PDA

View Full Version : PPL - how long left?

Allerby
30th Mar 2002, 13:31
I have passed all of my ground school exams except for the RT theory and practical which I have yet to sit.. .. .My first ground school exam was taken in May 2001 and the last in October 2001.. .. .I went to Florida in November on an all inclusive package, expecting to complete a good deal, if not all of the 45 hours I went for. Mentioning no names but, due to a lack of aircraft and instructors, I only completed 16 hours during the three weeks that I was there. I came back very disappointed and out of pocket.. .. .My question is, how long have I got to complete my flying training before my ground school passes become out of date?

Evo7
30th Mar 2002, 13:41
You have 12 months to pass all seven of the written exams, after which they are valid for a further 24 months from the date of successfully completing the examinations. .. .i.e. you need to do the written RT exam before May, and then you have two years to complete the PPL.. .. .See <a href="http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/175/srg_fcl_gid21.pdf" target="_blank">Requirements for the grant of a JAR-FCL PPL(A)</a> part 3, to hear it direct.... . . . <small>[ 30 March 2002, 09:42: Message edited by: Evo7 ]</small>

Allerby
31st Mar 2002, 17:02
Thank you for this information. I feel a whole lot better.

One year to convince my wife to let me continue and then a year to finish the flying.

RT theory seems OK its just putting it into practice that seems the hard bit. The 16 hours in the US were alright but only when I heard what I expected to hear. Any advice?

AerBabe
1st Apr 2002, 12:56
Don't worry overly about your RT, it's often a lot better than you think. Listen to the radio in your flying club when you're grounded, and if there's anything specific worrying you go through a mock flight in the briefing room with your instructor. Most of it is common sense, and ATC should "happily" respond to non-standard calls such as "Help, I'm lost"!

You'll find the RT practical a lot easier than you expect! The examiner will give you a sheet with a route marked, and will explain what calls he wants you to make. You might get a MATZ penetration to deal with, and a few changes in frequency. On route you will may also have to ask for up to date met info, make a pan call, and relay a mayday. So nothing too outrageous! You get plenty of time before the test to work out each call, and the test itself is in real time. You can make your next call as soon as you're ready, but you can't leave it longer than the expected 'flight time'.

Good luck, and don't worry !!!

FlyingForFun
2nd Apr 2002, 08:05
I agree, the R/T test is nothing to worry about. But I thought that R/T didn't count as one of the PPL exams, and therefore doesn't fall into the same time constraints as the other exams? If I remember correctly, you don't even need to do R/T before you do your skills test - you just get a PPL without the R/T license (although I'm not sure what the implications and restrictions are...) Can someone confirm this? Or am I just talking complete crap??? Not that I'd suggest putting it off, by the way...

As for the test itself - have you been using the Confuser for the other written exams? If you have, you'll notice that there are no questions for R/T in the latest version of the Confuser. But see if you can find someone who did the old CAA sylabus - they might have an old copy of the Confuser to lend you, and the old version does have R/T in it.

Good luck!

FFF
-----------

Evo7
2nd Apr 2002, 08:28
The upgrade mangled the link, but it's there - JAR-FCL Communications (PPL) is a required exam. In Part 6 it says that the FRTOL and PPL are two separate licences under different legislation, but "Applicants for a JAR-FCL PPL should be aware that they will be tested in practical radio operation as part of the Licensing Skill Test".

Evo7
2nd Apr 2002, 08:32
Oh, and if anyone does have a copy of the old Confuser R/T questions then I'd like to see them :)

Allerby
2nd Apr 2002, 18:14
Thanks again.

I plan to do the R/T exams at the end of April.

I've read and read both CAP 413 and the Trevor Thom book so its got to be now or never. My only practical experience was in the states where it appeared quite laid back. The ATC were excellent but some of the pilot phrases left a lot to be desired. Having said that, they have their PPL and I'm still very much a wannabee!!:(

The information and encouragement you have all provided is very much appreciated.

Evo7
2nd Apr 2002, 19:02
Take a look at this (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/224/ssl22.pdf) GA Safety Sense leaflet (you'll need Adobe Acrobat, btw). It has a full R/T practical test - it'll give you an idea what to expect.

Best of luck :)

Saab Dastard
2nd Apr 2002, 20:08
2p

The only ground school that I decided to do was an R/T course, given by a professional ATCO.

Time and money well spent. My confidence increased enormously from being given a solid grounding in CORRECT R/T procedures.

Recommended.

/2p

SD