PDA

View Full Version : Renting in California

Ace BigCat
28th Apr 2003, 22:28
I'm going to the US to rent a Piper Arrow for a flying holiday. I've shortlisted Anglo American Aviation (San Diego); Air Desert (LA) Rainbow Air (Long Beach) alkthough the latter won't let their Arrow go for the 10 days I want it so they offer a 2 year old C172 Injection instead. Does anyone have any recommendations or views on these companies?

Dude~
28th Apr 2003, 22:36
I flew Arrows from Air Desert Pacific for a fortnight once, pm for more info.

D

Julian
28th Apr 2003, 22:43
The 172s at Rainbow are very nice to fly. In fact in much better shape than the Arrow there, if you want to fly low wing then have a nice Archer III for hire. The Arrow gets used quite a bit for the commercial training so last time I was there it was looking a bit tired.

Aussie Andy
28th Apr 2003, 23:25
Was just browsing Air Desert Pacific's website and it says under the general renting details (http://www.adp-flight.com/aircraft/rentinfo.htm) page: Rental periods of more than 24 hours require the renter pilot to be instrument rated and instrument current; and Non-instrument rated renter pilots are limited daily rentals within a 350 mile radius of Brackett unless accompanied by an approved safety pilot.I haven't seen this sort of restriction before! I can understand it from their point-of-view, but surely this would put off a lot of VFR renters!

Andy

drauk
28th Apr 2003, 23:34
I second what Julian said about Rainbow Air. Their Arrow is very well worn - the suction pump packed up when I flew it though of course that could happen to any plane. Their 172's are great though, with panel mount GPS, autopilot and the nice feeling of being very new. I've not flown their Archer.

Several FBO's in the US have the kind of restrictions Andy has noted at Air Desert Pacific.

silvereagle
28th Apr 2003, 23:36
Anglo are great to work with but they only have one Arrow (N4438T). Provided it is not being used by a CPL student or someone doing a complex rating, it may be available. You would have to check with them first.

Give them a call on (619)448-9149. They can also hire in almost anything you want. Provided you have around 25 hours on type, you can normally get hold of almost anything via them.

I arranged this in Oct last year when they provided me with a BE-76 Duchess via Fred Sorbi's company at Montgomery Field (15 miles away).

topcat450
28th Apr 2003, 23:46
I had a look around Anglo-Ame-Air..when I was looking for places to do my PPL. but I wasn't impressed at all...but thats just my opinion of them - and that was 2 years ago now.

Aussie Andy
28th Apr 2003, 23:52
Several FBO's in the US have the kind of restrictions Andy has noted at Air Desert Pacific.Didn't spot similar restrictions when I looked at the conditions on Rainbow's rental page (http://www.rainbowair.com/prices.html) but may have missed the fine print!?

Andy

Charlie Zulu
29th Apr 2003, 00:12
I have flown Air Desert Pacific's Arrow III (N47455). The aircraft looks nice and is a delight to fly. It is equipped with an HSI with the D.I. part slaved to a remote compass. Has two Comms and two Navs (with the ILS being on the HSI). I was even getting the Arrow III on the same rate as their Arrow II as the Arrow II was taken away by two people requiring an IFR equipped arrow a day or two before I arrived at ADP (the plane they took was N39WT which I was booked to fly).

That was in September / October 2001 and they had just placed the following requirement into their hiring requirements:

"Rental periods of more than 24 hours require the renter pilot to be instrument rated and instrument current."

However as I was a repeat customer (flew their Archers in 2000) I was given the go ahead to fly wherever I liked for the two weeks I was over there for.

I haven't flown any of Anglo American's or Rainbow Air's airplanes to date but second half of July I will be able to comment on Anglo American's as I'm off to Anglo American for my FAA CPL/IR on June the 12th for a month. (Was meant to be in Naples, Florida from last Saturday but the flight school closed down).

Dude~
29th Apr 2003, 00:16
Are you sure you arent refering to Multi engine rental Andy? I know they have recently tightened up their restrictions but it always used to be incredibly flexible. Especially for singles.

Blimey, I just checke their site!!

I cant believe that!! Why do you have to be instrument rated to fly around Arizona?!! When I was there people were hiring planes for weeks on end and bimbling all across the states. Sod that. They were terrible aircraft anyway. Go somewhere eles.

Aussie Andy
29th Apr 2003, 00:50
Go somewhere else.I sure would!

Ace BigCat
29th Apr 2003, 01:28
Many thanks for all your comments.
I had been in contact with all 3 FBOs before I posted the message and I am leaning toward AAA but I just wanted to get some other opinions. The restrictions from Air Desert were the tightest but I've got round all of that that because my friend who will be with me is a 13000+ hour Captain on 747-400s with BA! I will have to do a complex checkout/instruction with any of them but AAA still looks the best value if I go for the Arrow.

