PDA

View Full Version : Duxford Photos

2Donkeys
6th Apr 2003, 00:17
A selection of photos of todays festivities are now online at:

This location (http://www.polestaraviation.com/pprune)

Currently, there are no titles on the photos, but if you would like to PM me with any details, I'll soon correct that!

Nice to see everybody today. :D

Fly Stimulator
6th Apr 2003, 01:25
And some more here. (http://www.theflyingschool.co.uk/pprune/duxford.htm)

I didn't manage to get everybody's name either (confusing when everyone has two!) so PM me with updates.

A great day out and nice to put real faces to the PPRuNe titles.

DamienB
6th Apr 2003, 03:12
Assorted PPRuNers - I think...

http://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk/pprune/0504vulc.jpg

A_Pommie's lovely looking Auster:

http://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk/pprune/0504auster.jpg

Just part of the PPRuNe static display with Kingy on finals:

http://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk/pprune/0504lineup.jpg

Shaggy Sheep Driver arriving in the background while Kingy's Cub looks right at home next to Sally B:

http://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk/pprune/0504cub.jpg

Closest I got to finding SSD and drooling over his Chipmunk (two disadvantages of the Duxford venue - a) can't get near the aircraft b) so big you have zero chance of tracking anyone down if you lose sight of them).

http://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk/pprune/0504ssd.jpg

No apologies for a gratuitous Spitfire shot:

http://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk/pprune/0504spit.jpg

Good to put a few names/handles to faces though I'm crap with names so probably forgot them all right away afterwards :O

Who was handing out the badges? Never got your name - many thanks anyway!

Charlie Zulu
6th Apr 2003, 04:08
Hi Fly Stimulator,

The picture in the top left hand corner has a few unknown names:

The guy in the white "BMI Baby" T-Shift towards the left of the photo is a friend of mine from Cardiff, Jason. He sometimes goes under then name "Kestral" on the chat room on PPRUNE.

Unfortunately I have to admit the person in the bluey jeans and beige t-shirt scratching his chin is me, real name Richard. I hate to admit it as its the first time in ages I've seen a profile of myself... I am absolutely disgusted with the figure so I'm not flying tomorrow... off out on my cycle and probably go swimming as well. I didn't realise how big I looked! :mad:

Other than that an absolutely delightful airfield an a wonderful day out. No matter how many times I have been to Duxford, I have always been taken back by the sheer size of the B52 in the American hangar.

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu.

AerBabe
6th Apr 2003, 04:15
Well, I'm getting to the point where I know 90% of the people there... so if you need any names putting to faces, send me the pics.

Great to see everyone again, and to meet those of you I hadn't met before. There are still some I haven't met who were there... FNG for one. Why didn't you stay longer?? ;)

Thanks to Kingy for the ride. Erm, you know our little secret about our trip back? I had similar problems again on the drive. That's when I stopped trying to use my heels to slow my car down. :O
Someone has to sponsor this guy for an instructor's rating!!

Hopefully got some cracking photos of Kingy's L4 cub - will scan them in when the film returns...

BTW - aeroplane-shaped chicken pieces in the canteen? Nice.

Editted to say that I felt like the Pied Piper on more than one occasion, when I turned round to find around 50 people following me.. :eek:

Barney_Gumble
6th Apr 2003, 04:44
Fly Stimulator

Second row down, middle photo the lady on the left walking into shot is Flower

First row, middle photo the gentlemen on the left is HelenD's husband.

Second row, first photo the ugly b**ger in the red t-shirt is me :O

Cheers Barney

AerBabe
6th Apr 2003, 04:59
Fly Stimulator:
Top left (L to R) - Kingy ? ? HelenD Me Mr HelenD Pilotwolf FFF Evo
The one beneath - ? SaabDastard HelenD Sennadog FFF Eveepee BarneyGumble MikeSamuel

And Barney... the ugly bu66er in the red t-shirt is me. :p

Genghis the Engineer
6th Apr 2003, 05:32
Some from me at This page (http://www.photobox.co.uk/public/detail.html?c_album=257435)

Apologies for the poor naming and references to "Duty Microlight Pilot", for the life of me I can only remember your real name. If anybody's got any corrections, drop me an Email and I'll correct the labels.

G

AerBabe
6th Apr 2003, 05:37
Duty Microlight Pilot - Fly Stimulator

Genghis the Engineer
6th Apr 2003, 05:42
Aha, of course. Thanks, I'll change the labels for that one.

