PDA

View Full Version : Recruitment perception of SEP hours

Fan Marker
24th Apr 2003, 17:05
I have about 1000 hours TT of which about 400 are business Jet hours and 100 are MEP hours.
It has been suggested to me that adding a few further SEP hours amongst my business jet time will be viewed negatively by prospective airline employers to the extent that I should not log further SEP time!
This sounds wrong to me, but what does anyone else think?

FougaMagister
27th Apr 2003, 01:08
Hi - funny you should ask that; while I have nowhere near that many flt. hrs., I have asked the same question at a recent Airline Orientation Training recruitment seminar; they (they're all F/Os and Capts) agreed that twin hrs. were what airlines were interested in, NOT SEP.

However, they reckoned that MEP hrs, particularly IFR, were expensive to say the least, so they recommended to keep current by doing 1-2 hrs/month on a flight sim; turns out way cheaper, and apparently looks better than extra SEP time on a CV.

Cheers

fireflybob
27th Apr 2003, 01:55
Personally I would say the more hours the better - keep logging EVERYTHING! You never know when those extra few hours may be useful.

Types and classes are, of course, relevant and also type of flying, e.g. instruction at an approved commercial establishment might be viewed differently to the local flying club, etc. (this comment is not intended in any way to denigrate the latter since there are many who instruct to a high standard there)