PDA

View Full Version : Where is the best breakfast????????

BRL
23rd Apr 2003, 21:11
Hi all. I recently had the full english at Shoreham. It was ok, filled the gap but a bit expensive at a fiver though. No toast or bread just a huge sausuage, beans, bacon, egg, mushrooms and a bit of fried bread underneath it all. Best bit was the ice-cold fresh orange.
I was wondering, (barring transport caffs,) what airfield does the best brekky and why? Over to you........

Evo
23rd Apr 2003, 21:27
Goodwood does a fine fryup. Just dont do aeros afterwards... :yuk: :ugh: :ooh: :uhoh:

ratsarrse
23rd Apr 2003, 22:01
Now this is a thread we can really get our teeth into...

Sorry...:D

FlyingForFun
23rd Apr 2003, 22:05
A vote for White Waltham from me. Menu consists of all of the things you'd expect in a normal fry-up - you pick 5 of them, or you can pick more than 5 for an additional cost. Or there's options like the good old bacon sarny if you don't fancy the real thing.

Yum :ok:

FFF
----------

Pilotage
23rd Apr 2003, 22:22
I've yet to see anything quite compare with Thruxton's all-day breakfasts.

P

AerBabe
23rd Apr 2003, 22:33
Yes, the fry up at White Waltham is pretty good, but Sleap does excellent bacon and stilton sandwiches.

panjandrum
23rd Apr 2003, 22:59
I have to recommend the Southend Terminal Coffee shop. It's now under new management; so out have gone the 'Old crows' that used to lurk therein, and now replaced by something a lot more pleasing on the eye. (Thats just the bloke;) )
Opens up now around 8 am, so perfect for that early start. Food is great, ample portions, price O.K, still cheap for Airport prices.
I'd give it 5 Stars out of 5.

Had one of their sandwiches for lunch t'other day, and I kid you not, it was 3 inches thick! overflowing with filling, would have fed two people at a push!

BlueRobin
23rd Apr 2003, 23:05
Large all-day breakfast with everything for £4 at Wellesbourne. Mug of tea and copy of The Sun extra :ok:

topcat450
23rd Apr 2003, 23:10
My favourite place is no-where near an airfield, but if someone would like to take up the "Monster Roll" Challenge I'd fly in to test how good it is.....

All you need is:
1 Torpedo shaped white bread roll
2 large sausages...well cooked (fried)
60g tinned chopped tomatoes thoroughly cooked (in a frying pan)
2 rashers bacon...cooked to your liking (fried)
1 fried egg (done in the juice of everything previously cooked)

Cut down the side of the roll, shovel toms in first...then bacon..then egg..then sausages on top. I prefer brown sauce then...tomatoe sauce just makes it a bit to tommy-fied. But mmmmmm lovely.

iainpoll
23rd Apr 2003, 23:43
Stapleford big brekkie is great for £4.95 (i think)

Bacon (2) Sausage (2) fried eggs (2) Black Puddin, Baked Beans, Tomatoes, Fried bread, 2 slices of toast + jam...

Cant eat it though, would bust the C152 MTOM!

BRL, I'll pick you up at Shoreham, and you can try it for lunch if ya like :ok:

No aeros though, or you will:yuk:

Aussie Andy
24th Apr 2003, 00:24
Well, as much as I love my home airfield, I don't recommend "Happy Landings" at Wycombe ('nuff said!)... suffice to say the catering is not the greatest attraction at our airfield: but at least they have beer ;)

Glad to hear above that Southend catering has improved: this will avoid the "need" to go over to McD's across the road then...!

Andy

BlueRobin
24th Apr 2003, 00:35
One and only time I went to Waltham was last year. The Italian hostess served up our food outside. On noticing a lack of condiments, she shouted sternly at the top of her voice, "SO WHERE'S YOUR KNIFE AND FORK, EH? DID YOU FORGET IT? WELL, YOU BETTER GO INSIDE AND GET IT, THEN!"

:{

Won't be going htere again in a hurry.

Aussie Andy
24th Apr 2003, 00:39
BlueRobin - that's outrageous, did you complain? (IMHO - as an Australian - I find you English lot often too reticent to complain...)

[flame resitance ON] ....

bingoboy
24th Apr 2003, 05:11
Anyone know if Fenland still do the "loss of medical" brekkie ??

VP8
24th Apr 2003, 14:50
Andrewsfield down here in Essex do a mean all day breakfast 2 sausage, 2 bacon, 2 hashbrowns, fried egg, beans, tomatoes, 2 slices toast or bread and butter!!

