PDA

View Full Version : How long does it take for your licence to come through the door?

oli carley
3rd Apr 2003, 01:51
Ive just completed everything for my ppl(A) and sent it off, how long did it take for yours to come back?

Oh and £146 just for a bloody licence!!

maggioneato
3rd Apr 2003, 02:39
3 weeks, It arrived after I had gone on holiday,so was returned to the CAA ,then another two weeks to get them to send it back out. :(

Evo
3rd Apr 2003, 02:54
Just long enough for the weather to turn to *!&£$!** :* :{

or about three weeks. When they send the invoice you'll know the licence is on its way :)

BEagle
3rd Apr 2003, 02:59
The CAA have a charter which requires that they turn round your licnec application within 10 working days of receiving your paperwork. So as soon as it hits the licence production teams' in-tray, assuming that all your paperwork is error-free you should expect to receive your licence about a fortnight after sending your application off.

You did send it by Recorded Delivery, didn't you?? If so, use www.royalmail.com track and trace to check when your paperwork was delivered. If in doubt, pay another £2.20 and ask for Proof of Delivery; the Royal Mail will then send you a copy of the signature of the actual person who signed for your paperwork at the Belgrano.....

Kolibear
3rd Apr 2003, 14:11
Sorry, but I have to ask - why is it called the Belgrano??

rustle
3rd Apr 2003, 15:15
There will be local variations, dependant on door thickness and letter-box width, but through experimentation I believe the "average" is about 4 seconds elapsed from the first part of the envelope entering the premises to the envelope landing on the floor...

Hope this helps :D ;)

Hersham Boy
3rd Apr 2003, 15:24
Took mine two weeks. And CAA were worryingly helpful when I called them to see how it was progressing.

Sit tight...

oli carley
3rd Apr 2003, 15:51
do u think ringing them helps to prompt it along at all?

FNG
3rd Apr 2003, 15:55
About a couple of weeks is normal. Ringing up is unlikely to speed the process: they just have to work through the pile. The CAA is one of those organisations which all tend to revile, but I have yet to meet anyone who has personally experienced other than courteous and efficient service from them.

Dufwer
3rd Apr 2003, 16:04
I'm sure I sent then £143 for my license about a month ago. Price gone up already?

D

Northern Highflyer
3rd Apr 2003, 16:28
Mine arrived after about 3 weeks but seemed more like 3 months - the wait was almost unbearable. I know a couple of people who had to wait 6 weeks.

I guess my pigeon must have got an early departure slot

:D

drauk
3rd Apr 2003, 17:53
Mine took 5 weeks. Ringing them up didn't make a difference within the first 4 weeks, but after 5 I called them and the helpful woman said she would issue the license personally by the end of the day, which she did.

HelenD
4th Apr 2003, 00:45
I think mine took 3 weeks, I only rang them up because my medical certificate diddnt come back with it. The CAA were very helpful and told me my medical was being reissued as my restrictions were being moved to my licence.

parris50
4th Apr 2003, 14:05
If you watch your bank account, you can see when the cheque clears. Mine took about a week after that to arrive. It lloks like they don't bank the money until they start to process your application.

Mine took about 3 weeks.

Saab Dastard
4th Apr 2003, 16:58
Mine took precisely 3 weeks and 1 day-

I delivered the paperwork in person to Gatwick and had it checked in situ on 11th March. The Visa payment went out on the 18th, and with nothing seen by the 31st I rang them up.

After wating an absolute AGE on the phone, I spoke to a very helpful person who assured me that it would be sent out recorded delivery that night, and I got it on 2nd April.

So maybe ringing up does help ;)

So I can fly to Duxford this weekend with my first passenger!:)

Cheers

SD

rotorboater
4th Apr 2003, 19:24
Mine took 6 weeks and arrived just as the weather started to get bad!

Maybe it takes longer for them to write H than A.

By the way, if you phone don't use your mobile, they took around 20 minutes to answer every time I tried!