PDA

View Full Version : Stick Pumping

18greens
29th Apr 2003, 17:34
I've noticed a lot of experienced pilots I fly with (not all) almost always pump the stick back and forwards on landing instead of smoothly bringing it back into the pit of your stomach just before the mains touch.

I've never noticed if I do it (I'm usually too busy thinking at the time and I always forget to ask other people to notice if I do it)

The question is, is this an accepted practice, if not how would you suggest teaching people to stop it?

Thanks

the wizard of auz
29th Apr 2003, 17:55
I would sugest that most experianced pilots do it because they have developed a "seat of the pants" feel and are making allowances for the slight changes during the landing. ( I know I do it) I think the student is taught to bring the stick smoothly back until landed as a way of landing the aircraft until they themselfs develop the "feel" for it.
I found that bringing the stick back smoothly works great in ideal conditions, but how often are the conditions perfect?.
just my own observations...... I could be totally wrong, and my landing method, something that instructors would smack me for.

tacpot
29th Apr 2003, 18:30
Uncomprehending 'pumping' is a bad idea, and one that some students probably fall into naturally while their comprehension of the process and the sensations involved are evolving.

Stopping the smooth motion of the control column to the rear briefly, in a coordinated effort to match the required angle of attack with the changing speed to achieve a correct hold-off is certainly permissible, and it is as correct to be holding the control column still when the mains touch down as it is to be moving the control column when they touch.

Are you sure they are acutally moving the stick forwards when they are 'pumping'?