G

AerBabe
6th Apr 2003, 05:55
Strange... cos you got his name right in another photo... :confused:
And that is a very nice jacket you have! :)

Genghis the Engineer
6th Apr 2003, 06:03
I know it is, but it didn't fit you - you'll just have to get your own (or, I suppose, go for co-habitation in one jacket with a suitable volunteer with a slightly outside male jacket).

I changed them both when you weren't looking, but after you told me.

G

Kingy
6th Apr 2003, 06:47
Great day out chaps, and some great pictures. It was lovely to put some more faces to names too.

DamienB - next fly-in you and your good lady are most welcome to a ride in the Cub (not at the same time obviously!)

Aerbabe - Thanks for being a great 'co-pilot' and a very fast learner - how are the knees? I can hardly move having logged over 5 hrs in the bl**dy thing today and don't forget the high heals for next time .. ooh err ;)
Also, AB's quote of the day... (trying to identify big town)... 'it's got a Spire and a big road that's got to be Milton Keynes' - brilliant! :D :D

Apologies to anyone on frequency at Duxford during departure. We were having our usual comms fiasco with AB and I playing PTT 'tag'. (You press - I'll talk...), so sorry for the clipped messages and spurious 'now's'! :O

Kingy

Edited for bad punctuation - gawd I'm soo tired

AerBabe
6th Apr 2003, 15:33
Hey, not fair. Wasn't it more like "It's got a spire, a big road, a railway, a block that looks like the ski-slope and some lakes..." ;)
Glad you made it back okay. And thanks for the display at Finmere. :)

Thrifty van Rental
6th Apr 2003, 16:16
Sorry not to make it this time. As I feared, I ended up back in Paris whilst you lot were having fun. Great photos. You don't look much like I imagined :D You are all so young!

TvR

Kingy
6th Apr 2003, 16:57
AB - of course, you know I'm only joking.. ******* is a dead ringer for MK... and it's all part of the fun :E
I, for one was caught out by our 'supersonic' ground speed of 70kts. :D

Did your 'P's see us overhead?

K

Barney_Gumble
6th Apr 2003, 19:43
AerBabe

You had me worried there.....I am the ugly B**ger in the second row LH photo in the red T-Shirt and you are the ugly B**ger in the second row middle photo.

I really don't think I ought to have posted that, but I have pressed the return key now :eek:

Barney x

P.S. As your T-shirt said

"Remove Before Flight"

Does that mean you fly top-less?????

If so please can I be your co-pilot please :O

Kingy
6th Apr 2003, 20:17
Barney,

That's a negative I'm afraid, but thinking about it, AB was complaining about being cold when sat behind me, perhaps I should have looked 'round !!:D

Kingy

Barney_Gumble
6th Apr 2003, 22:04
Kingy

You lucky, lucky, lucky, (more luckys to overcome the minimumum character posting rule) chap you!!

Barney

P.S. But did you get two hugs from Flower like me???? Now who's the lucky one :D

vintage ATCO
6th Apr 2003, 23:16
www.stevelevien.com/dux0504.htm

but of aeroplanes rather than people, sorry!

--------------------
vintage ATCO
www.stevelevien.com

TheKentishFledgling
6th Apr 2003, 23:29
As others have said, it was a good day out yesterday. I flew with FNG
in his Cap 10B, which previously, I'd flown a 30 mins aero session in.

On the ground at Rochester we briefed on the route, and agreed that we'd
climb into Rochester's overhead, where I would take control, and fly us up to Duxford. We routed around
the east of Stansted's airspace, and had talked of the
possibility of doing some aeros over the disused airfield Wratting
Common. FNG would navigate, I'd fly.

The Cap 10 is a real delight to fly. At first, I couldn't get used to
the sensitivity of the trimmer, but after a few minutes I'd got it
trimmed in straight and level.

When we reached Wratting Common, we decided that there were too many
loose articles to hold safely on my lap while we aerobated, so we'd
proceed straight to Duxford, where later we'd deposit a load of stuff
and go for a local aeros sortie.

On the ground at Duxford we met up with some PPRuNers, had
some lunch and then left some gear in
the tower. We then briefed on the aerobatic sortie. We would fly loops, aileron rolls and barrel rolls.

We left Duxford's zone straight off 06, and climbed up to 5000'. FNG
first demonstrated the manoeuvres, and then I tried some aileron rolls.
The first couple were pretty terrible, as I wasn't getting the required
angle of pitch-up before applying aileron. After a couple I began to
get the hang of them, and they weren't that bad. After 20 minutes or
so of aeros, we headed back to Duxford.

