PDA

View Full Version : NPPL Medical cost

terryJones
3rd Apr 2003, 20:14
I am due to get my medical for the NPPL. I wonder what sort of costs people have been charged for this service, as the receptionist at my local practice pointed out...'There will be a charge for this, but I do not know how much. What's the 'going rate' for a signature. I have not visited my local doc for over 5 years now, and had passed the 'Proper' PPL medical in the early '90s, so feel reasonably confident in the general health states...

Think I'll get him to sign my new driving licence piccy while I'm there, otherwise he will prob want a few quid for that too.

Kolibear
3rd Apr 2003, 20:22
I enquired at my GP about an NPPL last summer. Their attitude was that they'd never heard of it, they didn't want to do it, they would be guided by the BMA and it would cost more than the equivalent HGV license. I ended up with a conventional AME examination instead.

Genghis the Engineer
3rd Apr 2003, 20:31
This was posted on the Microlight eGroup a couple of days ago...

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/microlights/message/29170

Chris Finnigan, who posted it, is Chief Exec of the BMAA. Carl Hallam, to whom he refers, is the BMAA's medical advisor, who I believe himeself flies on an NPPL with microlight rating.

G

Census boy
3rd Apr 2003, 21:49
I got charged £70 last September. Doctor said that he considered it the same requirements for a sub aqua diver certificate and £70 was what they charged for that and that's what it would be. So if if wanted to fly power again and he's my GP it's take it or leave it.So I paid up. At least I don't have to have another one for five years

PeterJfrancis
4th Apr 2003, 01:24
Hi Guys,
I had my NPPL medical signed by my GP last month and he was more than happy to do it (I left the forms with him the week before so he could read through them) and charged me the grand total of £12.
As the forms state he is only signing for a DVLA medical so he can't charge over the odds for it.

PeterJ

flying snapper
4th Apr 2003, 16:18
I think I have the record. My GP just signed the bit of paper after checking the advice sheet I had given him from the NPPL website. When I asked how much I owed him he just said " Oh thats OK - It's just a signature"

Makes a change from the £300 + I got charged to be refused a certificate from an Ophthalmologist and an AME!!:O

Ronbmy
4th Apr 2003, 16:33
My Doctor is a PPL and has been giving me regular medicals for HGV for xx years.

When I asked him to sign the sheet he did with no problems or cash required.

terryJones
5th Apr 2003, 02:48
Well, I just got it signed, after a eye test, vision field test, and the old blood pressure check.
The cost £50, which works out at £150 an hour.:mad:

DRJAD
5th Apr 2003, 21:10
When I had mine done, last September, it was £63.

In other words, the same as the DVLA Group 2 medical, for which I was charged separately.

I believe the main reason for the variation in charges, and some of them being high, is the fact that GPs were just confronted with potential NPPL people asking for the signature - without having been informed officially about it. My GP sounded particularly incensed that there had been no guidance through the medical officialdom.

Still its a fraction of the CAA medical through an AME - which I had done in March.