PDA

View Full Version : If your a/c were a car what would it be?

Monocock
2nd Apr 2003, 22:49
To make my point, assuming a PA28 Warrior was a Mondeo, a C172 was a Freelander and a Mooney was a BMW, what would your aircraft be if it had four wheels????????

P.S No jokes about Rallyes please!

topcat450
2nd Apr 2003, 23:03
A 172 as a Freelander? :hmm: ....I guess that makes my spamcan a Suzuki Vitara....sugar....right thats it! I'm off to get a REAL mans plane. I can't be seen anymore in a hair-dresser mobile!

FNG
2nd Apr 2003, 23:08
Two seats, closed cockpit, faster than average, corners tightly, goes well uphill and, er, rolls over....

Also, it's French, so I select something like a Renault Alpine A110 (the 60s-70s rally car, not the 1980s plastic fantastic), a car which I would in any event like to get my hands on

knobbygb
2nd Apr 2003, 23:34
Pa28 a Mondeo???? Ever looked under the bonnet (of the 28) - more like a MkII Zodiac. Mind you, it's a 5.3 Litre lump.....

Evo
2nd Apr 2003, 23:36
Um... like FNG 'mine' (OK, the club's) is a French 2 seater, just not so exciting. I guess Robin 2120 = Clio, Robin 2160 = Clio 172? Something like that. They've got Va Va Vooom compared to my old PA-28 anyway :)

Tinstaafl
3rd Apr 2003, 02:27
A 1950's Commer truck.

maggioneato
3rd Apr 2003, 02:36
C152 Aerobat, Skoda.Yuk. :(

Sliding member
3rd Apr 2003, 03:09
Well I drive an Allegro & Marina I'd say they're very c172ish

PA38
3rd Apr 2003, 04:15
INVISABLE.. run out of hard earned.. her indoors says WE are having a couple of holidays this year:(
Never mind SHE picked Turkey:D so who know might get my rented Mondeo in the air again;)

Mwflyer
3rd Apr 2003, 04:30
Why it would have to be a SPITFIRE :D

Kolibear
3rd Apr 2003, 14:23
Oh dear..... My aircraft is Polish, so that makes it either an FSO or a Polonez. :(

But look on the bright side - all those Yak pilots out there are really driving Ladas!

FlyingForFun
3rd Apr 2003, 15:39
Well, it's modern, sleek and got lots of power and a nice sporty feel, but not so sporty that it's uncomfortable on long cruises. British heritage. I think it's a Jaguar - probably an XKR. (The XKR is super-charged, my Europa is turbo-charged - close enough.)

Or, to turn the question around, what car do you drive, and what would it's equivalent aircraft be? My Triumph Spitfire would be a Cub - small, noisy, very basic, not particularly comfortable, extremely underpowered - but as soon as you get into it you know that it doesn't matter, because it's just so much fun that you really don't care!

FFF
-------------

stiknruda
3rd Apr 2003, 16:33
If my aircraft were a car it would be a 5 litre Chimaera

If my car were an aeroplane it would be a Pitts!

Stik

FNG
3rd Apr 2003, 16:37
I was thinking what a Pitts would be and decided that a TVR hooli-mobile was the obvious choice but, Stik, isn't your motor a Massey Ferguson?

PS: am launching with the Fledgling from Rochester to Duxford on Saturday. Have told him he has to do all the work whilst I snooze through the Stansted zone.

Evo
3rd Apr 2003, 16:47
FFF - the XKR doesn't sound like a milk float, but your aeroplane.... ;) :p

witchdoctor
3rd Apr 2003, 18:37
Oooooh Maggioneato.

Your post almost seems designed to ahve singled me out personally. I fly a C150 Aerobat AND drive a Skoda.

However, as my car is a rather pleasant Octavia instead of one of the old rustbucket Commie-mobiles, I will let your comment stand. Pity it isn't the RS though - laugh as you choke on my dust.;)

Cool_Hand
3rd Apr 2003, 18:58
My (rented) plane (PA-38) would be a Peugeot 106 XND (diesel), seems like a lot of fun until you see almost anything else on the road.

My car would be a Tobago TB10.

maggioneato
3rd Apr 2003, 20:43
Sorry Witchdoctor, you have my sympathy .:D

Monocock
3rd Apr 2003, 20:50
Cessna grand Caravan.......Range Rover?

RV6.....................................Caterham 7?

TB10...................................Audi A6?

High Wing Drifter
4th Apr 2003, 03:15
I guess the 152 I use mostimes would be a Fiat Cinquencento with the Aerobat a Fiat Cinquencento Sporting.

The PA38 Traumahawk next to it a SMART. A car you most definately would not want to take for a spin.

stiknruda
4th Apr 2003, 03:42
FNG

Whilst you are somnabulating thru' the STN zone with tKf, ask him what sort of tractor I have, then ask him what other vehicles in the barn have the same pedigree.

It ain't a blue Ford and it ain't a grey Massey. It is white!

Stik

andrewc
4th Apr 2003, 06:09
The aircraft I trained on, a trio of PA-28's, can only
realistically be compared with Morris Minor's of the '60's
vintage.

