PDA

View Full Version : Nigels.

MoFo
24th Apr 2003, 14:52
Down here in Orstralia we often hear the sounds of those British Airways pilots on the RT with those posh Southern accents. We just KNOW they are all called Nigel.

Can anyone tell me do British Airways employ those from Northern England such as Geordies and Mackams? Indeed what about Scotsmen and the like? You know, those great people who like a pint and have a sense of humor.

How can it be called British Airways? Should be more like Southern England Airways.

Can anyone enlighten this little Aussie bleeder. My old Uncle George from Sunderland can't recall any locals working there.

beamer
24th Apr 2003, 15:32
Not just Speedbird I'm afraid old boy - even in the charter world
you hear of 'Monaaaaarch' and 'THE Britannia' on the airwaves !

To be fair, most of the Nigels are thoroughly nice fellows - though
somewhat strangely most of the real toffs are civil pilots through
and through - untainted by any time with those awfully common
military types. Please also remember that to be a real 'Nigel' ,flying should just be a gentlemans hobby - one's aviation income pays for the BMW - one's real private income is what pays the bills for the staff on one's estate in the country.

Toodle pip then old boy - our regards to the colonies..........

ETOPS
24th Apr 2003, 15:53
MoFo

I think you are being a bit stereotypical Bruce! Do all Qantas crew live on Bondi Beach?
I am a BA 777 Captain and a proud Yorkshireman. Born and bred in Leeds I can count at least a dozen "tykes" just in my circle of colleagues. The tartan army in BA imposes it's celtic voice on all fleets and we have a large contingent of Ulstermen who nobody can understand.

What you must appreciate is the deadening effect on accent of R/T and the need to speak slowly and clearly to Australian ATC!

Captain Stable
24th Apr 2003, 16:30
You've obviously never heard £6 on the R/T!:O :ok: