PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Drawback

T6 BOY
29th Apr 2003, 02:00
Planning to go to the Channel Islands in the next couple of weeks,does anybody know the fuel drawback rate you can claim on the fuel you purchase in the CI's

Thanks for any replys

Chilli Monster
29th Apr 2003, 03:43
You can't claim any drawback on fuel purchased in the Channel Islands as it's not subject to Fuel Duty.

If you mean in this country prior to going it's 28.1p per litre.

Courtman
29th Apr 2003, 17:59
...but you CAN claim drawback on the fuel that you carry out of the UK to the Channel Isles. Current rate (I believe) is 0.2734p per litre.

foghorn
29th Apr 2003, 19:21
Neither has the correct figure although I think it's a typo in Courtman's case.

You can drawback the full duty which is 27.34 pence per litre - thankfully it hasn't gone up for a few years.

http://www.hmce.gov.uk/business/othertaxes/roadfuels.htm

Simply fill out a drawback form (HO60 I think), send in to Newcastle, then a few weeks later a cheque for the duty appears. Simple.

Archard
29th Apr 2003, 20:54
I have a query with regard to fuel receipts which I believe can be requested. If the tanks were empty and then filled prior to departure, then the receipt will prove full tanks, but if the tanks were already half full/empty, then the receipt will only show a partial uplift, so how does one then prove that full fuel was exported should proof be required?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Paul A.

Chilli Monster
29th Apr 2003, 23:01
foghorn

Thanks for the correction and link. I was told it had just changed in the recent budget - as you say thankfully not.

Archard

If you fly a group aircraft then it's easy - just get the originals from previous refuelling up to the maximum capacity of your tanks. Our group 'accountant' is quite happy with photocopies when you want to claim.

For a club aircraft it's slightly harder. All I can suggest is chat nicely to the club secretary and see if you can get some form of fuel receipt for the full amount - if they can print you one which they can then 'void' in a following transaction for their own accounting purposes that wil do the trick.

Ludwig
30th Apr 2003, 00:19
IME if you hire an a/c from a school or club, they hire it wet and they claim the drawback, giving them a few quid much needed extra profit on the flights. (Those that even know it can be done!)

What do others find?

FlyingForFun
30th Apr 2003, 00:25
Not at my club, Ludwig. The staff practically force a half-completed drawback form in your hands if you take one of their aircraft abroad (or if you take your own aircraft abroad I suspect, although I haven't tried that yet).

If your club is dishonest(?) enough to try to keep hold of money that is yours, maybe you should find another club?

FFF
-----------

18greens
30th Apr 2003, 21:20
I'm just filling out a drawback form as we speak . Foghorn thanks for the rate update.

Ludwig

I have found very few schools make a point of claiming it. It is fair enough but that just encourages me to go west instead of east. Most IME let you have it without qualms and will happily dig out the required receipts for the fuel.

Archard
As for getting fuel receipts just get enough (usually three invoices) which will prove the total capacity of the tank has been filled with UK tax paid fuel since its last trip abroad.

eg you need 180 litres, then receipts for 42, 69 and 125 litres exceeds 180l. Attach those to the form and £49 comes back several weeks later. Obviously the larger the tanks the greater the drawback. Turbo arrows at 70 gallons are great.

What amazes me are the number of operators who don't know what drawback is. I would imagine the unclaimed amount could supply a significant amount of flying. I guess they reckon the hassle is not worth the cash back.

PhilD
1st May 2003, 00:40
I can take any amount of hassle at the rate of £65 drawback for 10 minutes hassle....

bookworm
1st May 2003, 02:35
CM

I was told it had just changed in the recent budget - as you say thankfully not.

It did change to 28.1p, but apparently with an effective date of 1 October this year. Sorry if I misled elsewhere.

foghorn
1st May 2003, 17:37
So it is going up then :mad: .

Our friend Mr. Brown has added nearly 6p / litre AVGAS duty during his six year reign at the Treasury. His Tory predecessors added nearly 10p / litre in a similar period, but how much money does the treasury spend on GA?

B!gger all.

I wouldn't mind if the government funded LARS or subsidised GA airfields out of the duty, but they force the industry to fund them via ATC charges and landing fees.

At least road users get (mostly) free roads for their MOGAS duty...

Aussie Andy
14th May 2003, 01:08
I found this hard to get so have scanned into PDF format. If anyone needs it, it is here: http://members.lycos.co.uk/andyhardyuk/Customs/HO60_fuel_drawback_form.pdf

Just don't ask me any questions about how to fill it in!

Andy ;)

Fly Stimulator
14th May 2003, 01:49
I've got a Word version of the document which is handy because you can type into the fields to fill it in and you get a nice clean copy every time of course..

I can't remember where on the web I originally found it, though the document properties list an Ian Leader as the author, so all credit to him.

I have put it here (http://www.theflyingschool.co.uk/Drawback%20H0%2060.doc) for the benefit of the PPRuNe community.

IO540-C4D5D
14th May 2003, 21:13
Aussie Andy and Fly Stimulator

Well done! I couldn't find the form on the C&E site...

This stuff is very interesting. I have flown in several clubs and nobody ever mentioned this...

knobbygb
14th May 2003, 21:45
Two stupid questions from one who has never been to the Channel Islands (yet):

Does this drawback apply to all the fuel in the tanks on departure or just to that used en-route? It seems logical that any fuel that remains in the tanks and is brought back must surely be excluded as it wasn't permanently exported?

Secondly, why don't the money grabbing b*stards who run this country charge import duty on the fuel you 'import' on return to cancel out the drawback?

Fly Stimulator
15th May 2003, 07:08
I'm happy to say you can claim on all the fuel in the tanks when you leave the UK. If you're popping over to somewhere close like Le Touquet with full tanks it can pay for your lunch quite nicely.