PDA

View Full Version : OATS Rumour

75TakenAlive
5th Feb 2001, 20:11
The latest rumour from OATS is that they may be purchasing a Boeing 737 for ILS approaches into Brize Norton. This will only be used by Sponsored students apparently and they are considering purchasing an Auster for the self sponsored students. Could anyone confirm this and if so is the runway long enough for a 737?? Also, why the inequality between different students??

Jet A1
5th Feb 2001, 20:45
I think someone is pulling yer leg !!!! A 737 could not get onto Oxford....I had heard they were replacing their Generic 737 sims with approved B737-400 Series simulators to win back the BA JOC training contract !!!!!

Good rumour though ! LOL !

Spearing Britney
6th Feb 2001, 00:30
Very funny! :)

As for Brizes runway if you cant get it sown there you cant get it down anywhere!! Tristars, C51's, Herc's, VC10's all regulars - wide too!

To send people up for ILS's in a jet youd be mad not to have both seats filled with type rated pilots (dynamic phases of flight etc)and as not everyone flies 73's after OATS the cost would be silly. http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif Would be fun though!

As Jet A says Kidlington's runway wouldnt take the 73, not that that would matter (hypothetically) as Brize would be a fine base and OATS already has acomodation there.

Interesting about new 737 sims though - the generic htey ave is a bit poor really. Lovely guys in the sim section there but all medical free so would need to be replaced/augmented should a real aircraft arrive.

Oh and inequality between students - a fundmaental OATS principle inst it? ;)

EvilTwinRating
6th Feb 2001, 03:51
I've been looking at OATS integrated course for 2yrs now and have been told about this new 734 sim numerous times. Anyone know about it???

I was told it was going to be installed January 2001

Is this just marketing bumpf or is it for real?

Nice rumour about the 737!-lol

Going Around & Around
6th Feb 2001, 04:40
yeah, that's priceless and did you hear the one about...

Where would OATS suddenly get the idea that spending even a little money was a good thing, let alone let students piss tons of fuel out of a 737???
27 hours on the Seneca at £300 per hour was a bit on the pricy side, imagine a few ILS approaches on the 737 - even scarier money!!

6th Feb 2001, 15:54
Spearing Britney

I think you are getting Brize mixed up with upper heyford as this is where OATS have their accomodation and I dont think you would get a 73 in there either due to the infestation of cars on the rwy

pilotp01
6th Feb 2001, 16:40
I was @ OATS on the Saturday and they said 3-4 weeks for the 734 sim.

Someone at BA told me that it costs about £12,000 per circuit to fly a 737. Seems to fit in nicely with OATS pricing !

GJB
6th Feb 2001, 17:07
pilotp01 - &10-12k / circuit!!! Think about it. Maybe £10-12k per hour of circuit flying.

pilotp01
6th Feb 2001, 18:12
I'll give you that one although perhaps it was a big circuit !

Reverse Thrust
6th Feb 2001, 18:53
pilotp01 - i was at OATS Sat also, I thought the course notes were good but i am not sure about doing my flying training there due to cost and as mentioned before in regard to being bumped for the cadets. What did you think of it?

RVR800
6th Feb 2001, 20:17
I met someone who got a type rating
on a 747 classic for £18,000 paid for
it himself

Included 1/2 hours flying which accounted
for £10,000 of the cost at Aldergrove
One T/O circuit missed approach and circuit
and land

He got a job

Positive Climb
6th Feb 2001, 21:38
Sorry guys - I have to disagree with those who reckon you could not get a 737 into Oxford:

R/W 20 & 02 LDA = 1200 m

e.g.

a 737 - 3/4/500 at a landing weight of 37 tonnes (equal to an empty aircraft + sufficent fuel for a short sector)

using Flap 40 / Vref 111 kt / max autobrake will have a landing distance of 840 m. even with just idle reverse deployed to keep the neighbours happy.

