PDA

View Full Version : Airside Driving Infringments

pilotwolf
23rd Apr 2003, 04:20
Not sure the title is the best for the question but her goes...

I have deliberately left this a few weeks to avoid any embarrassment to those involved and will leave the details sketchy for the same reason.

If a vehicle operating on the maneuvouring area repeatedly ignores or incorrectly follows direct instructions from GMC can ATC request the withdrawl of the drivers' airside permit?

I undestand that Airfield Operations have the responsibilty for monitoring airfield driving standards and related safety, but individual companies are responsible for driver training and examination, (either directly or through an approved trainer).

The reason I ask is a vehicle driver recently had severe problems in taking clearances and even when the clearances were copied correctly failed on follow them - ie using different taxiways to those he/she was cleared for. I think this happened 5 or 6 times in one day...

vintage ATCO
23rd Apr 2003, 04:31
A company may be responsible for the training and examination of its employees for driving on the manoeuvring area but it is the airport that actually issue the pass. If someone was consistantly breaching clearances then we would press heavily for removal of that pass, and expect it to be done.

Realistically, someone (from the airport) needs to sit down with the company and possibly invidual and see what the problem is, and then resolve it. It is, after all, a breach of Rule 36.

Good luck!

VA

Barnaby the Bear
23rd Apr 2003, 19:19
It sounds like you are at a large airport with lots of movements. But can't you as ATCO decline clearence onto the manouvering area if he is not following instructions. And thus constitutes a hazard?
I am just interested to know also.:8

Gonzo
23rd Apr 2003, 19:41
Barnaby,

You're 'In Kylie's bed' and you're thinking about this?

Priorities!!:D

Gonzo.

FWA NATCA
23rd Apr 2003, 23:45
Pilotwolf,

In the US controllers are not enforcers of the rules. If we have problems with a vechicle driver, we contact the airport authority who promptly tracks down the individual driver. I've seen vechicle drivers be fined anywhere from $100 to $1,000 US and/or had their airfield license revolked for incursions, so most vechicle operators are careful because none of them want to be fined or loose their jobs.

Mike
NATCA FWA

Spitoon
24th Apr 2003, 02:11
Don't know how it works in detail in other countries but in the UK the aerodrome licensee has overall responsibility for making sure that drivers are competent although this is often delegated to vehicle operators or other third parties at large airports.

If a driver is not up to the job then a word with the airport ops people should get it sorted.

If it was unsafe or if not action is taken by the airport I would say it falls within the MOR scheme and should get reported.

brockenspectre
24th Apr 2003, 03:19
without getting too cross-eyed about it, why would a driver disregarding instructions in the circumstances outlined above not be considered a security risk? Presumably those with airside permits are security cleared and not allowed to drive until the security clearance is complete? If not, and they are permitted to start work prior to completion of security checks, then I would be very concerned that someone is, relatively speaking, randomly checking out parts of the apron/taxiways they were not meant to be on...OR..am I way off beam here. Please feel free to correct me (nicely!) ... I just wanna know, as they say!

Thanks.

:)

pilotwolf
24th Apr 2003, 21:08
Had hoped a certain PPRuNer might reply as I thought it was him working GMC and sure he would remember...

Don't think there was a security risk of any description and GMC were obviously aware of the problem and I presume were watching for any traffic conflicts - hence him being pulled up on the errors. It certainly didn't seem to be deliberate disregard to instructions.

And no I don't work for the company involved - nor do I know which company it was!

It sounded, on the air, more like a case of being unable to cope with the 'multi-tasking' of copying clearance - presumably without pen and paper and actually relating it to what was then required.

Barnaby the Bear
24th Apr 2003, 23:18
Gonzo. Kylie has just gone to make me a cuppa and Bacon sarnie.:ok:

bandit54
27th Apr 2003, 05:36
the issuing of an airside driving licence is an absolute discrace
it is done by an outside company who don't seem to give a toss about airside safety
airside passes are shown along with uk driving licence
we were then given 2 sheets of paper with some rules on to read then asked to hand them back
got given an exam paper with about 30 multi choice questions plus the answers :oh:
need less to say we all got 100% :ok:
we only got to see a safety video because we asked to watch it to kill some time before we got a lift back to site
no tours no reference material
no chance :sad:

niknak
28th Apr 2003, 05:21
PilotWolf

If you know who this person is, and it seems that you do, shop them ASAP, you have a legal and moral responsibility to do so.
If they are deliberately ignoring instructions on the manouvering area, they are a severe risk not only to themselves, but many others.
There are several anonymous ways of doing it, but a confidential report to the aerodrome authority should suffice, and go someway to ensuring that this person never works airside again.

Bandit

I don't know where you work, but I can assure you that your situation is very rare throughout the UK.
It sounds like the airport authority are only paying lip service to what should be taken very seriously. Perhaps a submission to CHIRP would be in order.

If anyone thinks I am ranting or preaching, I've witnessed the first hand results of failure to comply with such procedures, it wasnt pretty and it took 23 hours to find all the pieces.

bandit54
29th Apr 2003, 08:14
LHR

Who or what is CHIRP ?

Evo
29th Apr 2003, 15:41
Who or what is CHIRP ?

http://www.chirp.co.uk/air/default.htm