And 172's are no better...

-- Andrew

Kingy
4th Apr 2003, 07:56
FFF

My Cub is definitely NOT a Triumph Spitfire - it's a Willys Jeep... of course it is. :D

As for the rest of the squadron.

FRED - it’s not a car - it’s a motorbike. Hell no, it's a bloody moped actually.. It’s a 1976 Honda C50 in brown.

Isaacs Fury - hand built, great looks, lovely handling, very British. She's a Healey 100

Spezio - frisky brightly coloured American thing, sure to draw a crowd - gotta be a '65 Mustang fastback.

Taylorcraft - Cheap, efficient late thirties American design - a Hudson Hornet no question.

Sky Scooter - ahem.. What can I say!.. She's a '59 dual saddle Lambretta LI 150 with chrome mirrors and a massive whippy aerial. :cool:

Kingy

:D

Saab Dastard
4th Apr 2003, 17:03
Definitely a diesel!

Both my cars are so why change?

SD

140cherokee
4th Apr 2003, 20:16
If my aircraft was my car, what would it be?

Well... outside my house, not ten miles away for a start.
All mine and not shared with others.
Usable in all weathers.
Able to jump in, start-up, and drive-off within a minute.
Can be loaded behind the seats with complete disregard for weight.
Parts available from Halfords without the need for a second mortgage.

mmm... what sort of aircraft's that then??

witchdoctor
7th Apr 2003, 04:07
Shame I never stuck it out with the RAF. Then I could perhaps claim 'My other car's a Porsche!';)

Maggioneto

Want a piccie of your house as I trundle by in the Skoda?;)

maggioneato
7th Apr 2003, 04:34
Witchdoctor,I dare you to try,hope you have had better luck at flying than I have just lately, hopefully third attempt lucky tomorrow. Then I will be In a really good mood. If no flying, hubby won't bother coming home tomorrow night. :(

witchdoctor
7th Apr 2003, 22:33
Heh Heh!!!

Really thought we'd be up flying this weekend as we have a job on around Barrow, but viz just not good enough to go and shoot some piccies. Are you burning oil in trenches down on the Wirral or what?;)

maggioneato
8th Apr 2003, 03:54
Certainly looks like it lately,but got my fix today in the Skoda ,so was safe for hubby to come home, he had to get his own dinner though, I was gone 12 hours, amazing where the time goes. :D

Crossedcontrols
8th Apr 2003, 04:32
Pa 18 -95, the smallest SuperCub, great for pootling about the country lanes/fields, not very fast and last week had a soft top, has to be a Morgan.

CC

Wonko The Sane
9th Apr 2003, 07:27
If my aircraft were a car what would it be ?

(1) Illegal (on the road)
(2) Someone elses

witchdoctor
11th Apr 2003, 04:20
Decided after another 3 hour stint in the C150 that it is an original mini, only smaller and noisier! And just like the car - I love it!!!!

LowNSlow
11th Apr 2003, 06:26
An Auster with leather seats and sliding windows.... Mmm has to be a Wolseley Hornet or Riley Elf (posh Minis). Also cruises at around the same speed and has as much elbow or leg room, ask crossedcontrols :D

I would say that the Cessna Aerobat was the Fiesta XR2 of the skies and I'd agree with Kingy that the L4 was the Willys Jeep

Circuit Basher
11th Apr 2003, 15:20
Have left this for a while, as I can't think of a 4 wheel equivalent for the Fuji FA200 which I fly. Originally, I was thinking of a Mitsubishi Shogun (old type) as it's Jap and built like a brick poo house. However, it doesn't really have a great amount of grunt and doesn't like rough terrain too much, so I suppose it's more of a Scooby Doo [Subaru!] - something like a Legacy or a Forester, which is apt, as it was built by Aero Subaru.

Random UAS Stude
12th Apr 2003, 00:01
Grob 115e - Carbon Fibre, spritely, sporty - bit like a Mclaren F1 only slower with about 1/4 of the power...:O

witchdoctor
12th Apr 2003, 04:27
Random

And German, so perhaps more of a BMW M1. Also nothing like as good as the Mighty Bulldog! Or even better - a Mighty NUAS Bulldog!!!;)

(All other UAS are gay)

Random UAS Stude
13th Apr 2003, 00:33
(All other UAS are gay)???

Er, no, well mine isn't anyway

I take your point - Tutor is probably more of a M1. What would a Bulldog be?

FNG
13th Apr 2003, 01:12
A Bulldog would have to be something heavy, over engineered, but good fun. An Austin Healey?

witchdoctor
14th Apr 2003, 01:39
Hee Hee!

Random, don't know what the post says as it's been moderated, but nice to see a sense of humour. What UAS you with - Cambridge?

The mighty Bulldog would probably be a VW Polo G40 - small, chunky, well-built and a bit of a wolf in sheeps clothing. Absolute hoot to fly. The boss (S/L Mike Baker) used to take his air racing round the Isle of Wight - it's a tough job but somebody has to do it.;)