PDA

View Full Version : How long for a C of A renewal ?

Tango Oscar
10th Apr 2003, 22:40
I know this is a 'how long is a piece of string' type question, but I'm going to ask anyway. On average, with no major work required, how long should a Public C of A renewal take ?

Our group's aircraft has been in for over a month, and is still not completed, even though nothing major has been found. I just wondered if this is the norm.

Thanks for any replies..

Tango.

FNG
10th Apr 2003, 23:32
The work itself may take a week or two, but you may be experiencing the effect of being bumped out of the list in favour of club aircraft, particularly if your engineer is associated with a club or school.

Edit: sorry, misread your post as to the type of check

BlueRobin
11th Apr 2003, 00:16
You mean a Star Annual? The aeroplane (syndicate) I'm buying into soon has just had it's Star. This took best part of a month. I believe it's 50 man hours+ to do.

Chilli Monster
11th Apr 2003, 00:42
Just had our aircraft done - finished last Saturday, 12 days it was away for.

As a group we always set aside 1 week for an annual and 2 for a CofA - seems to work with our maintenance organisation.

QDMQDMQDM
12th Apr 2003, 05:59
With me acting as the grease monkey to our local engineer my annual has just taken a couple of days. That's for a Super Cub.

The bastard thing is getting to the back of the engine to get the exhaust off to pressure test it. What a palaver. It's useful though, and kind of reassuring, as the owner to help out with the job. Saves money too.

QDM

Monocock
12th Apr 2003, 21:14
I must say I'm amazed at a C of A taking over a month when theres no problems with it.

It must surely be put behind the quick turnover club a/c like FNG says.

I have put a/c through C of A's six times now and 2 weeks was by far the longest.

If as someone says it is 50 hours work then your a/c has been receiving about 2.5 hrs attention a day!!

:confused: :eek:

A and C
14th Apr 2003, 02:35
Two weeks would seem about right for most aircraft , something simple like a Cub a little less.

At the moment spare parts ordered from the USA are in some cases taking much longer to get across the atlantic as they are getting "bumped off " flights in favor of high priority military cargo , this situation should ease over the next few weeks.

Also remember that the weather has to be OK for the C of A airtest , it wont take much turbulance to put the rate of climb below the -80 ft/min that the CAA will except so getting the right day for the airtest will save you the time and expence of doing it twice.