PDA

View Full Version : 744 Zürich to JFK - Fuel?

Tricky Woo
2nd Apr 2003, 21:36
Hi All,

Mate's young lad has a school assignment to somehow find out how many litres (and kilos) of Jet A1 a 744 routing Zürich to JFK is likely to use. One way.

Better include a flight/reserve split for extra marks.

Any ideas?

The clever clogs Swiss teacher also needs him to specify how much the total would be in kilos. Dunno what the average Swiss kid needs to learn at school, but we Brit brats were far too busy looking at Jerry Unwin's boobs to bother with such nonsense, when I were a lad.

TW

18-Wheeler
2nd Apr 2003, 23:42
I'm a Classic driver so my figures will no doubt be out, but I'll have a go since no-one else has yet.
I don't know how long it takes for a trip like that, but you could plan on about 500kg's for taxi fuel, 8 tonnes to top of climb, then an average of about 9.2 tonnes per hour after that.
1.5 tonnes for the drop and a small amount for taxi in, say about another 300kg odd.

The trip fuel will vary with take-off weight & wind component quite a bit, so I can only guess as the average figures.
I'm guessing about a 7.5 - 8 hour trip .... that right ?

Notso Fantastic
3rd Apr 2003, 05:27
Bit low on taxi- more like 900kgs+. Rest sounds reasonable. Conversions........1000kgs.=1250 litres (at a specific gravity of 0.8) For extra marks, get the little blighter to give the Imperial gallons figure just to educate the Continentals in real units- at about 4.75(?) litres per Imp. Gallon (none of those short measure US Gallons allowed here please), it comes to about 260 gallons/tonne (I think). Fuel usually remaining after arrival at JFK for Reserves/Alternate 12,000 kgs (I wish). Now give him a calculator!

Tricky Woo
3rd Apr 2003, 14:53
Thank you both muchly.

A small Swiss lad will be yodelling with joy, after his classmates swoon with admiration during today's show-and-tells. Betcha that Heidi girl will be waving and winking afterwards.

TW