PDA

View Full Version : SA 102.5 Cavalier

Skylark4
23rd Apr 2003, 15:52
Four of us have bought an uncompleted project and have been able to find little about the aircraft on the internet. Does anyone have any experience of the Cavalier. Please respond if you know anything. I have had a similar post on the PFA website for at least a week and there has been no response at all.

Mike W

FlyingForFun
23rd Apr 2003, 16:02
Sorry, never heard of it. But are you in contact with the PFA inspector who was supervising the original builder? Seems like an obvious starting point to me...

Good luck!

FFF
-------------

LowNSlow
23rd Apr 2003, 17:24
Try G-INFO on the CAA website there are 6 on the British register. There was one in Swanton Morley 3 or 4 years ago. I heard that it had suffered an accident so I don't know if it's still registered.

Kingy
23rd Apr 2003, 18:52
Hi Mike,

A good friend of mine used to have one of these and operated it out of Eastbach for a few years. Check your PMs for his Email address..

Best

Kingy

Skylark4
24th Apr 2003, 05:26
FFF
Don`t Know who the inspector was, we did not purchase from the original builder and it was last worked on in 1978. I guess the inspector will be identified in the build book, one of the other chaps has that.

LNS
I assume that can be searched for aircraft type. Good thinking. Thank you.

Kingy
Got your PM, Thank you. I will e-Mail him.

Mike W.

Further contributions welcome.

Aerohack
24th Apr 2003, 18:20
The Cavalier was a developed version of the French Gardan GY-20 Minicab, with revised cabin design, swept fin/rudder and tricycle gear. It was marketed in plan and kit form by K+S Aircraft of Canada (Kay and Stan McLeod), and also by another Canadian company called Squairecraft, but I can't recall off the top of my head which came first. The original SA.102 suffered lateral stability problems, apparently solved by the Cessna 310-style upswept tip tanks on the '.5'. A substantial number were registered as PFA projects, but few seem to have been completed. PFA Engineering should have plenty of data on file.

Sir George Cayley
25th Apr 2003, 06:28
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?aircraft_genericsearch=Squarecraft%20SA102-5%20Cavalier&distinct_entry=true

For those interested in what it looks like

Sir George Cayley

The air is a navigable ocean that laps at everyones door

SlipSlider
25th Apr 2003, 18:53
G-BDLY has been operated by the same owner for at least 10 years, lately based at Thruxton. I've mislaid the owners phone number, but I'll PM you if I find it; in the meantime perhaps a call to the airfield might put you in touch with him. 'LY is a tailwheel Cavalier, with an O-290 engine, and with tip-tanks and a short fuselage must be quite challenging in cross-winds.
Slip

Skylark4
27th Apr 2003, 07:46
Aerohack,
Thankyou, some of that I knew, some I didn`t, the information base is building.

Sir George.
Nice picture, I hadn`t found that one.

SlipSlider.
Yes, Phone No. please, if you come across it.

I had an e-Mail from a Canadian friend, Butch Foster from Calgary. I belatedly realised that one of the aircraft he showed me that he had built, was a Cavalier so he has responded with some info.

Mike W

LowNSlow
27th Apr 2003, 12:45
slipslider, I also heard that the tailwheel version was a bit of a handful with it's unsprung undercarriage, tip tanks and short fuselage, especially on a bumpy strip. Nice looking aeroplane though.

Kingy, I hope the version flown from Eastbach was a trike given the slope and camber you have there :D :D

Skylark4, good luck with the project

Kingy
27th Apr 2003, 18:05
Nope!

My mate Steve (you met him the other day) flew it quite safely for a couple of years. He's got the Taylor Mono and a Sipa 91 now. HE was the one saying our Tuholer was not suitable for the field - pah!

K