PDA

View Full Version : New and Revised Airways in North

Charlie32
9th Apr 2003, 22:45
I am aware of the introduction of the P18 and move of the L975 South and with a lowered, base, but only because I spotted a NOTAM with effect 20/03/2003 relating to the NT Hold at Newcastle, and eventually tracked down the Coords and Levels together witha small scale airways chart in the AIP.

Is this published any where in the form of a temporary 1/2 Mil chart??

I felat very sorry for someone about 10 miles ahead of me the other day who had inadvertently ploghed into the L975 at FL75 thinking he was OK to cross the base. I have to say these changes do not seem to have been well promulgated, and with the difficulty of access the the NOTAM service life is even more difficult.

PPRuNe Radar
9th Apr 2003, 23:30
An AIC was issued on 6th February 2003 to provide airspace users with warning of the forthcoming airspace changes.

In addition, the AIP amendment was also issued on the 9th January 2003 which detailed ALL the changes taking place to the routes.

Both are available free online, both are no doubt widely available in clubs and briefing units throughout the UK.

Sorry to be contentious but someone ploughing through new airspace which has had 6 weeks notice (or more) through the legal channels speaks more about the pilots airmanship than a lack of promulgation. We're surely not a full nanny State yet I hope ;) Sometimes we have to take responsibility for our own actions and not blame the system. :eek:

Charlie32
10th Apr 2003, 00:53
I hear what you say, however, I think there is a reality gap between your expectations of the GA community and reality.

First at my local flying club, there was no warning about this.

Second even assuming that all of the GA community read through or even scan Titles of AIC's (and believe me they do not), the title of the AIC to which you refer relates to the "North Sea Area", which is not likely to catch the eye of the average GA pilot.

Thirdly, the map which acompanies the text is extremely small print and presented in a format unfamiliar to most GA pilots.

Now I appreciate that GA pilots have a duty to keep up to date, however in the interest of safety, the CAA and NATS should promulgate the information in a way which is most likely to be seen and understood by the GA community.

In the commercial environment and in your world of ATC, there are no doubt robust systems in place to ensure that this information is disseminated and complied with. There is no such comparable system for the GA community.

The recent introduction of the new NOTAM system, which throws up masses of irrelevant information is unhelpful and is likely to lead to relevant information being missed by even the most diligent GA pilot because of the "needle in the haystack" phenomenon.

I am simply asking that when such significant changes are made that the needs of the GA community are borne in mind, as it is everyones interest that the message gets through in a clear and concise way.

Spitoon
10th Apr 2003, 01:45
Sorry Charlie32 but at the risk of being as contentious as PPRuNe Radar the informsation was promulgated in a way that should be seen and understood in the GA community - in the AIP, the only definitive place for this information. Sorry to disappoint you but there's nothing more robust for ATC - ATC use the AIP.

More importantly, if you fly from a club (especially one where the changes might be expected to affect members) why isn't there a big sign up on a briefing board?

PPRuNe Radar
10th Apr 2003, 02:16
Thanks for the reply Charlie32, I am also a GA pilot. It was drummed in to me during my training to prepare adequately before flight. Read the AICs, the relevant bits of the AIP, NOTAMS, etc, etc. As I am sure you do. Good airmanship dictates nothing less and is a healthy and professional attitude.

The purpose of the AIC was to give the users another method of warning, in addition to normal change notification. The normal means of notifying change is of course the AIRAC Amendments to the UK AIP, which come out a minimum of six weeks prior to any change. This is a process laid down in international AIS procedures, as well as being documented in the AIP. My expectations that pilots would have been taught this at some point in their flying careers is not too onerous I think. Each AIRAC change usually has a summary of changes at the beginning so that pilots can quickly glance and see what might affect them.

You make some relevant points about the focus of the new NOTAM system and I know this is being well covered by other GA PPRuNers in official capacities. Good luck to them. However it is a little bit of a red herring in this case since NOTAMS would not be used to advise users of the change in airspace which occurred. It is the AIP.

If our stray pilot had caused a near mid air ... or God forbid a mid air, in airspace in which he should not have been, I don't think the defence of not knowing about changes and lack of adequate briefing would stand up in court as a mitigation.

You have raised a very interesting subject though. Thanks.