The flight back was as fun as the outbound flight, and as you'd
expect of a day like yesterday, Rochester's circuit was jam packed -
there were six other aircraft operating in the circuit with us.

A really super day out, and many thanks to FNG for coming to Rochester,
and taking me with him.
Thanks also to Stampe for the lift to Rochester train station :D

tKF

AerBabe
7th Apr 2003, 00:10
Aah Barney - but I got two hugs and a kiss from Flower. Beat that! :p
And no, I don't fly topless. :rolleyes:

Often.

vintage ATCO
7th Apr 2003, 00:49
and why not? :D :D :D

AerBabe
7th Apr 2003, 00:58
Because I haven't got enough money...

;)

FNG
7th Apr 2003, 02:04
I am sorry that I didn't meet Aerbabe and others but it was good to see FFF, Genghis and to meet LownSlow at last as well as others. TKF and I arrived a bit late and then went off flying, so we weren't on the ground for very long. I had promised to go aerobatting with a friend back at Waltham. We met Stampe back at Rochester.

I enjoyed the day, with three airfields, six landings (three crosswind), one go around (crosswind and gashness induced at Rochester), a circumnavigation (widdershins) of London, two aeros sessions and 4 hours 10 minutes logged. The Rapide, Spitfire and Mustang were the sort of bonuses which a visit to Duxford often brings (but shame on those blokes from Oxford who started up their Lycoming Mark 1 Bagofspanners just as the Spitfire ran in).

TKF was excellent company and a smooth flyer. Ed: just pull up a bit more positively and check the pitch more definitely for the aileron roll. I forgot to suggest that you try shouting out "Pull! Check! and ROLL!" as you do it)

Duxford is a great place (I did my QXC from there) but so big that it's difficult to remain as a group. My vote for another one is Kemble. I'll go off to Whirly's thread and suggest that.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
7th Apr 2003, 02:32
There's a fly-in coming up at Kemble - Great Vintage Flying Weekend or somesuch that we hijack. The red chippy and crew are booked for it, so Keef - get that weather ordered please (I know, I know, sales not management. But you must have *some* influence ;~)

SSD

FNG
7th Apr 2003, 02:34
Shaggy, we just missed you, but exchanged waves as we taxied past the Chipmunk.

Stampe
7th Apr 2003, 03:02
SSD the VFWE at Kemble is a great weekend but its booked in advance and normally heavily oversubscribed so not "hijackable".I did it last year flying Hairyplanes Miles Falcon and am penclilled in this year flying either the Falcon or Magister whichever the great man allots me (rather depends on the wx. as I,m a bit of a girlie when it comes to open cockpit x-country flying in cold weather).Be nice to meet some of you there a great event but not many modern aircraft make it there ,great for your chippy but they don,t take many modern aircraft due shortage of capacity.

LowNSlow
7th Apr 2003, 07:13
A great day out and a great opportunity to put more names to Pprune names. Also a great chance to see just how long it takes a fully loaded Auster to get off the ground with "slightly" soft tyres :D

Thanks to Vintage ATCO for calling my Auster (the one with the unfeasably large registration letters) "splendid". We will eventually meet up if only by accident!

Do crossedcontrols and I get the award for the shortest flight to Duxford? Did anybody else take less than 25 minutes to get there? That includes 5 minutes of positioning for the downwind join by the way cos there were no overhead joins were there people...........

SSD, nice to see the Chippy there. You can come and talk to us, we're not all completely mad, honest :D :D

Nice pics from you clever bods who can post these things, glad my double chin didn't feature in any of them :p :p

See y'all at the next one weather and leave schedule permitting.....

Kingy
7th Apr 2003, 08:54
L&S,

Nice to meet you mate and CC too.

I have only two words to say to you..Cosmic Wind.. cor! - they are probably still mopping up our saliva!!

Oh and there were no overhead joins at all - none, zilch, nada, zero, not one - okay? :E

Kingy

2Donkeys
7th Apr 2003, 14:00
Do crossedcontrols and I get the award for the shortest flight to Duxford? Did anybody else take less than 25 minutes to get there?

