PDA

View Full Version : Looking forward to some R&R at TC.

jobsfortheboys
28th Apr 2003, 06:23
After some 10 years at EGLL working Tower and Radar , I'm looking forward to the possibility of a posting to the location of the pros benchmark at West Drayton. Myself and 20 chums are inbound to check out the local talent and the availability of footgrooves on the consoles for our weary feet. We feel we deserve the rest & what with 4 per watch and no nights we should be able to avail ourselves of the opportunity. Please , no baskets of fruit or Hawaaian garlands on our arrival , we aim to seemlessly amalgamate unnoticed . Remember we are all ATCO2 brothers , standing shoulder to shoulder against the mighty swaithe . Keep the faith and do`nt have nightmares.

Thames
28th Apr 2003, 15:47
Yes - well said Jobs.

Are we allowed to keep the loudspeaker on?

Our watch rep said that as the LL Approach boys got a few extra quid when they moved that we should to.

A few hundred quid is better than nowt.

wheres tha smokers room ? i hope its closer than the one we use

vertigo
28th Apr 2003, 23:51
Welcome, welcome

smokers room is being turned into management offices.
You're all on the 7.30 dinner sitting, oh and no parking in my space.

Are you boys looking forward to cutting your teeth on a proper radar sector ?

When are you coming ?
Will there be anyone left to do the tower ?

GT3
29th Apr 2003, 00:02
Will there be anyone left to do the tower ?

Only some managers! :ok:

Thames
29th Apr 2003, 00:40
Thank you

Won't the managers get a bit peeved at me smoking in their office?

We hope you look after us - we will no doubt be in awe at the skills on show around the room (does not apply to Luton. Or Stansted of course:)) It's like leaving the school you have been to and going to the grown ups school. I do hope we don't get picked on by the older kids like Luton were :D (Are we allowed to pick on them as well!??:ouch:

No one knows when this will happen - was hoping to get some gen from here! Are the positions ready yet?

Of course, as we won't have LV's any more, Mrs Thames won't have to look like a refugee in the supermarket on the first of the month. Bless. £44 less beer tokens for me though :(

Things are moving - the Heathrow MATS pt2 has been re-written and the Thames and SVFR tidied up for ease of insertion in yr book. I personally will bring all 6 pages.

Can't wait - all those bright lights, the grease paint..............

vertigo
29th Apr 2003, 01:28
......the smell of the crowd etc etc.

I had heard November was likely for the move. It shouldn't be too bad as most of you must know a few people on watch (at least on LL radar). Felt a bit sorry for the Stansted and Luton controllers joining such a big unit.
Surprised to hear your comments about SS and GW as they were looking forward to taking the p$$ out of you.

Once you get used to saluting the military you'll settle in fine.

What will you do instead of nights ? Four per watch gives one on leave, three working, isn't that ample ?
What will you do when us shift workers are on nights ?

Are they just going to switch the SMF off when Thames radar comes over ? ;)

Point Seven
29th Apr 2003, 01:44
Jobs

I've seen you in the tower and it's hardly greased lightning. Sounds like more of the same for you, my boy.;)

Thames
29th Apr 2003, 02:01
Vertigo....

are you saying we are going to be 2nd class citizens to Stansted and Luton?! Surely not!!:D :oh:

Believe it or not we need to man all three positions during the busy times. When on 28 we need a co-ordinator (due to lack of free flow and the need for 4 phone calls per outbound!) and on 10 need a No 2 as the base leg turn is kinda critical - and 132.7 gets the usual LARS type calls (no - it ain't a bloody LARS Unit!)

Not sure about the nights. I am happy to come in and sleep. Wait a minute, that will be Saturday afternoon and Sunday mornings in the winter!!:)

Now, about my footie season ticket........

Seriously, when we are all press ganged into doing LHR/STN/LGW whatever that will all change.

Point seven, 'jobs' is the hardest working Thames/Tower/Special bod. Not his fault he is crap.

Bombay Bad Boy
29th Apr 2003, 02:18
So its actually gonna happen ! They've been saying it since 1996 ! Hope the character you have overseeing this transition is smooth, dynamic and on the ball !!!

urmmmm :sad:

BBB

Thames
29th Apr 2003, 02:35
I will not have our new leader spoken about in such a way.

He is, our TOP man.

:yuk: :p

jobsfortheboys
29th Apr 2003, 03:15
tHAMES I mAY be crap but good looks go a long way , just ask the girls , in fact ask your missus............ satisfaction guaranteed know what i mean.

Thames
29th Apr 2003, 03:37
Sorry jobs no offence meant old boy. Didn't really mean you were crap - it was a joke. Ironic in a way, as you are da best...aiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!:ok:
We should stand together as we march on in our quest to conquer the world.Well, TC to start with.

You are good looking - I must admit. (Have you ever met Mrs Thames). Saw sum pics of you in the book t'other day. Knicker sniffer (were they spunkies?)

Aluminium Importer
29th Apr 2003, 03:39
The base leg turn is kinda critical on Heathrow too (to make sure we get the correct spacing over and over again).

But we don't need to split the position and get another controller to do it!

Tongue in cheek!

AI

Thames
29th Apr 2003, 04:09
Yes - and your nasty big planes get in the way of our Fokkers when we are on 10 and you are on the 27's.

Please ensure you adhere to the new descent profile of not below 4000 until 7 DME as we always forget to turn ours. The crews love to see Kew Gardens though!

Thanks

:8

Captain Spunkfarter
29th Apr 2003, 04:12
Many years ago, a fine man described Thames as a TIN POT RADAR. That man is no longer with us. I mean, no he's not dead, he just works at Kemble Street.

Here's a poem I wrote. It's called The Thames, although I'm having some copyright problems with that.

Vectors for approach to Runway 28
Sipping my tea and eating my bait
Time to go home it's quarter-past eight.

AlanM
29th Apr 2003, 04:29
Who do you think you are, Sir John Betjeman?

Overrated.

Aluminium Importer
29th Apr 2003, 17:56
As we speak, the new traffic manager's desk is being built. This will free up 3 radar positions (the old LL, KK and SS/GW EAT suites).

Either Heathrow will move up to the end and you guys will slot in between Heathrow and TC South or you will just take the three available slots without anyone else having to move. I'm not sure which.

As of yet, I'm not sure where your big map is going to go - but you won't need that torch thing, because we have lights where we are. Maybe you could encourage NATS management to sell the torch to make a bit of money. :oh:

Also, our radars are square and show colours other than orange. Mainly blue and green but occasionally white and then red. I'm not sure how the processed data suits the SVFR / low level operation etc (neither could I give a monkey's toss). :p

By all means come across the road one day and have a look. Phone the TM / GS on the day, and a same-day visit can be arranged in a minute.

I will try and find out anything else you guys wish to know.

AI

Bombay Bad Boy
29th Apr 2003, 19:25
Captain..... any chances of you gracing the old Thames when you get a bit old and grey and can't hack it any more ?

Anyway...... Got a cunning plan ! In fact its so cunning that you could sell the end product back to NATS under the label - 'Spunky Fiennes Productions' and they'd buy it ! Shed loads of cash !

Just think you'd make enough money to get a proper roadster like mine! Think......... "ONE OF THE TEAM" !! the opportunity is there waiting to be taken mate.

BBB:ok: