PDA

View Full Version : Big day in the phnuff household

phnuff
6th Apr 2003, 04:23
Well, just back from Baltimore (and thanks to all who recommended places to go - the aquariam is just incredible). Anyway tomorrow, Hannah Caitlin phnuff, the 4 year old offspring of the phnuff's, is getting her first ride in a light aircraft. I am desperatly trying to convince her that aircraft are a better bet for fun than horses. As a result, mr phnuff is spending the evening forsaking wine to make sure he is 200% on the ball. I guess my question is at what age did other pprune members take their little ones up to sample the delights of the air. (oh and before anyone comments, she has a headset).

Gertrude the Wombat
6th Apr 2003, 05:49
I find that if you take small children up in a light aircraft (or a cabin lift, or really anything else that you might hope they find interesting) they just go to sleep.

Skylark4
6th Apr 2003, 06:44
I have no experience to back this up but I feel that you should avoid, at all cost, making a big thing about the instruments and controls unless asked. Make a point about the freedom of the air, no roads, no traffic jams (yes I know its not true but she`s only four). Show her a cloud (from the outside) if you can. Wait for a good viz. day so that she can see for miles and look into other peoples gardens. Can you actually go somewhere so that its a journey not a fairground ride? Is there someone to visit at the other end, someone she already knows of course?

Good luck anyway, I hope you both enjoy it.

Mike W

PS take sick bags, just in case.

Keef
6th Apr 2003, 07:22
Took my two daughters at various ages from about 8 to 30, and got the same bored response every time. Any excitement was to do with what was seen outside (eg Snowdon, France) rather than the act of aviation. Don't bother any more.

Fujiflyer
6th Apr 2003, 22:10
phnuff, I took our son up when he was 5 and our daughter just before she were 2 (with Wifey in the back next to her).

Keef, I have found exactly the same as you. Our two (son - 8 & daughter - 2 1/2) seem to treat it as about as exciting as a trip to the shops. What makes matters even worse if that our son occasionally has a bit of a tantrum in the a/c if he's ignored (ie when you're busy). I had an interesting incident a few years ago where he started yelling when I was trying to talk to Farnborough LARS during an IFR trip back from Blackpool.

I do wonder though if it will change when they get older and become responsible for their own means of getting from A to B. Hopefully...

FujiF

Saab Dastard
7th Apr 2003, 01:10
phnuff,

I took my 6.5 year old up today and he seemed to enjoy it. He was really looking forward to it, but has felt seasick and carsick in the past, so I was very circumspect and had some SBs with me.

Started with a circuit, seemed OK, so did a touch and go, still OK so tried another, then departed the circuit to have a look at Frensham ponds. Smooth day, not too bumpy, viz good even with overcast around 2400 so he could have a good look around iwthout feeling ill. He actually got caught out by an over-excited bladder, despite ensuring that it had been emptied before take-off!

Slightly damp on touch down, but no other problems. ;)

Not sure that he is that keen to go again, and I am not going to push it. Maybe in a couple more years.

SD

Flyin'Dutch'
7th Apr 2003, 05:14
My daughter is now nearly 2.5 years old but has been coming along ever since she was 6 months.

Secure in her carseat (chosen model allows for just a lapstrap to secure to aeroplane) and she will either do some colouring or points at real or virtual aeroplanes drawing my attention to them by screaming aeroplane aeroplane. Sure to get my attention as she usually is right.

However she has been know to take the following, less attentive pose at times:

Little 's' in her observing mode (www.stevelevien.com/bcc/pic11.jpg)

Never mind.

FD

Keef
7th Apr 2003, 06:16
Odd, FD, but I can't get the picture to display. I bet I know which one it is, though.

Flyin'Dutch'
8th Apr 2003, 04:24
Keef

You of all peeps knows the limitations of my computer skills.

So dont take the Mikael please. I will use the enforced lack of flying around the time of the new arrival by trying to get a website going. These little inconveniences should then be a thing of the past.

Will try to get it going in the meantime.

FD

Hilico
8th Apr 2003, 05:27
I remember being aged 8 and swearing that my kids would not have to wait so many years as I did before they went up in a light aircraft.

It didn't occur to me that they wouldn't want to. But they didn't.

Keef
8th Apr 2003, 06:29
Ah, FD it musta been me, cos now Little S displays just as I remember the scene. I think I've got one of her in the same pose somewhere around...

Spoke to number one granddaughter in Richfield (Utah) this evening. Asked her what she thought of the flight there. Answer: BORING. Daughter chipped in "and she was asleep for all but ten minutes of it."

I suppose her kids will say the same about space travel, or time travel, or some such.

LowNSlow
8th Apr 2003, 17:57
I took my 4 year old up with trepidation the first time. To my surprise she didn't want to land after one circuit at Swansea.

The second time she went up was from Rush Green where you have to bumble out from under Luton Zone. She found this bit boring. Once at 4,000' she wanted a go. I must have force fed her the Battle of Britain films once to often as it was stick back and full right aileron. She laughed like a drain and ended up cackling her head off as we pulled out of the ensuing dive. Back up to 4,000' and do it all over again. She was quite cheesed off that we had to go home after 40 minutes or so and gives me grief every time I go flying without her. Now I'm torn between taking her flying as often as possible and risking her getting bored and rationing her flying to keep the interest level up.

jayemm
8th Apr 2003, 21:33
Just like Hilico, I assumed that coming flying would be the ultimate experience for my kids. I couldn't have been more wrong!

First, one teenage son came up, and fell asleep from take-off to landing. Then, second teenage son comes up, enjoys having a little bit of control, but then loses interest. Neither want to go up again.

Then, teenage daughter, liked the fact that I could fly her down to a school trip near Biarritz which she would have missed otherwise. But doesn't like flying much.

Finally, 6 year old son started to show real interest, especially on sunny days with puffy CU around that we could pretend were different things to fly around. Then, one day, we descended quickly, and his ears hurt and that was it. Promises of sweets and treats failed to entice him back.

I ask the kids if they want to go flying just about every weekend, just in case, to no avail.

I've concluded that the wonder of flight was something for our generation, and that our children are so used to it for holidays etc, that flying GA is a bit like travelling in some kind of 'old' car.

Perhaps if we acted as if GA was a 'normal' form of transportation where the treat is in the location or the food, we might get them with us more!

phnuff
9th Apr 2003, 20:35
Well, last sunday turned into a damp squib as the weather was pretty horrible at the appointed hour and the phnufflet ended up going to the swimming pool instead.

Reading what other people have said, it appears they either love it, or hate it. I know she likes flying in 'real' planes and also makes regular requests to watch the orange planes at Luton. and gets very excited by them. Maybe this weekend although I am competing with a horse show :(