PDA

View Full Version : Priority Z - Training Flights

panjandrum
18th Apr 2003, 21:40
From 30 April 2003, the Manual of Air Traffic Services (MATS) Pt 1, the ATCOs bible, has training flights listed now as Category Z, ie: the lowest priority of them all. These categories are used by ATCOs for tactical handling of flights, ie: to determine which ones go first or not.

Until now, they were not specifically listed, so it was assumed they were categorised as a 'Normal Flight' (neither a high nor low priority).

Just a heads up to let you know, when you have to query why your flight has had a 30 minute delay and zero priority, and other flights are apparently queue jumping.

Mister Geezer
21st Apr 2003, 07:22
I thought that training flights were always treated with the lowest priority. After all, if you have commercial traffic, especially with CTOTs to contend with, then training flights are bound to come last.

I have always expected to be at the bottom of the ladder! At least it is now official! ;)

A and C
22nd Apr 2003, 03:03
Training has always had the lowest priority , once going into Ostend IFR in a PA28 I was asked if I was a training flight When I said that I was not a Boeing 707 was put in the hold to let me in first as he was a training flight !.

panjandrum
22nd Apr 2003, 19:47
Agree with the above comments, it's just that training flights had not not been listed as such for many, many moons.

I hope this does not lead to a detioration in the flexibility of ATCOs in accepting training flights, particularly at busier airports.

Mister Geezer
23rd Apr 2003, 02:15
True - they might use this as a 'nail in the coffin' to stop training flights at busier airports but I suspect that you won't notice any change in how ATC look after training aircraft, whilst on frequency, since they have always been deemed as low priority.