PDA

View Full Version : PPL Currency

Dude~
9th Apr 2003, 18:35
I know this topic is regularly being thrashed to death here, but I couldnt find concise info by searching.

I have got until mid July before my old CAA cert of experience runs out. I know I have to either get a cert of experience or a cert of revalidation this time. As I havent flown since last mid July, what should I go and do with an instructor? Is it a one hr LPC or just a one hr P.u/t flight. Ie will a normal checkout double up as a revalidation flight.

I just hate all this jargon and ambiguity!

Can someone pls clear it up for me!

FNG
9th Apr 2003, 19:10
Irv Lee's http://www.higherplane.flyer.co.uk/faq.htm has the answers. See number 9. If you are rusty, going to one of Irv's excellent seminars might be a good idea.

If you have flown enough hours in the relevant period, you need to fly one hour dual and get your documents signed before your cert of experience expires . The hour of dual instruction can involve anything relevant to the SEP class: IMC, aeros, tailwheel etc. There is a recommendation that it includes stalls, PFLs etc but not a requirement for it to do so. A thorough club checkout lasting an hour would do.

tacpot
9th Apr 2003, 21:49
The recent AIC (available at http://www.ais.org.uk/aes/pubs/aip/pdf/aic/4W378.PDF )
seems to define the content of the revalidation flight with an instructor.

I would suggest that you need to fly with an instructor until you are happy with your standard in performing all the operations listed in the AIC. Then have the 'revalidation' flight. Chances are you will need no more than two hours revision before you are ready for the revalidation flight. If you do expect it to take two flights, and you can afford to, you should slip an hours solo consolidation in between the two flights. This will build confidence, and will count towards the 6 hours P1 you need to revalidate by experience.

If the instructor is concerned about any aspect of your flying during the revalidation flight, there will be plenty of time for you to receive instruction to correct any deficiencies, if you have done a couple of hours revision prior to the flight.

On the other hand, you may find it cheaper to do a Proficiency Check with an examiner, - if you have done no flying in the last 12 months, you will have to do 6 hours solo in addition to the dual to get to test standard plus the test flight.

Best wishes for getting revalidated.

FNG
9th Apr 2003, 22:10
This came up in a recent thread. http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=85549

The AIC isn't intended to be prescriptive or definitive albeit that it has been (mis)understood to be so. The guidance given in the AIC is of course very sensible.

My first "BFR", to borrow the American terminology more or less followed the AIC. For the next one, which I might do quite soon as I'm shortly into the second year of my current certificate, I think I'll spend most of the hour trying to stop my stall turns being so rubbish, with some stalls, a spin and maybe a PFL thrown in.

Dude~
9th Apr 2003, 23:57
Frankly, its stil all as clear as mud. Irv's faqs are good, but there it suggests I may have to pay an examiner £70 to get a sign off.

Tacpot, no offence, but I found you post compicated to put it nicely. Of course, you are not familiar with my skills, experince etc, but I certainly dont intend to do 2 hrs revision before a test. I know I can fly a simple SEP. I also know the difference between over confidence/bravado and the knowledge that I still know how to fly safely. I have had long breaks in my flying over the years, and have never needed very much to get back up to speed at all.

In this instnace, the last flying I did was multi time, I know I could safley fly a C150 right now.

All I wnat to know is what I have to do to revalidate without experience.

I think what it comes down to is: 'you need to fly 1hr with an instructor.'

Right?!

FNG
10th Apr 2003, 00:02
No, the one hour with instructor is part of the "with experience" path.

Without experience: proficiency check with examiner, in last 3 months of cert (test after after cert has expired). That's all. No idea of how much examiners charge for this.

With experience:

- fly requisite number of hours (12, of which 6 P1), do requisite numbers of takeoffs and landings (12)

- include in the 12 hours 1 hour with an instructor

- then get papers signed before expiry date (signature won't cost £70: I believe that Irv does it for free)

tacpot
10th Apr 2003, 00:16
Sorry - I have a habit of being long winded. My post was complicated by my clumsy attempt to a) second-guess your experience level and b) provide advice you didn't ask for!

Dude~
10th Apr 2003, 20:20
Sorry Tacpot,

Spent this morning re-reading various articles and I now understand the difference between the Pu/t flight required for a cert of experience and the 'proficiency test' flight for revalidation by test. Well at least I dont have to decide now. I can aim for 12 hrs but if time runs short I can do the test and revalidate by test.

A genuine thanks for your efforts!