maturity that he has applied himself to pass the ground exams and the JAR Skill Test, regardless of where the money came from.

What a great boost to this chap's confidence this must be - that an aircraft owner (the flying school) trusts him to take £20,000 of their money into the sky and bring it back safely, with no other adult supervising him!

I expect he will go onto great things!

PPPPP
1st May 2003, 19:00
What a great boost to this chap's confidence this must be - that an aircraft owner (the flying school) trusts him to take £20,000 of their money into the sky and bring it back safely, with no other adult supervising him!

Couldn't agree more. I'm very impressed at anyone who can do all that by seventeen, I'm still amazed the school will let me out alone with their property, at the age of 51!

Juliet Papa
3rd May 2003, 21:32
Hmmm, Evo, I'd be careful if I were you... you've made a 16 yr old PPL really mad...:ooh:

Most of Marks lessons heve been paid for by flipping burgers under the golden arches or delivering pizzas on a moped in all weathers...not all young flyers have rich parents...

JP

Oh, and its not a £20,000 plane, its a brand new fully kitted 172 worth about £120k, so yes they do trust him...

Evo
3rd May 2003, 22:30
Hmmm, Evo, I'd be careful if I were you... you've made a 16 yr old PPL really mad...

Really mad? Why?

I said I'd be impressed if he was 18 and paid for it himself. Raising the 6 grand or so for the PPL at age 16 is even more of an achievement (especially on pizza-delivery pay!). Doing that (and not blowing the money on CDs and snakebite'n'black) is far more of an achievement for a 16 year-old than the skills test pass IMHO - flying an aeroplane well enough to get a PPL isn't very hard, to be honest, but paying for it is. Especially when you're 16 :ok:

OBK!
3rd May 2003, 22:42
I passed at 16 years and 11 months, self funded! (yes, you guessed...mcdonalds and salad packing! tho I did receive a contract at 16 to do "Website design and managenment" with a large company as I was a good boy on work experience:)) ( :oh: Got word from the CAA that I'm second youngest to get MEP, and 3rd youngest for IMC....doesn't help a lot to get a job tho (doh!).

i am lucky though, now 17 i am self funding my ATPL groundschool at the mo, but my father says if I get through this on my own, he'll help me out with the rest! I'm halfway to getting him to sign the 'contract'! :D

cheers
obk :ok: