PDA

View Full Version : PPL package value for money?

LeeRadford
6th Apr 2003, 17:13
Hi,

This thursday (my 21st bday!!) im doing my trial flight at Ravenair in Liverpool, I am really interested in starting my PPL if all goes well on thur, and they offer a basic package for £4990.00.

My question is, do these packages generally contain everything that is needed to pass PPL (apart from equipment like books etc and medical) or is it likely that I will end up paying more than the £5000 on stuff they do not include?

Also any general comments about Ravenair would be great!

Thanks, Lee

High Wing Drifter
6th Apr 2003, 19:50
As mentioned above. Don't assume you will pass in 45 hours. 50 is a good bet. The reasons for it taking longer probably have nothing to do with ability but just simply timing, weather and currency (or combinations thereof).

Most packages include ground school, although don't expect this to be very school like. The vast majority of the theory knowledge will have to come from you teachning yourself via the various aids and books available.

Also, most packages do not include landing fees.

In addition, I would steer clear of the PPL equipment packages, as you will end up replacing some items for better quality or more practical items. Only buy equipment on an as needed basis, then you can better understand why and what you want. Get your instructor to give you solid advice on this.

A realitic overall cost could be more like £6,000.

Good luck :)

LeeRadford
7th Apr 2003, 00:43
Thanks for the replies so far, they are a great help! I did list the stuff included originally as I thought someone may complain about advertising them or something!

(according to their info page)

- 50 Hours training in PA38 Piper Tomahawk two seater training aircraft
- All landing & navigation fees incurred at selected airfields
- Pre and post flight briefings to each lesson
- Time as required on the aerosoft 200 flight simulator
- General flight test fees
- Fees for first attempts in the ground examinations
- One years membership of ravenair

I was quoted £200 for the aviation equipment package which includes pilots flightbaf, ppl training books (V1-4, 6-7), A5 kneeboard and pad of VFR flight planning forms, chart marker pens, chart scale rule, protactor and plotter, UK North and UK south 1:500000 aeronautical charts, Navigation computer (CRP-5 or equivalent), pilots logbook, VFR flight guide

Hope that helps clarify things a little more!

Lee

Thanks kissmysquirrel for the happy bday! :)

Delta Wun-Wun
7th Apr 2003, 02:41
That doesn`t sound a bad price all things considered. However if you are going to pay up front, then pay with a credit card in case something happens with the school. Whether you will pass in 50 hrs is down to you, the weather and how frequent you fly.:D

Airbus.De
7th Apr 2003, 06:16
Lee

I am in the same boat although my boat at the moment is based in Gemany!!!!!!!!! I work for Airbus on A320's

I was in the UK last week and took a lesson from the Broughton site with Chesyer Flying school

www.learnhowtofly.co.uk

I Did Pay 125 For A trail Steep I know but the last time I was Quoted a PPL Package Price it was in the region of 3700

Take a Look!!

Are you doing this for fun or career?

Phil

LeeRadford
7th Apr 2003, 06:55
Thanks for the tips Phil

I must have missed that flying school as only the main ones at liverpool airport seem to come up when I search on t'internet! Ill give em a call tomoro and see whats included for the 3700!

Fun or career? Hmm... id say both! I finish my degree in two years time and hopefully by then I will have my PPL and a few hours behind me hopefully with night rating and multi engine...

its up for me to then decide at that point whether I want to invest more and go for CPL or whether to pursue a different career and use licence for leisure purposes!