PDA

View Full Version : Why Barnsley?

knobbygb
14th Apr 2003, 23:25
OK, so I must be really bored, but...

Where do the ASR's get their names - particularly Barnsley?

I can understard Chatham, Cotswold, Portland, Holyhead, Yarmouth etc. - all prominent or well-known places in their relevant regions, but Barnsley? What's that got to do with aviation or meteorology? Am I missing somthing - was it once a centre of excellence for weather reporting? All I know Barnsley for is it's (lack of) coal mines and a third-rate football club.

Seriously, where do the names come from?

topcat450
15th Apr 2003, 00:10
I beleive it was in 1973 that the regions were named. It came about after a 6 month consultation with various bodies and authorities. It just so happens than in 1973 a local prominant councillor was also studying for his PPL and heard about the discussions while at Leeds Flying School. He was responsible for the Borough of Barnsley and ironically enough his name was also BOB.

Anyway, Bob fought long and hard with the CAA to enable the the region to be named after his borough, rather than York which I beleive was the prefered name. No-one really knows how Bob managed it, but rumour has it that he bribed someone in a position of influence to force Barnsley through via any means possible, and the rumour goes that it was simply a form on which the name York was hand-crossed out and replaced with Barnsley whilst on the way to the printers. Before the CAA realised, there had been thousands of charts and maps and documents produced quoting Barnsley and by which point they decided to leave it as was rather than rock the boat and re-open the consultation. Although if I remember correctly Lord Harvey was reprimanded over the mix-up and hasn't over-seen a CAA consultation paper since.

Hope it helps

TC

Northern Highflyer
15th Apr 2003, 00:20
Knobby

Check your PM's

topcat450
15th Apr 2003, 00:29
OK OK, I admit it...I was as bored as Knobby when I made up the answer. :O

knobbygb
15th Apr 2003, 01:08
I actually believed you! :oh: You shouldn't have come clean - Northern Highflyer wasn't grassing you up - it was about somthing else.

FNG
15th Apr 2003, 05:28
May I simply observe that I believe this to be unquestionably the finest question to be asked on pprune in the last decade.

ps: Topcat's answer is at least in the running for finest answer.

long final
15th Apr 2003, 05:39
Second that. Believed every word of it. Well done.

LF

ratsarrse
15th Apr 2003, 05:56
Very convincing. 9/10 I'd say.:D

Ronbmy
15th Apr 2003, 08:20
ratsarsse

Was that 9 crossed out and 10 written in on the way to the forum?

Brilliant answer.

topcat450
15th Apr 2003, 20:56
Sugar...I thought I'd been sussed....

Watch out for the next answers I give:E I'll know not to confess too quickly.

Capt BK
15th Apr 2003, 22:46
Had me fooled:( :(

topcat450
15th Apr 2003, 23:00
What can I say, I learnt everything I know from Baghdad Bob :)

Shaggy Sheep Driver
15th Apr 2003, 23:31
It was a mistake - a CAA cock-up. It should have been 'Barnoldswick' because of the RR factory (as in Rolls Barnoldswick, the RB of RB211 fame).

The CAA got it as 'Barnsley' by mistake (maybe they are Parky fans??.

SSD

knobbygb
15th Apr 2003, 23:46
Hmm... Can SSD be believed? Would make sense, but I'm not convinced after being caught out once already.

long final
15th Apr 2003, 23:58
SSD, a lot of my regulars from Barlick make the bits for said RB211 and assorted assemblies. I see them on a Sunday night after a full weekend.

It worries me.

A lot.

:suspect: ;) :suspect:

LF

Shaggy Sheep Driver
16th Apr 2003, 16:24
Hmm... Can SSD be believed? Would make sense, but I'm not convinced after being caught out once already.

:ok: :ok: :ok: :ok:

Wise man, Knobby :cool:

SSD

Keygrip
16th Apr 2003, 20:00
Remember that the deal with Regional Pressure Settings is to give the lowest forecast QNH for the area...

I just asked this question of the CAA - and their (tongue in cheek) reply was that "the lowest forecast QNH, for that area, must be at the bottom of a coalmine"

I don't have a UK chart to hand anymore but - is Barnoldswick actually in the Barnsley Altimeter Setting Region?

Sir George Cayley
17th Apr 2003, 04:15
Don't know why Barnsley was choosen but looking on the map my best suggestion is that it's at the C of G of the region?

SSD Appropos to Barnoldswick don't let the good folk of that town hoodwink you that the B in RB211 refers to them

It actually commemorates Bristol as Rolls Royce bought out Bristol Sidderley and their then Vice Chairman was an ex Bristols man

Sir George Cayley

The air is a navigable ocean that laps at everyone door

Shaggy Sheep Driver
17th Apr 2003, 04:39
Ok, ok my post was a wind-up (but you knew that, didn't you??)

However, Sir G, I do have it on very good authority from within RR that the 'B' in RB211 is indeed Barnoldswick (this is no wind-up - I meet senior RR folk professionally who've confirmed it).

SSD

long final
17th Apr 2003, 15:09
Sir George Cayley

The bulk of the development of the RB211 was done at Barnoldswick and the name does originate from the town.

:p

LF

QNH 1013
17th Apr 2003, 17:26
Keygrip, Sounds like your CAA contact doesn't understand the concept of QNH at all.