PDA

View Full Version : A/C down near M180

long final
8th Apr 2003, 05:44
c/o BBC NEWS

BBC News (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/humber/2926809.stm)

Aircraft crashes near motorway

A light aircraft has made an emergency landing and burst into flames in North Lincolnshire.
It came down near the M180 in Durtness near Belton after taking off from Sandtoft airfield near S****horpe.

The accident happened around 1920 BST on Monday

Emergency services were called to the scene.

Bomber crews

It is not known if there are any serious injuries.

A spokesman for Sandtoft airfield has confirmed the incident took place but has said no details are being released at the moment.

Sandtoft airfield was opened in 1944 as a training base for bomber crews.

After its military role was ended, part of it was retained for private aviation.

It is situated just south of junction two of the M180 to the west of S****horpe.

Capt BK
8th Apr 2003, 16:18
It appears the pilot was killed in the accident, my thoughts go out to his/her family and all concerned in this tragic accident.

Don't know any details yet but info trickling through tells of a twin-engine cessna but I have no confirmation on that.

I know a lot of people in this area are still talking about the fatal accident at Humberside the other week so to have another accident only a few miles down the road is a bit of a blow.

long final
8th Apr 2003, 16:39
Had this mailed to me today;

Pilot killed in crash explosion

An investigation is under way after the pilot of a light aircraft died when his plane burst into flames following an emergency landing.
The twin-engine Cessna crashed into a field just 300 yards north of the M180 motorway near the village of Sandtoft, west of S****horpe, North Lincolnshire.

The accident happened at 1920 BST on Monday moments after the aircraft had taken off from Sandtoft airfield.

Three fire crews attended the crash.

A spokesman for Humberside Police said the pilot, who has not yet been identified, was the sole occupant of the plane.

PhilD
8th Apr 2003, 20:08
I just followed the link to the news item, and found out why this trail is littered with ****s.

Ain't technology wonderful....

brookd
8th Apr 2003, 23:58
Pilot of Cessna 310 named by Humberside police this afternoon as Barry Mills.

He was on a flight from Sandtoft to South Yorkshire.

Thoughts go to his family.