PDA

View Full Version : Closest airfield to Rochdale

FNG
23rd Apr 2003, 18:34
Greetings to SSD and other whippet-loving black pudding eaters from this soft southerner. So soft and southern am I that I don't possess a current north of England chart (I bought one after I got my licence but never used it). All of this may change as I am thinking of flying to look at an old car in Rochdale. Until I can buy a chart, all I can see is Barton, tantalisingly poised on the edge of the map, just where it says "here be dragons".

Is there any GA field closer to Rochdale than Barton? If not, I assume that a taxi around the M60/62 will cost me approximately four shillings in northern money. All guidance on your quaint northern customs gratefully received.

topcat450
23rd Apr 2003, 18:57
An old car in Rochdale? Oop north where the first incarnation of a Mini is considered new....I presume you must be looking at a Model T Ford....:p

<TC> (from t'other side of the pennines)

PS...Remember to bring your sheepskin-flying jacket...it gets awfully cold north of Watford. Although you may find your treated like a god Oop north coming to earth in one of the magical flying machines, if you don't stick to your time-table they'll have you crowned God before tea-time :O

FNG
23rd Apr 2003, 19:06
sounds reet fabulous TC, and there was me thinking that strangers were killed and eaten (or is that just in Norfolk?)

Pilotage
23rd Apr 2003, 19:26
Mainair/Pegasus, who are UK's largest microlight manufacturer are based in Rochdale. They do all their company test flying from Manchester(Barton) so I'd guess that's almost certainly the nearest reasonable sized airfield.

P

FNG
23rd Apr 2003, 20:55
Drat, I should have gone today, as the Notams say that the Barton runways are closed tomorrow morning and there's weather coming in.

Aussie Andy
23rd Apr 2003, 21:04
G'day FNG! So, if you like the car: how will you get the aircraft back!?

Andy ;)

FNG
23rd Apr 2003, 22:56
Well, the jalopy has a big boot but I can't be ersed taking the wings off, so I guess it'll be an aerotow down the M6 (taking care to fly under the bridges).

Negative 'G'
24th Apr 2003, 03:15
If Bartons closed, Try Huddersfield which from memory I don't think is too much further by Horse n cart to Rochdale, then you can really say that you've been 'Ooooop north' :D

Oh thats unless off course it's over the edge of the world on your chart :rolleyes:

Tip: Turn East at Barton = Yorkshire (Oh climb for terain avoidance too:D)

Neg G:D

PA38
24th Apr 2003, 03:56
I come from sunny Rochdale (bye heck) and the Barton is the best option, about 15 mins by motorway.
Or if you are a cheap skate get a lift to the Trafford center and you can get a bus to Rochdale, might have to wait whilst he feeds the horse though;)
You could even arrange a hire car, but that might require too much planning for a southern softie:rolleyes:
If you need directions just give me the address and I will give you directions from the motorway.
Oh yeh and watch the BUMPS at Barton, your guaranteed at least 3 landings;)

Sir George Cayley
24th Apr 2003, 08:44
But just have another look at those NOTAMS

There are 2 east west Runways 27/09 and 27/09North
There are regular closures of either but never both at the same time

Suggest www.lancsaeroclub.co.uk and go to the section about flying in - its very informative

Landing Fees only a fiver or so - thats £49.95 in Lun'un money!

Oh and dont forget MAN APP's new freq

Sir Georger Cayley

The air is a navigable ocean that laps at everyones door

FNG
24th Apr 2003, 13:40
Thanks people. The weather has gone yuck and I unexpectedly have to work today so I will have to wait a bit before finding out what it's like to go flying in clogs.

poetpilot
24th Apr 2003, 15:25
If you're up on a w/e FNG, I may be able to help with a lift to Rochdale (as long as SWMBO hasn't scheduled me for anything else)

email: [email protected]

FNG
24th Apr 2003, 15:31
That is very kind indeed, poetpilot. I have sent you an e-mail.

I suppose that if I was going to Merseyside it would be customary to solve my local transport problems by twoccing a motor from the airfield car park.

topcat450
24th Apr 2003, 17:19
Just remember its polite oop north to take a sugar lump or two with you to give the pony the energy to drag your wallet all the way into town with you.:O

mikebaynes
25th Apr 2003, 21:30
If you want to be a bit soft, try manchester international.
Anuther 15 mins on from Barton by fast stage coach.
But two 3k runways, that you can use no matter how much it
has been raining.
well it is manchester.

FNG
25th Apr 2003, 23:36
What me, land at a big airport, pay handling fees, wear a silly yellow jacket, with my reputation?

My aeroplane thrives on bumpy grass runways, hates tarmac and concrete, hates taxiing any distance, so Barton will be fine by me.