PDA

View Full Version : Are You A Flying Bore?

Bottle Fatigue
15th Apr 2003, 06:06
Having just read a comment on the First Pax thread about those nearest & dearest to you staring into the middle distance with glazed eyes......

Come clean then you lot, are any of you lot flying bores?

Do people switch off when you say "I went flying this afternoon", do they look away and start talking about, ulp, football ? :{

Or do they want to know where you went/what you did?

Do you only discuss your little "habit" with fellow degenerates or with anyone unable to run away?

Own up, you know who you are!:uhoh:

Wide-Body
15th Apr 2003, 06:19
BF

"Are you a flying bore ? "

Yes --and Proud

Regards

Wide:ok:

LowNSlow
15th Apr 2003, 06:22
I can usually spot "the glaze" and move onto property prices or somesuch

flower
15th Apr 2003, 06:46
Best way around it of course is to just hang with other aviation nuts ;) ;) ;)

Flash0710
15th Apr 2003, 14:25
I Can vouch for Wide.........:zzz:

pulse1
15th Apr 2003, 15:15
In my family I'm regarded rather more as a Pprune bore. As soon as I enter a conversation with "Someone said on Pprune today.....", every one says, "Oh no, not Pprune again." and they then find something else to do.

Genghis the Engineer
15th Apr 2003, 15:39
Nope, I'm an aviation bore. I don't reserve myself just to the flying aspects.

G

Whirlybird
15th Apr 2003, 16:10
It's taken me several years to realise that when someone asks brightly: "How's the flying going?", it's a bit like asking you how you are. That is, they don't really want a blow by blow account of your difficulties in landing in that strong crosswind and how you got lost in poor vis on the way home with low fuel etc etc etc, any more than they want to know about your aches and pains and the result of the latest hospital test. Both are polite questions, to demonstrate that they're interested, that's all. "Just fine" is an appropriate answer to both.

However, if they THEN ask: "What are you flying now?"; "Have you bought an aircraft yet"; "Have you flown to..."; "Have you done the ... course?"...... well, then you're at liberty to drone on for the next two hours - because they're either genuinely interested, or stupid enough to pretend to be. :)

jayemm
15th Apr 2003, 17:27
When talking about flying, always keep a good lookout. If possible, try to get an Information Service from your loved one who can keep you updated with other conversational traffic, and advise you when avoiding action is needed.

Actually, if and when the glaze appears, I don't turn-off, but ask the person if they would like to go flying sometime. This tends to produce either a very positive reaction or a very frightened or guarded one. When it gets personal for the other person, it's surprising how interested they can become. Many people just don't think it is possible that they could fly as well.

At the risk of verging off this thread, just recently, I tried this, and it turned out that the other person has a real physical fear of flying, but is fascinated at the prospect of being able to fly "where I can see what is going on". So we're going to try on friday, ever so gently.

Maybe being a bore is nothing to do with flying, but more to do with only talking about your own experiences.

knobbygb
15th Apr 2003, 17:38
I go one better! I have photographs I've taken while flying and I whip these out at any opportunity. Guaranteed to make ones parents b*gger off home when they've outstayed their welcome on a Sunday afternoon!

Shaggy Sheep Driver
15th Apr 2003, 17:43
Guilty, m'Lud.

How can you tell if there's a pilot in the room?

He or she will tell you ;~))

SSD

stiknruda
15th Apr 2003, 18:59
SSD

How many Pitts pilots does it take to change a lightbulb?

Just one - he holds the bulb still and the world revolves around him.:D :D

Stik;)

Shaggy Sheep Driver
15th Apr 2003, 19:43
Stik -

Would that be the half roll to inverted (bayonet fitting). Or multiple aileron rolls (screw-type fitting?)
:cool:

SSD

MLS-12D
16th Apr 2003, 06:40
Quite probably ... so what? :hmm: