PDA

View Full Version : Completed my first flying lesson!!

Rugz
28th Apr 2003, 17:43
Rugz has taken the long awaited plunge and had his first, and may I add most definately not his last, flying lesson on Saturday.

The weather was overcast and it was raining a tad, so the instructor gave me the option of cancelling. I of course said I'd be more than happy going up in the bad weather and what a time we had :ok:

I'm convinced I learnt more about controlling the aircraft with todays weather than if I had gone up on a clear, sunny and windless day.

Anyway, everything went to plan. I got to fly the plane for a large part of the lesson, and in those bad conditions found it not too difficult control at all. It was rather fun dodging the cloud and having to continually adjust the heading to find the better parts of the weather.

Thanks to all at Shobdon (Herefordshire Aeroclub) for a great introduction to flying...I'll be back!! :D

Aussie Andy
28th Apr 2003, 17:58
Good on you Rugz! Good luck with the training... I've always thought its a great advantage to learn in this country in the environment (includes weather, airspace, etc.) that we have which can be challenging on occasions, yet which is the environment that you'll be flying in once yo uhave your license: so its great that your first lesson was not on a lovely day with puffy clouds against a blue sky background, as that would simply have been misleading ;)

Again, welcome!

Andy

big.al
29th Apr 2003, 00:12
Welcome to the Club, Rugz. Very good luck with the training, and remember that we all find some parts of the training difficult or frustrating, so if you have problems with RT, or your landings are initially lousy, or you can't quite judge the flare, remember that this is NORMAL and don't get disheartened!

The most important thing is to have FUN and remember you are joining an elite club of (poor but happy!) fliers!

WelshFlyer
29th Apr 2003, 03:23
Good for you! The slightly less than optimal weather should have provided you with a good grasp of flying in Rain and maybee wind?

Welcome to the club, fly safe, enjoy yourself, and above all - Don't stop till we are all calling you "Captain"

I can't speak for anyone else, but if you encounter any problems or the tough parts of flying don't hesitate to ask me.

Fly safe!

WelshFlyer

Saab Dastard
29th Apr 2003, 06:37
Nice one Rugz!

Now, for lesson 2, take your wallet in one hand and a box of matches in the other...

;)

Cheers

SD

LowNSlow
29th Apr 2003, 13:39
Or as the old Goon Show sketch went:

Eccles: "How much is that?"

Major Bloodnock: "Open your wallet and repeat after me 'help yourself'"

This is the usual scenario at the average flying club :hmm: Not saying that they are creaming it cos I know how much an aeroplane costs to run but it will always be expensive. Join the Popular Flying Association (www.pfa.org) and find out how to make it cheaper.

Maxflyer
29th Apr 2003, 14:46
Make that http://www.pfa.org.uk/ otherwise you will end up with the polyurethane foam association!