14 minutes from Cranfield, including circuit positioning and an orbit for spacing. Any advances?

flower
7th Apr 2003, 16:29
Ok folks i'm a tactile person, anyone else want to claim any hugs and kisses off me;)

FlyingForFun
7th Apr 2003, 16:47
Damn, didn't realise there was a flower-hugging competition, otherwise I might have counted my hugs. :rolleyes:

Can't think of much to add! It was fantastic day, saw a load of people I hadn't seen for a while, met a load of new faces, still can't believe that we actually got that many people to all meet up so successfully. I have a load of photos, mostly of museum aeroplanes but a few of PPRuNers and their aeroplanes. I also have a selection of photos of AerBabe doing impressions of various aircraft - unless anyone else has already posted similar (I should have time to have a proper look later today) I'll post them, and see who can guess what they are!

FFF
--------------

Shaggy Sheep Driver
7th Apr 2003, 16:47
But first - excellent piccies (again) DamienB.

L&S - I'll talk to anyone. Didn't know who you were or would definatly have had a chat ;~)

The Red Chippy is loveley, but not the fastest aerial conveyance (90 knot cruise). So our flights were 1:50 down, 2:00 back.

Any advance???

SSD

Kingy
7th Apr 2003, 17:07
SSD,

I win, I win !

Eastbach - Finmere (to pick up AB but bang on track) - Duxford 2hrs25m - headwind gave 45kt groundspeed

Duxford - Finmere ...its a long story.. :O 1hr55 (!) - Eastbach - 45m

Making a total flight time of 5hrs5mins total - anyone beat that?

Kingy

MikeSamuel
7th Apr 2003, 17:19
What a gorgeous day!

Many thanks to rustle and Mike for the pick-up in FF, it's a very speedy, comfortable and well kept aeroplane...I'm sure you love showing it off! I don't think I've ever seen such big numbers on my GPS! Max reading was 168kt by the way!

Had a great time there sitting in the sun and trying out my mini camera, which actually performed very well! I will post the pics within a day or two!

The trip back, although into horrible hazy sun, was really good fun. Everyone commented how nicely painted that Warrior was knobby! Hope I was of some assistance as your first semi qualified passenger!!!

Unfortunately I think I didn't get to meet half of you, but Duxford is huge and I think I got to see about half of the PPRuNers and half of the hangars and exhibits so it worked out great!

To the chap with the C421 - (I'm afraid I forget your name) if you ever stumble across Coventry on your travels I'd love to have a closer look at that beauty - although I can't cover landings - the C310 was over £40!!!

Best regards,

Mike :cool:

2Donkeys
7th Apr 2003, 17:29
To the chap with the C421 - (I'm afraid I forget your name) if you ever stumble across Coventry on your travels I'd love to have a closer look at that beauty - although I can't cover landings - the C310 was over £40!!!

That's me :O Coventry is an easy run up, all the way from Cranfield. I am sure we can get together.

Also, now I've been to a PPrune fly-in (my first) I will try and get to another, providing we go somewhere with around 850-1000m of tarmac, depending on passenger numbers :D

Rallye Driver
7th Apr 2003, 18:51
Great day out. It was good to meet a whole lot of new faces. Not an epic trip, but a nice day's flying.

We pottered back to NW, and sat there watching the JPs, Gnat and various Yaks go by. Gave Kolibear & Co a wave when they got back a bit later.

Looking forward to the next one

RD

Barney_Gumble
7th Apr 2003, 19:58
How about a special offer Flower three hugs for the price of two.....I got two hugs so am I owed a third??? Although on another thread you were saying you were going to punch someone on the nose, so I decided I had better not mess with Flower:O

Barney x

P.S. I heard that EGFF stands for Early Go For Flower ....but I am sure it is just a vicious rumour ;)

flower
7th Apr 2003, 20:10
Barney ,

Special Hugs coming your way, are you sure I only gave you two .

Oh well better save them up for you for next time.
;)

As for early goes they don't exist just a figment of your imagination :p

Crossedcontrols
7th Apr 2003, 21:16
LowNSlow, what a gentlemen, thanks for the lift, and such a nice aircraft. It was interesting working out who’s knee should go under the throttle, depending on which side the crosswind was.
Kingy, very nice to meet you and see your Cub.
AB, regarding topless flying, I’ve replaced the top deck, so should be back in the air this week.
Nice to meet you all (maybe we should wear PPRUNE badges to identify each other).

CC

For a couple of fotaes (http://www.littlegransden.flyer.co.uk/duxford/)

FlyingForFun
10th Apr 2003, 17:30
Finally got round to putting my photos (http://uk.photos.yahoo.com/bc/deandashwood/lst?.dir=/Duxford+2003) on the web - enjoy!

