PDA

View Full Version : Aerodrom Light Signals - Tips to remember?

Butter side-up
8th Apr 2003, 16:51
Has anyone got any handy way of remembering the meaning of aerodrome light signals - flashing red / green etc - for both aircraft in the air and on the ground.

I find some of the meanings a bit counter intuitive.

Thanks

DB6
9th Apr 2003, 03:07
Green = good
Red = bad
:}

Airbedane
9th Apr 2003, 05:09
memory?.....lost it years ago.

I keep a copy of Safety Sense Leaflet 6b Aerodrome Sense in my flying suit pocket all the time, open at the pages with light signals and signal square markings - very useful when visiting Old Warden!

Seriously, the only way to effectively remember things is to use 'em, and unfortunately, nowadays, few light signals are used. I know that when their use is briefed at Old Warden on display days, a sigh of terror can be heard from the visitors, until they realise that a crib has been strategically placed on the briefing room wall!

Good luck in your quest!
A

Butter side-up
9th Apr 2003, 23:13
Airbedane

Thanks for the empathy. I obviously see green as good, red as bad - but never seem to be able to remember the difference between the solid and flashing signals, never mind the meaning of the ones to aircraft on the ground.

Hoping someone might be able to shed some light on this.

BSU

DB6
10th Apr 2003, 02:47
Yes, sorry for my slightly crass reply but no-one can remember them unless they use them frequently. I asked a very experienced RAF ATCO the other day and he um'd and err'd for a while and said he'd get back to me since he never used them (well he does but it's just a red light or verey for don't land/go-around and a green light or verey for land).
Like a lot of the stuff we have to learn nowadays, memorise it for the exam then dump it :cool: .

tacpot
10th Apr 2003, 19:54
The flashing and steady signals and colours have the same basic meaning on the ground as they do in the air:

Steady Green (on the ground or in the air) : You are okay to land (air) or take off (ground)

Steady Red (on the ground or in the air) : You are not okay to land (air) or move (ground), so go-around(air) or stop (ground).

Flashing Green : you are okay to join the circuit (air) or taxi (ground), but wait for a steady green before you land (air) or take-off (ground)

Flashing Red (on the ground or in the air) : leave the airfield (air) leave the runway (ground)

Flashing White : come back!

Butter side-up
11th Apr 2003, 00:34
TACPOT

Thanks for this - I can see a bit more of the logic now so will probably be able to learn them more easily.

BSU

Vizsla
11th Apr 2003, 00:54
And the red/green/white flares if ATC are allowed them these days

Davidt
14th Apr 2003, 18:40
Buy a knee board from AFE it has all sorts of useful stuff printed on it, tponder codes,quadrantal rule,morse and *light signals*.

bet other brands have it as well.

if your too tight buy a plastic covered clip board from Office World £1.75 and write it on yourself

18greens
29th Apr 2003, 18:58
The way an ATCO told me to remember them was

Green=Good
Red=Bad

and Flashing means F*** Off.

A bit general and not entirely accurate but at least it gets your brain thinking the right way.