Does me well enough just before a night shift...

Plus there's the bar if the Wx is a Delta Sierra....

VEEPS:ok:

Andy_R
24th Apr 2003, 16:08
Always left Shobdon feeling rather more than satisfied with their breakfast offering.

Northern Highflyer
24th Apr 2003, 17:09
Looks like the only way to find the best one is for us to fly to all these airfields and try them over the summer.

Lots of flying and lots of grub - ahhhhhh heaven !

I am sure theres a couple of people on here would be willing to put up with such a demanding task. ;)

buzzc152
24th Apr 2003, 18:37
Despite all it's faults Elstree does a pretty good full English with various options and add ons for about a fiver.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
24th Apr 2003, 18:41
Barton does a good 'all day' breakfast, including a mug of tea, for about 3 pounds fifty. Their bacon and egg barms are pretty good, too.

And I'd agree with AB, Sleap do good bacon sarnies. They used to do a cracking brakfast in the days when catering was in the 'big shed', rather than the tower.

SSD

Hersham Boy
24th Apr 2003, 20:51
BRL - squinting at a FIVER for brekkie?! You from Liverpool or something? ;)

The cafe at IOW Sandown does great coffees... I've never eaten but I'd wager on a decent brekkie.

AB - Bacon & Stilton sarnies...? *drools gently*

Hersh

maggioneato
24th Apr 2003, 20:59
Yup, it's got to be Shobdon, go in there for fuel, that's my excuse. Big breakfast with chips. Can't beat it. :D

Andy_R
24th Apr 2003, 23:06
Good point Hersham Boy ;)

Where in Brighton do you know BRL, that you can buy a decent breakfast for under a fiver????

BRL
25th Apr 2003, 00:45
Brekky for less than a fiver in Brighton......Divals, little caff opposite station does breakfast No2, everything on it for £3.50 inc mug o' tea then of course you have the famous Gutbuster at the all night diner opposite the market. Can't eat a whole one never mind eating a full Mega-buster, outragous.....Then there is..... :D

iainpoll
25th Apr 2003, 00:52
Sounds like you have it well sorted, oh big red one.....

Kinda makes me wonder why you asked:D

Evo
25th Apr 2003, 01:04
<nostalgia>
Ah, the Gutbuster. Remember it well from my student days in Brighton. A fine hangover cure... :)
</nostalgia>

iainpoll
25th Apr 2003, 01:10
Strangest brekkie I ever had was in Anchorage, Alaska, all the usual stuff, but also included a Moose steak!:yuk: Serious.

cblinton@blueyonder.
25th Apr 2003, 01:55
The Av8 at Kemble do a fantastic FULL english for around a fiver and it is top.
The Restaurant is lisenced to so if the weathers crap you can get dug in.::p

ENJOY:O

deanofs
25th Apr 2003, 02:05
Sues all day refuelling brekkie at Sherburn is great too

Sue's Re-fuelling Station In the great setting of Sherburn Aero Club you will find Sue's much acclaimed breakfasts. They have been mentioned many times in Pilot and Flyer magazines.
and all in at £3.45 !!!!

http://www.sherburn-aero-club.org.uk/

Flying Tooth Driller
25th Apr 2003, 03:42
The smartest one we've seen is the new restaurant/bar at Kemble.

Proper space-age loos too :-)

TheKentishFledgling
25th Apr 2003, 04:15
Yup, Kemble get a vote from the Fledgling....and I had the brekkie mid afternoon! :O

Rochester are also very good....and my mate's just taken over managing the cafe :}

tKF

camaro
25th Apr 2003, 05:28
Huge Full English Brekkie at Netherthorpe...known locally as the "Fat Boy Special".

Bacon x2, large sausage x2, hash brown x2, fried egg, beans, black puddin' x2 , tomato, toast/fried bread/bread & butter...all for just less than a fiver.

Also it's served all day!

MightyGem
25th Apr 2003, 10:33
Merseyside Air Support Group at Woodvale, any Saturday morning when D Flight are on duty:

3 large sausages
2 rashers of bacon
slice of black pudding
tomato
haloumi cheese
2 eggs
half tin of baked beans
mushrooms
homemade bread
orange juice.

All for the princely sum of £2.00

Puts us over MAUW for at least two hours. :D :D

Pete O'Tewbe
25th Apr 2003, 16:05
Haverfordwest offer a reasonable FEB incl tea and toast for 3 squid but I think Stapleford gets my vote i.e not for slimmers.