PDA

View Full Version : Help - Stolen Lisence!!!!

Autofly
2nd Apr 2003, 21:40
All,

I've just had my car broken into and my flightbag nicked:( . Apart from the obvious pain that i've lost my license, logbook, headset, etc, how can I stop people using my lisence to hire aircraft at local fields. Although it is very unlikely, I intend to call the CAA and tell them about it. Anyone got any other advice other than this ... i've no longer got a record of any of my flying!!!!

I right narked off Autofly:mad:

FNG
2nd Apr 2003, 22:01
Condolences, that is a bummer. I MUST copy my logbook.

I would say, however, that there is not much chance of anyone renting on the basis of stolen credentials, as almost any renter would require a checkout, unless your logbook and licence are in the name of J Bigglesworth.

18greens
2nd Apr 2003, 22:45
Bad news Autofly. I guess you'll be keeping a copy logbook from now on. That reminds me to update mine.

I do understand you can recreate your log from tech logs and if you can't you can make a declaration (eg I had 200hrs total, 130 p1 etc.). I know its not the same but its better than nothing.

Has anyone ever done this, if so how hard is it to do?

I wonder if it is worth posting a reward sticker in the front of the book. It is certainly of no use to anyone else. It makes you wonder what they do with the headsets .

The CAA should be able to reissue your licence (at a fee no doubt).

greatorex
2nd Apr 2003, 22:59
Sorry to hear that news Autofly. The sad reality (although, good news from your security point of view) is that the scum that stole your stuff will probably just throw your license and log book in the bin - they'll only be interested in things that they can flog quickly and easily - i.e. Headset, GPS, Flight Bag itself etc.

It might be worth, however, sending a flyer to all of the clubs in your area & beyond asking people to keep an eye out for your stuff. . .

As to the hours, you can get an Affidavit done (it's fairly inexpensive - less than £10 if memory serves - although how much the CAA will want, I don't know).

Once again, really saddened to hear your news

G

Whirlybird
2nd Apr 2003, 23:40
Do a search on PPrune; this subject has come up before, and I'm pretty sure someone gave details of what you have to do.

I photocopy every page of my logbooks (I have separate rotary and f/w ones) as I complete it, just in case something like this ever happens.

Good luck; it's a bummer, but not a total disaster.

onehunga
4th Apr 2003, 03:32
See link below for getting a new licence:

http://www.caa.co.uk/srg/licensing/fcl/faq.asp?faqid=118

As noted above an affadavit is required for the logbook. Here is another link to the caa website:

http://www.caa.co.uk/srg/licensing/fcl/faq.asp?faqid=119

Good luck!

vancouv
4th Apr 2003, 20:48
I've often thought about that, and what a pain it would be. I keep a computer copy of my log book, but obviously that doesn't have all the sign-offs by instructors etc.

I'd never thought of photocoying the completed pages - what a brilliant idea!!!

Autofly
4th Apr 2003, 21:10
Cheers for the advice all.

Having trawled the streets and looking in people's bins to see if the "$%&*$£ had chucked it, no luck today. Lessons learnt ...... leave my logbook on my shelf a home (why do I need it down the areoclub) and NEVER leave anything in the back my car!!!

Can somone shed some more light on this Affidavit - it something i've not come across before. I've checked out the link given by onehunga (cheers mate). Is it a statement of hours gained?? I've recently applied to the CTC Scheme so know my hours, solo and dual in each aircraft type.

cheers
Auto

greatorex
4th Apr 2003, 21:21
Autofly,

Just pop down to your local solicitor and they will sort it out for you. It really is quite simple and fairly inexpensive. It's basically a statement saying that "I, Autofly have X hours Total, Y Hours PUT/P2 and Z Hours P1." You hold a Bible in your hand and swear that the statement is true and the Solicitor Signs it.

Cheers,

G

rotorcraig
5th Apr 2003, 01:16
Same happened to me when I was visiting a friend in London ... the flight bag turned up intact (inc. Log Book!) in someone's hedge 2 days later, and the police got it back to me :D

So worth letting the local station (yours and the locality of the break in, if different) know, you could be lucky too?

RC

Delta Wun-Wun
5th Apr 2003, 01:57
Autofly,
Sorry to hear the bad news. A pain I know but maybe you can reconstruct the hours from the Tech Logs. If not then a Solicitor should be able to help with regard to the hours.
Hope it works out.

DWW:(