If you were very brave, you could even opt for just autobrake 3 which would increase the Landing Distance required to 1130 m. but still within limits for Oxford.

source - 737 Flying Manual.

Positive Climb
6th Feb 2001, 21:46
p.s. whilst training at Cranfield,I was told that a sponsoring airline once landed a 757 there and its only got about 1800 m. Not 100 % sure if this true but was always a nice story.

;-)

Jet A1
6th Feb 2001, 22:43
Pos Clb --- Ok do so at your peril ie 30m wide rwy ----- Wouldn't fancy trying to get it out though !!!

Capt Crash
6th Feb 2001, 22:52
Every week we have 747s, DC10, MD11 and L1011 landing at Cambridge with a landing distance on 1748 m on runway 23. The 747 seem to only use half that distnce before the power is back on to taxi off at D.

;)

------------------
WHOOP WHOOP
PULL UP!!!!!!

75TakenAlive
6th Feb 2001, 23:31
Further to the earlier rumour, I have now heard that to accomodate the 737, OATS are considering working in closer collaberation with RAF Brize Norton. There is even talk of them joining the runways at OATS and Brize together to create one big runway, although several local residents are opposed to this as it would cut through their high street. Anyone else heard anything??

Spearing Britney
6th Feb 2001, 23:38
330 - youre dead right Brize has the runway, Heyford the accom and cars!! http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/redface.gif)

Positive climb, fair enough! But the runway width, the taxiways, cadets pilots!!

Spearing Britney
6th Feb 2001, 23:42
Now youre being silly :)

flaps
7th Feb 2001, 13:35
Hey Pos Climb,

Maybe you'll not be the only one there.

A320-200 QRH

Landing distance WITHOUT Autobrake Configuration Full. Weight = 50 tonnes.
Distance in the dry 680 metres.

Autolanding distance WITH Medium Autobrake Configuration Full. Weight = 40 tonnes.
Distance in the dry 1193 metres. (Close)

In general it is known that the top figures are what the Airbus test pilots have achieved, probably landed without flaring with their feet flat on the floor. The WITH autobrake figures are what you would expect a normal line pilot to be able to achieve without really trying. These were calculated using Autoland I believe.

And no...I definitely would not want to try it... but were the brown stuff to have really hit the whirly wind maker and there was no other place to land and we REALLY needed to land in an emergency, a runway of Kidlington's length could be a consideration. But I have to stress it would be a very very desperate measure, but it would be legal.

7th Feb 2001, 16:37
75TakenAlive
I really hope you are taking the p155. If not someone is having a great time winding you up.

Positive Climb
7th Feb 2001, 20:16
Jet A1 - you're dead right - there's no way you'd catch me tryng to get it out again.

As for 30 m. width at Oxford - you'd be lucky - try 23m. !!!!

;-)

75TakenAlive
7th Feb 2001, 22:38
I swear this is no wind up. I heard the latest today: OATS are definately interested in developing this idea as a way to attract more students.

Part of the closer links with Brize includes use of the RAF helicopters by OATS students. In return, OATS Warriors and Senecas will carry Exocet missiles should we ever be invaded and they need to provide back up to the RAF in the middle of someone's flying lesson.

and the chap said
8th Feb 2001, 01:01
Fantastic! LOL!

insert chocks
9th Feb 2001, 04:14
Fantastic sense of humour 75! When I went to Oxford in 98 they told me that they were just about to start building an indoor swimming pool, when I got there and asked for directions there was a general look of disbelief!

------------------
I'd rather be up here than down there!

moggie
9th Feb 2001, 14:31
Do´'t worry folks - when OATS get sold again the new owners will have to bump the price up so much that it will just FEEL like you're paying for a 737 when flying a Seneca!

Why would BA want to go to Oxford for JOC? Aer Lingus are defecting to BAE because of the OATS "no can do" attitude!

ROTATION
9th Feb 2001, 14:54
BA already have defected to BAE, Jerez. A mate of mine's going there for the JOC in autumn.