PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Moths

flyingwysiwyg
11th Apr 2003, 18:24
Dear All,

Mrs Flyingwysiwyg very kindly said she would pay for me to go for a flight in a Tiger Moth as a Birthday Pressie.

She spoke to a couple of places and both said it would be much better to wait until I had passed my PPL (which I did in the beggining of Feb) as I would get a little more hands on flying rather than just a ride.

Mrs Flyingwysiwyg, did say that she didn't really know who to book it with as there seem to be a range of variables (cost, distance, availability, airfield) etc.

I thought I might ask if any of you aviating chaps or chapesses could suggest somebody.

I live in Worcester and reasonable distance no problem.

I did consider flying to whichever airfield with mrs wyg and then flying back, but was a little concerned about changing aircraft types (bearing in mind I have only a little experience) Or am I just being over cautious?

Any advice very welcome :D

Thanks in advance,

Fwyg

simonh11
11th Apr 2003, 18:40
flyingwysiwyg,

I asked a similar question a while ago. See this. (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=75685&highlight=tiger+moth) I haven't done anything about it yet so can't add anything further.

Simon

LowNSlow
11th Apr 2003, 18:42
Based on my one and only flight in a Tiger Moth (thanks Dick), you won't learn enough in an hour to change your pattern of flying in whatever you learned in. Well I didn't anyway :D :D

So, fly yourself and the Mrs. to the chosen location. Apart from (probably) being faster than driving it'll be another hour or two experience under the belt. I've got so much experience under my belt it looks like I have a beer belly. Damn, it IS a beer belly :D :D

AerBabe
11th Apr 2003, 18:56
You'll probably find that the short time you spend in the Tiger will improve your general flying. I certainly found after flying the Chippy that I paid much more attention to the foot rests in the C152/PA28. ;)

LowNSlow - it's not a beer belly, it's muscle from swinging your prop. :8

flyingwysiwyg
11th Apr 2003, 19:06
LowNSlow, Aerbabe,

Thanks for that. I'll fly.

Simonh11,

Thanks mate, I have downloaded that thread for perusal.

Fwyg. :ok: :)

MLS-12D
12th Apr 2003, 00:08
fwyg,

I highly doubt that you will pick up any new habits that would significantly distract you or otherwise adversely affect your ability to fly yourself safely home in whatever airplane type you normally fly. You're quite right to be cautious, but it shouldn't be a problem.:ok:

However, if I were you I think that I would probably drive to and from the Tiger's home base. You know the old saying: "Time to spare? Travel by air!". If you plan on flying there and back, you may run into the usual problems (aircraft not pre-fueled as you had requested; aircraft delayed in returning from previous training flight; radio difficulties; long line of aircraft in the takeoff queue; headwinds; etc.), and the prospect of being late for your engagement will be stressful and you'll not enjoy your birthday present as much as you might.

MLS-12D

P.S. The above litany of woes should not be taken as a whinge that light airplane flying is a chore; I'm just suggesting that it is often not particularly efficient for travelling, especially in the case of short distances.:sad:

flyingwysiwyg
12th Apr 2003, 00:14
MLS12D,

If you plan on flying there and back, you may run into the usual problems (aircraft not pre-fueled as you had requested; aircraft delayed in returning from previous training flight; radio difficulties; long line of aircraft in the takeoff queue; headwinds; etc.),

Good Point, well made. :ok:

Thinking about it................maybe I'll drive.

:\

Fwyg

Mike Cross
12th Apr 2003, 01:26
I had allowed my PPL to lapse and was given a Tiger Moth flight as a birthday present.

Did it at Goodwood late afternoon on a balmy summers day. I was the last one in the group to fly.

Instructor had offerred aerobatics if anyone want it so we looped and rolled our way above Chichester harbour.

In my first attempt at a loop for a long time I hit my own slipstream - brilliant!

As a direct result I got myself over to Old Sarum, re-validated my PPL and now have a share in a Luscombe.

I hope your trip is as magical as mine was.

Mike

flyingwysiwyg
12th Apr 2003, 01:35
mrcross,

Sounds fantastic. Thanks for that.

Saw a Tiger Moth land at Leicester when I was practicing Nav with my instructor. Bright Red. Lovely plane.

Looking forward to it. :)

Fwyg

FNG
12th Apr 2003, 02:15
Everything that MLS says is sensible but stilll....fly there!

As for the Moth....prepare to learn the true meaning of adverse yaw. Great fun, especially on a sunny day.

From Worcester, you could go to Sywell or to Waltham, both of which do Moth trips. The Avia Special Moth sometimes shows up at Leicester also.

matspart3
12th Apr 2003, 03:10
Unless you're a purist, talk to Tiger Airways at Gloucestershire Airport who operate a Stampe (and a Stearman)

I did 20 minutes in the Stampe and was hooked...bought a share in a taildragger shortly after!!

witchdoctor
12th Apr 2003, 04:23
From having spoken to them recently regarding ops work, the Avia Special team will be at Leicester quite a bit this summer, so probably the better location to give it a pop if that is the company of choice.

flyingwysiwyg
12th Apr 2003, 20:43
FNG,

Thanks for that, I'll look into those two.

Witchdoctor,

Leicester sounds good for me (not a million miles away) and If I choose to fly, it's an easy route for me and I have flown there before.

Matspart3,

Thanks for that. Would like to do have a bit of a go in a Tiger this time, but worth knowing about Tiger Airways, as Gloucester is really easy for me as well.

Thanks all for the info. Always impresses me the level of information that can be gleaned on PPRune in such a short space of time.

Once again,

Thanks Everybody.

Will post some pics and let you know how it went. :)

FWyg.

Bogeymann
21st Apr 2003, 21:52
So do these Tiger Moths have a good cockpit loading? They look strong enough! Can the WB cope with 100kg per seat?

FNG
22nd Apr 2003, 19:47
The Pilot's Notes allowed 400 lb as the weight for crew with parachutes. That's about 182 kilos.