PDA

View Full Version : Cardiff LARS/ATC Visit - 31st May 2003

Barney_Gumble
9th Apr 2003, 23:15
Hi Folks.

After the recent threads concerning the relationship between private flyers and ATCO/AFISO/AG services, I thought it might be a good idea to arrange some more visits to air traffic control facilities. There is a forthcoming visit planned for Farnborough LARS and this proposed visit to Cardiff LARS and Tower should help further spread the word and improve understanding in the private pilot/air traffic partnership especially for low hours PPLs like me.

There is a provisional agreement with Cardiff to visit on Saturday 31st May 2003 for a maximum of 10 people. For those who live far away from Farnborough this might provide a useful alternative venue or if you don't get selected in FFF's forthcoming draw then maybe this is a second chance.

Following the same idea as FFF please post a reply if you want to be included. We might need to have a draw if more than 10 put their names down, but let's just check the interest level first.

Regards

Andy

rustle
9th Apr 2003, 23:30
Pick me please, sir :D

Can I fly in?

Chilli Monster
9th Apr 2003, 23:54
Cardiff air traffic services are operated by NATS and therefore represent IMHO some of the highest quality trained ATCOs in the UK. Meaning?

tacpot
10th Apr 2003, 00:21
I would like to come along also.

If the weather is upto it, I will fly in also.

Barney_Gumble
10th Apr 2003, 00:40
rustle & tacpot,
My intention at the moment is to fly from EGKR, so I am sure that flying in would be ok, subject to listed procedures, PPR(if required) etc. There is a nice flying club there with some PPRuNers members, so maybe we can patronise their bar for a cupper. I'll check for sure.

Chilli
Meaning nothing in particular just giving the post a bit of advertisment value; is the comment offensive, not meant to be :confused:

To be sure I have just removed that line in my original post :)

Andy

rustle
10th Apr 2003, 00:44
Cool - flying club don't require "handling" I am reliably informed ;)

Me thinks Chilli works for SERCO or a.another...

troddenmasses
10th Apr 2003, 03:15
Welcome to Cardiff.
Anybody is welcome over at Cardiff Wales Flying club. Handling is supposed to be mandatory (execair - northside - about £20 for a warrior) but if tower asks which side you want, just say "southside" - in you come and find somewhere out of the way to park. We have a bar and restaurant - and may even be able to sort out some transport to the tower if we arn't rushing around too busy. There are quite a few ppruners at the club, and you are always welcome. I find the people in the tower here professional and accomodating, on the radio as well as for visits. I am sure that you will all enjoy your day.:O

flower
10th Apr 2003, 03:46
Thanks Trodden for the info on the Flying club.
I am intending if we get enough takers for us to have lunch there as well and of course we always welcome Flying club members to visit us as you well Know:)

Flower xx

taglo
10th Apr 2003, 04:08
Please add me to the list for the visit. I'll arrive by car.

Lunch at the club sounds good.

Cheers.

jonnys
10th Apr 2003, 05:26
A little off topic, but I spent a day with the controllers at both a major and a GA airfield . Am a low hour PPL, and cannot over emphasise the value of visiting Air Traffic Control enough!!

It gives you not only an interesting insight to how the voices on the other end of the radio work, but it has also, I believe, made me a more considerate pilot. There were so many pilots on frequency barking out "requests" (orders..!), stamping on each others transmissions (including emergency transmissions from the air ambulance...) and generally causing ATC a variety of minor problems. Without having seen the effects of this kind of 'interaction' from the side of the controller, I fear I would also be one of those pilots who didn't really think the voice in the tower was a real person trying to do a real job!

All in all, it taught me how to interact with ATC much more effectively, and it's always nice to put a face to the voice!

So, enjoy it (you will) and learn from it aswell. Valuable experience. Should be a mandatory part of the PPL course I think! (minimum of 45 hours flight time, and 5 hours ATC time...what do you reckon?!!!)

niknak
10th Apr 2003, 07:24
Couldnt agree more with Jonnys.
I work at a busy regional UK airport, with a good mix of traffic - anything from wide bodies to C150s.

The thing that amazes me is that despite having 5 flying training establishments mixing it with all the commercial traffic, and having nearly 20 airfields / light a/c strips within 25nm, we very rarely have student pilots visiting us, (or instructers if it comes to that!).
Although not all my colleagues agree with me, I believe that a visit to your local atc unit can make a huge contribution to understanding each others needs.

I'll give you a clue, I work south of Lat 54N, and if you went any further east you'd fall in the water!

To make visits really worthwhile, we can't realistically accomodate more than 4 people at a time, and all visits would have to be prebooked, you don't have to be based with us, just a genuine interest will do.

If you're interested, email me at [email protected] (niknak)

flower
11th Apr 2003, 00:51
Everythings all sorted and booked folks, in the diary and all informed for 31st May.

To make things more interesting as well I have also arranged for us to visit Cardiff Airports Fire Station.

