PDA

View Full Version : Garmin and Jeppesen Nav data alert

Fly Stimulator
8th Apr 2003, 18:20
I've only just found out about this, so apologies if it's old news, but Jeppesen and Garmin issued a nav data alert dated March 20th covering errors in the database used in Garmin GPS units.

A problem has been discovered in NavData Controlled Airspace, Restrictive Airspace, and FIR/UIR boundaries, which can cause a misrepresentation of the boundaries for some airspace. Do not use any of the boundaries for reference or navigation. Until further notice, please refer to information from other publications such as paper charts as your primary source for boundary information. (From the Garmin web site - FS)

The direct link to the Garmin notice is here (http://www.garmin.com/aviation/notice.html) and the Jeppesen list of the areas affected is here. (http://www.jeppesen.com/download/navdata/Boundary_Alert_List_0303.pdf)

It looks as if the only error in the UK is at Stansted, but there are many others in Europe.

Perhaps the update that they are presumably working on will fix the ATZ diameter and MATZ stub problems too.

Thrifty van Rental
8th Apr 2003, 22:36
This is quite old news now, but it is always worthwhile repeating. It is my understanding that the latest Jeppesen NavData (the cycle effective date March 20th) address this problem at Stansted.

As for the problem with your ATZs and MATZ stubs, I would not hold my breath, personally. A colleague in the airline's technical department assures me that the ATZ problem at least, is a Garmin thing. It may interest you to know that we use Jeppesen data in our Flight Management Systems in the Airbus, and the English ATZs have the correct dimensions there.

TvR

gubbo
1st Jul 2003, 23:47
The latest cycle 0307 contains the correct ATZ's not the ones created by Garmin. The MATZ zones are included with the stubs and the Class D airspace problem typically in Germany has been corrected.

One last thing. The GARMIN GPS systems DO NOT currently contain Airways or Class A airspace. I do say an exception for the Class A around Heathrow.

Min Sink
2nd Jul 2003, 00:56
The Garmin database only contains Class-A airspace where it is part of a CTA (e.g. Daventry), CTR (e.g. Heathrow) or TMA (e.g. Manchester)

Keef
3rd Jul 2003, 00:00
Clever idea, really, leaving out Class A airspace. Especially N866, where all the PPLs are likely to fly straight into it if they don't have their paper charts in front of them.

Very effective, though, for removing from the pilot population those who use GPS as their sole means, and leave their charts at home.

IO540
4th Jul 2003, 04:29
The Honeywell data I have (up to date) doesn't show MATZ boundaries either, and the Class A airways are missing too. But then it all comes from Jepp...

Nobody should (or could?) use a GPS as their sole reference for anything - there will always be too much stuff missing. The resolution of the screens is too low to include a lot of important stuff. Does anyone really do that?? I suppose on an easy local flight some people do go up without a chart.