PDA

View Full Version : UK Airspace and NPPL

deanofs
5th Apr 2003, 16:06
As a student doing thier NPPL can you tell me what the definition of UK airpsace is, eg can a NPPL fly to Ireland ?, Isle of Wight ? ??

Fujiflyer
5th Apr 2003, 16:23
UK Airspace is formed from 3 FIRs (Flight Information Regions). These are "London," "Scottish" and "Shannon." Scottish is the largest, Shannon the smallest. The region boundaries are clearly shown on the charts.

If you want more detail let me know,

Best Regards

Rich

BEagle
5th Apr 2003, 16:32
The ANO limits the privileges of the holder of a NPPL with simple SEP aircraft rating to the 'United Kingdom'. I am not certain whether this means 'UK airspace' or whether it means the territorial limits of the UK. So that probably means:

Northern Ireland - Yes
Isle of Wight - Yes
Eire - No

The situation is different for Microlight and/or SLMG aircraft ratings.

Chilli Monster
5th Apr 2003, 17:51
Fuji

I think you'll find the Irish will get a little upset if you say the Shannon FIR is in the UK.

UK airspace consists of the London & Scottish FIR's only - if you look at an aeronautical chart including Northern Ireland you'll see the FIR boundary follows the same line as the national border with Eire

Fujiflyer
5th Apr 2003, 18:50
Whoops... :O

Chilli Monster is of course absolutely correct. I should have been more careful in interpreting the definition in the first place.

One of the really useful things about these forums is the way you can clarify things like this without having to trawl through the official stuff (which you wouldn't anyway unless you wanted something specific).

FujiF :)