The idea of Rainbow Air's 172 is attractive because its so new but as I am also using this to build hours toward a CPL the Arrow seemed a good idea. After all getting 45+ hours at $83 in the US is less than 50% of what it would be here!

Keep the replies coming!

Ian_Wannabe
29th Apr 2003, 01:53
Hey

I've flown at Anglo AA and wans't that impressed.

But if you're just renting the aircraft then I dont see why you'd get as much grief as I did :rolleyes:

Erm, the aircraft are tatty - I think the worst a/c was N-00B which crashed and got scrapped so they've probably got a better new aircraft.

The 172 N-AJ was a nice a/c to fly I must say.

Have fun! Its a great area to fly in!

Ian

Flying surfer
29th Apr 2003, 02:58
I was in CA last year October/Nov and flew with Air Desert. I was well impressed with the whole operation having hired from numerous other places and been promised a/c etc only to arrive and find I had to wait. I went with a friend who had been at AAA the previous year and he said he would never return.

Good luck

drauk
29th Apr 2003, 04:55
Ausie Andy, it's true that Rainbow Air didn't require an IR to fly their Arrow, so you're not missing the small print. It is other FBO's that have such restrictions.

BlipOnTheRadar
29th Apr 2003, 06:16
I spent about nine and a half months at AAA and flew all of their fleet. Most of the aircraft have had exciting lives. It is true N5100B did suffer a rather poor landing an was instantly turned into a "Texas Taildragger"... say no more!!

N133AJ, the C-172 is away on semi-permanent lease, so don't expect to fly that. The other C-172, N20650 is old!! Nuff said.

The Arrow of which you speak, N4438T, is, in theory used to train CPL students and complex ratings, however should someone turn up to go on a three week jolly in said aircraft, the student will be dropped like a sack of sh**e... I know from first hand experience.

California is a beautiful place to fly and getting 'flight following' takes the worry out of long cross country's.

Have you considered renting a twin? There is a place in Arizona that offer multi time at $110 per hour (including instructor) where-as at Anglo their Arrow is ($85 per hour for the rental plus $30 per hour for the instructor) $115 per hour, the only catch I can see is the Arizona school are not INS approved :ugh:

BlipOnTheRadar

18greens
29th Apr 2003, 19:07
If you are in SD try www.plusone.org . Not to everybodies taste but no silly rules about taking planes away and good rates.

englishal
30th Apr 2003, 04:52
I've flown both the Arrow, C172's and AIII at Rainbow, and would recommend the 172's / AIII for any sort of long X/C trek. The Arrow is used a lot for training, and has had its share of abuse. The 172's and Archer III on the other hand are excellent aircraft to fly, very good nick, plus the A3 has a two axis AP [as opposed to single axis in the 172s I believe] coupled to the GPS etc etc....

One other option which might suit your purposes, and if you plan to fly in the US again is to join a club, someone like Pacific Coast Flyers at Palomar. You pay a small monthly due [$19 /mo] which covers insurance etc, but get given a key to all their aircraft. If no one is using one, you can just take it away for a very reasonable hourly rate. They have a very nice Arrow IV for $83 /hr which should be possible to take away for extened periods. I am not sure on the issues of being a foreigner and joining the club, so it might be worth an email to them. You can also reserve online. Take a look at

http://www.pacificcoastflyers.org/

Cheers
EA:D

carb
30th Apr 2003, 05:51
Rainbow Air are pleasant and their newer 172s are cool except for missing the wheel cover thingies, which makes 5 knots of a difference in cruise I think?

Flight following around there is great until you slip up. I had a "Say again?" answered with "<sigh> Frequency change approved, squawk VFR, GOOOOOD BYE". I'm sure that wasn't what he said the first time :mad: I tihnk they recognise callsigns of frequent offenders so their patience is already worn thin before you even take to the skies, that's one trouble with renting from popular outfits for out-of-towners!

Julian
30th Apr 2003, 16:42
Rainbow never limited me when I was a VFR pilot BUT it may be worth checking with them on where you intend to take the aircraft. I say this as some flights require that you do a checkflight with an instructor there first due to unusual circumstances, i.e. Catalina Island (anyone who has been there will know why!!!), Big Bear and the Mexican Border (apparently people land at the wrong airport - i.e. wrong side of the border....enter nasty looking men with firearms!!!! Better safe than sorry.

j0_ey
25th Jun 2003, 20:26
I phoned up Rainbowair yesterday and they told me that for hour building only a maximum distance of 600 miles from the flight school is aloud... Which is highly annoying. :(

I'd be grateful if someone could prove me wrong as their 172sp's look perfect for x-country flying! :uhoh:

WestWind1950
26th Jun 2003, 02:25
heh! no one mentioned Golden State Flying Club in El Cajon at Gillespie Field!! My home club when I'm back in the States... very friendly people, very casual (no one running around in a shirt and tie!). Check them out at www.gsfc.com and tell them the crazy hometown girl from Germany sent you!! :p

WestWind1950