FFF
--------------

BlueRobin
10th Apr 2003, 19:26
Who's the handsome chap in DSCF0043? Oh that's.... oops *runs* :D

Genghis the Engineer
10th Apr 2003, 19:43
Why is it that Aerbabe is the one person guaranteed to be photographed by just about everybody?

G

Kolibear
10th Apr 2003, 19:47
Given the choice between Aerbabe, in a red T-shirt labelled 'Remove before Flight', standing in front of a Spitfire and Genghis, in leather jacket in front on an F-15, I'd say that it wasn't a difficult decision.

Sorry Genghis.

buzzc152
10th Apr 2003, 19:48
Arrrgggg, am so annoyed my donkey broke the week before the fly in. Was really looking forward to it too.

Let's get another organised real soon.

FlyingForFun
10th Apr 2003, 22:00
Well, I did promise the pics of AerBabe doing impressions of various aircraft. (Anyone guess what they are?) And the pics of her hugging various aircraft were just too good to leave out :D

Incidentally, I was going to add some interesting titles to the pics. But I couldn't remember the names of most of the aircraft I photographed :O so I decided to leave them all as whatever name my camera gave them! :D

FFF
-----------

Genghis the Engineer
10th Apr 2003, 22:05
Kolibear

Hard to disagree with you old boy, I'd rather look at Aerbabe than myself too.

I was making an observation by the way, not a complaint.

G

AerBabe
10th Apr 2003, 22:10
I managed to avoid being in any pictures at Popham last year. Next time I'm not going to wear any make up, maybe that will help. :p
Any guesses as to which aircraft I was impersonating?

Genghis the Engineer
10th Apr 2003, 22:21
Only one answer Aerbabe, get a leather flying jacket. I can only assume it's the reason people don't take pictures of me :p and for some inexplicable reason point their cameras at you in your t-shirt.

I'm guessing from the left, a Harrier, Dumbo the flying elephant, and a B52.

Was hysterical laughter the reason FFF couldn't focus the camera properly whilst photographing your aeroplane impressions?

G

AerBabe
10th Apr 2003, 22:26
&$%^&"£ .... I've got tea on my keyboard again.

Note to self - don't read PPRuNe when drinking

Cheeky bu66er - Dumbo the Elephant indeed. :rolleyes: Erm, no no and no. Try again.

BlueRobin
10th Apr 2003, 22:50
Genghis - the answer is a large geek:bird ratio! :8

MikeSamuel
10th Apr 2003, 23:23
...FFF, could you help me in identifying that rather discete and unfamiliar jet in your photo number 60? Hehehe ;) :}

My photos are here (http://www.flyawa.co.uk/photos)

All taken with that tiny little digicam of mine. By the way, that thing can do 1600x1200 pics, and these ones were done at 1024x768 and have been sized down for this website! And all for £45!

Genghis the Engineer
10th Apr 2003, 23:38
There are I think 2 types of Ppruner...

Those who take photos of the aeroplanes, and...

Those who take photos of other ppruners.

There is an obvious overlap, those who take photos of Aerbabe in front of aeroplanes.

G

FlyingForFun
11th Apr 2003, 00:50
Mike - no!

And on the subject of AerBabe - I've just added 3 more photos which she's e-mailed me. (The last 3 in the album, and the ones with the different names, just in case you can't work it out!)

You'll notice that she has a favourite subject for her pics too, possibly something to do with the fact that it was that aircraft that she flew into Duxford in, or possibly because she can land it better than I can land my own aircraft - not that that's hard :rolleyes:

FFF
--------------

Kingy
11th Apr 2003, 08:06
FFF - AB knows a damn fine airplane when she see's one ;)

I'm guessing Gannet, Lightning. and Lysander - do I get the prize??

Kingy

AerBabe
11th Apr 2003, 16:36
Erm... explain the reasoning behind the 'lightning' guess... :confused:

You're right about the Lysander though. :ok:

Kingy
11th Apr 2003, 17:57
Well... you are doing the pointy air intake thing with your finger ..
that is your finger isn't it? :eek:

K

Keef
12th Apr 2003, 03:48
Optica, Starfighter, Lysander?

Mike Cross
14th Jun 2003, 14:16
Just had this film processed and found these

http://www.telecall.uk.com/ais/images/CNV00015.JPG
Rustle with his 310

http://www.telecall.uk.com/ais/images/CNV00016.JPG
Rod1's AA5