PDA

View Full Version : Childrens aeroplane mobile

Genghis the Engineer
14th Apr 2003, 06:44
A couple of years ago I bought from the RAF Benevolent fund catalogue several rather lovely mobiles, each containing (I think) 8 painted wooden aeroplanes. These have gone to various aviation friends who were starting families about that time and seemed to appreciate them. (I have a wonderful 2 year old niece who has started pointing at hers and saying loudly "Uncle Genghis", which is extremely flattering and as accurate as you can reasonably expect at the age).

Snag is, the Benfund catalogue has stopped carrying them, as has their website. I've tried transair, Toys R Us, Hoggosaurus + the museum shops at Yeovilton, Duxford and Elvington; none of them have anything even faintly similar. Presumably somebody in the UK is still selling this, or something very similar. Does anybody know who or where?

I have a deadline of 2 friends, both aeronautical engineers, who are having a baby together (a frightening concept I'll admit, but leaving that aside) and I'd like to get one for them. Assuming that they are punctual (and what Engineer isn't) this gives me a deadline of the end of June, so I've a little time but so far no leads.

Can anybody help?

G

amanoffewwords
14th Apr 2003, 07:04
I've been looking for a mobile for my son who, at 16 months, screams with delight every time an airplane flies overhead (though curiously not as enthusiastically when it's in Virgin colours :confused: ).

I am currently trawling through the list at excite.com (http://www.excite.co.uk/directory/Shopping/Recreation/Models/Aircraft) - I have seen a few possibles such as this company in the Netherlands (http://www.gonewind-mobiles.com/airplane.htm) but the goal eludes me so far.

Will let you know if I get anywhere with this.

Genghis the Engineer
16th Apr 2003, 16:19
I'm in your debt sir, that company in the Netherlands, whilst about 4 times as expensive as the ones RAFBFE sold, produce some even nicer mobiles for what I was after. Might just mean at that price that only my closer friend's babies will get one ;)

Good luck with your own continued search. (If all else fails, there are often stalls at the Popham microlight show, and PFA rally, that sell such things.)

G

charlie-india-mike
17th Apr 2003, 03:22
Genghis

As an engineer , why not make them yourself. It will then be truly unique gift for each and every child.

C-I-M

Cyclic Hotline
17th Apr 2003, 03:25
This makes a very intruiging mobile, although you always have to ensure that the chidren are well secured before it gets too close.
;)

http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20030416/i/1050472190.3556786263.jpg

Genghis the Engineer
17th Apr 2003, 04:14
I've known dogs who like flying, but that is a version I'd not met before. Certainly a new approach to walkies.

A valid idea CIM, worth pursuing when my friends manage to give me enough warning when life is relatively quiet. Might need to get a book out of the library however; neither my apprenticeship at Farnborough nor my degree at Southampton covered that sort of modelmaking skills ! Arguably a deficiency on their part, a more widespread ability to make wooden aircraft models might be to everybody's benefit.

G