PDA

View Full Version : Air Europe

SOPS
26th Apr 2003, 01:59
With all the talk about AE going on in this forum at the moment, I was just wondering, could someone who REALLY knows, lets us all know why they collapased? Thanks, From SOPS

middlepath
26th Apr 2003, 05:03
simple answer: wan--ers must have been runing the airlines.

BlueEagle
26th Apr 2003, 09:13
There is a book written by Graham M. Simons called:
"It's Nice To Fly With Friends", ISBN1 870384 69 5
which will give you a fairly good idea.

It certainly wasn't all w@nkers running it and there was some external sabotage from the big boys.

Anti-ice
27th Apr 2003, 03:24
EXACTLY.

Excellent airline , Great people , Great memories .

Would have gone far , and an obvious threat to others.:(

Typical 80's/90's high ambition smashed by recesssion/gulf war.

Amazon man
27th Apr 2003, 04:41
I can only agree with the comments of the previous post an excellent airline the only one I ever wanted to work for and thankfully I managed to fly Air Europe aircraft but only for 12 months.

Very pleasant and friendly colleagues with an atmosphere at work in which every one knew they were working for a special airline,I have never experienced this since and don't expect to in the future.

Great shame about its downfall certainally some bad management decisions made, but if it had been down to the staff Air Europe would have been the finest airline flying today.

Devils Advocate
27th Apr 2003, 07:33
Amazon - I too ( for six plus years ) was a cog in that big wheel which became AE – and they were indeed some of the best years that I’ve ever had in the aviation business – and I too also have a ( ‘signed’ ) copy of the book 'It was nice to fly with friends'.

If one were to look where many of the people who worked at AE have now risen too, one can see that it was indeed staffed by some very talented people – albeit that they were people who were non the wiser as to the machinations and skulduggeries that were taking place at the board level of the controlling company - The International Leisure Group ( ILG ) - beig what caused the UK arm of AE to collapse.

Ps. Not that it matters much now, but it was actually little ole' me who came up with the AE Scheduled Service’s slogan of 'Now you have a real choice' - I put that phrase in the AE suggestions box whereupon some jumped-up basturd in the marketing department plagiarised it as his/her own - not that I'm bitter about it ( DA typed, 14 years down the road ).