Cardiff Wales Flying club have a good lunchtime menu and would very much welcome us for lunch.

So all systems go , just need your names.

Should more than 10 people wish to visit I can split you into 2 groups Its just that I can only take 10 around at any one time.

Look forward to seeing you

Flower xxx

flower
13th Apr 2003, 19:49
Could the couple of people who have PM ed me on this check their messages ta.

Flower xxx

flower
1st May 2003, 21:08
Just a reminder about this visit , so far have 6 people who have asked to come along.
I can definately take 10 and if more want to come can arrange to take you around in 2 seperate groups.

Ta Flower xxx

flower
10th May 2003, 22:54
Could those who are flying into Cardiff on the 31st let me know soonest their aircraft details , registration and ETA either by PM or E-mail me.As well as your personal details.

Those not flying in as well could you please PM or E-mail me with your full names and addresses and contact phone numbers for purposes of security.

Cardiff is not PPR but is Class D airspace , we have specified VFR routes into Cardiff and I would suggest you take a good look at them before setting off, They may seem complicated but infact they are very simple. Route to a specific VRP and enter the zone not above 1500ft QNH, thereafter you will be directed by Cardiff Tower. The TWR controller will more than likely give you a left or right base join or downwind join. We do not have a deadside at Cardiff. Also make sure you are aware of the St Athan Local Flying Zone, this can still be active on the weekends with fast jet traffic . When asked by the TWR where you are parking advise that you are parking at the Club , this is to the south of the runway and find yourself a suitable parking spot. Landing fees can be paid at the Club.

I suggest even if you are not flying in that we all meet at the Cardiff Wales Flying Club, that is where we will be having Lunch and it is easy as well to walk from there to the Airport Fire Station which we will be visiting after Lunch.

I would like to start the tour at 1115 around ATC so could we all meet at the flying club for 1100, that will give us plenty of time to view ATC before lunch.

Any queries PM me or raise them here on the forums
regards Flower

flower
17th May 2003, 05:02
Just bringing this back upto the top folks as only a few days away , still some places so let me know if you want to come
Regards Flower

flower
27th May 2003, 05:07
This is on this Saturday folks so bringing it back to the top.

Still waiting to hear from one of you with details, also still room for more sadly not many private flyers interested in seeing Cardiff which is a shame so anyone else would like to join us would love to see you.

tacpot
27th May 2003, 06:59
I shall be travelling to Cardiff from Staffordshire/Derbyshire for the LARS visit. If anyone would like to come with me, I would be happy for the company. I have a C152 booked at Derby for the day. Plan is to check the weather at 7:30am on Saturday and if okay, fly from Derby to Cardiff, aiming to depart Derby at 9:00am. If the weather is no good, I'll be driving down and could pick a couple of people up on the way down the M6/M5/M50.

Flower will need to know your contact details prior to the visit, if you are not already booked.

Please send me a private message if interested. Preference given to PPLs and PPL students.

Mariner9
27th May 2003, 18:16
Is there still time for people to register for the visit?

flower
27th May 2003, 19:05
Mariner9
yes certainly room for a few more and I have sent you a PM.

Mariner9
28th May 2003, 16:14
Thanks Flower, I'll be there :D :D

flower
30th May 2003, 01:44
looks like my nagging worked and have got another 2 people to come on the visit , still 2 places remaining to visit Cardiff on Saturday and if anyone else would like to come let me know.

Flying weather looking quite good so far for Saturday so fingers crossed folks.

Flower x

taglo
31st May 2003, 02:36
Hi all,

Looking forward to the visit tomorrow morning.
Will be at CWFC for tea and biscuits at 1045am.

tacpot
1st Jun 2003, 04:27
Thank you flower for a most informative day.

It was very interesting to see the technology available to ATC and the totality of the services provided by Cardiff - as a VFR flyer alot of the workings of IFR traffic were a mystery to me, seeing how ATC service the different traffic types, and the degree of coordination they perform between units to achieve a good service for all users was very impressive.

If you get chance to visit a Radar unit, take it!

LowNSlow
1st Jun 2003, 04:58
Have been away on hols in Ireland but would have loved to have visited Cardiff ATC. Ah well, next time. ;)

Mr Wolfie
2nd Jun 2003, 15:03
flower,

I'd just like to add my thanks to those already offered by tacpot. T'was really very good of you to spend your day-off back in work to show us round. As a VERY newbie PPL the insight into the inner workings of LARS was really really useful (and an enjoyable day to boot).

Thanks,
Mr W.

Mariner9
2nd Jun 2003, 19:49
Adding my thanks flower, and thanks also to the on-duty guys n gals at atc & in the fire station who showed great patience with us.

Met the firefighters again way too soon though (yesterday)...burning smell in the cockpit on downwind - quick circuit and back on the deck. Firefighters met us at Hotel, very impressive response time!:ok: