PDA

View Full Version : Isle of Man

Go-on-Boy
31st Mar 2003, 23:09
Thinking of doing a trip to the Isle of Man during May. Will touchdown at EGNH (Blackpool) then 60 odd miles across water, single engine! Apart from "you must be mad" or " don't do it" can anyone throw any pointers that might be of assistance. We will carry raft and usual equpment plus wear life jackets. I understand ATC at IOM are a friendly bunch so that helps greatly, so if anyone can give any help i will be grateful, also any idea what landing, service etc and overnight parking likely cost, cheers.

bluskis
31st Mar 2003, 23:48
If it is like the Channel Is. there will be Special Branch to notify each way considerably in advance of your departures.

Thrifty van Rental
1st Apr 2003, 00:03
For costs, you should call the mandatory handling organisation. Details are all in the AIP They can give you a firm quote. The prices are not excessive in my opinion, but since opinions seem to vary widely on this forum as to what makes a landing fee "reasonable", you should probably satisfy yourself before taking off!

As Blueskis says, there is a special-branch notification requirement. This is currently 12 hours prior to flight. Not too bad, but an impediment for those last minute jaunts. Sometimes, talking directly with SB can get you around those kind of restrictions, so if all else fails, chat to them.

The water crossing is a big one, but it sounds as though you have that covered. The Irish sea is cold at the best of times, so don't count on surviving in the water without a survival suit for long.

Otherwise, there is nothing special to know. It is an easy airport to fly in and out of, whether under VFR or IFR. The weather can change quite quickly, making a last-minute check before you go well worthwhile.

Have fun.

aiglon
1st Apr 2003, 00:58
Is it necessary to notify inadvance for SB airfields. Last time I flew IoM to Blackpool (admittedly, about 18 months ago) we just turned up. At IoM (inbound from Donegal, outbound to Blackpool) the SB officer was just off for lunch as we turned up at his office - "just chuck the cards through the letter box, lads" were his parting words. As for Blackpool, no one around at all so it was another case of cards through the letter box - makes you wonder why you bother, if I'd been a terrorist, would I have given a valid forwarding address :confused:

Aiglon

Prof Denzil Dexter
1st Apr 2003, 02:06
Go On Boy,

Done the trip BPL-IOM-Newtownards several times, often in vintage biplanes. No problem at all, just keep high, and keep the radio tuned to someone who can answer you if the fan stops....
Last time I did it, I was passed by a Blenheim en route...

QNH 1013
1st Apr 2003, 02:35
Great place. Check the price of fuel in IOM by telephone first. There have been occassions when it has been 30% higher in IOM than in England.
Last time I went, there were a number of car hire desks at the airport and it was possible to haggle to get a good deal.

G-SPOTs Lost
1st Apr 2003, 03:35
There is a new handling agent at IOM that can be haggled with, last time I was over there to just drop off, the mandatory handling cost me a tenner!

maggioneato
1st Apr 2003, 04:35
Have visited IOM several times,always with a Flying School,this one was independant, so was a little different.Departure was from a grass strip in Shropshire, in a 152 Aerobat, routing via the Wallasey VOR. Was advised to file flight plans with Manchester 24 hours before,and activate it once airborne from the strip. All ATC people were great,including Liverpool who looked after us for most of the crossing.Island Aviation & Travel handled us, cost £10 plus landing,and special branch forms were completed,we had notified West mercia Police the day before.Several people had expressed doubts about doing the trip in a single engined aircraft,all we took was life jackets, decided against a life raft, due to weight. Short flight plan filed when ready to leave,instantly activated. A very enjoyable day.If you go, have fun.

Fujiflyer
1st Apr 2003, 05:21
I nearly ended up over there a couple of weeks ago when I was up at EGNH. Unfortunately the passenger I was going to take with me did not fancy the idea of flying through the forecasted cold frontal system which was due so I didn't go but did do most of the flight preparation.

The following points are noteworthy:

1. Special Branch (Lancashire) can insist on 12hrs notice of the flight as per legislation although may waive this amount of forewarning. They will happily fax an application through to you - fax them (sorry, lost the 'phone #, on 01253 407174). You must give this notification (permission to fly request) directly to Blackpool - I tried to use Sussex because I normally get permission from them for the Ch Isles but they could not do it.

2. Contrary to belief, fuel on the IOM is not "cheap" like the Channel Isles. Additionally you cannot (apparently) claim duty drawback :(

3. As mentioned by others there is a £10 handling fee (+ landing) although the helpful gentleman I spoke to indicated that it would only be levied if they were fairly busy, ie had limited parking area.

All in all I think it would make a good trip. Let us know how it goes,

Fujiflyer :D

Davidt
1st Apr 2003, 20:10
Landing fee Blackpool in a PA 28 was £19.00
+ others have already mentioned the fuel at Douglas, last time I went it was about 1/2 as much again as UK.

You could stop off at Barton (£8+ppr) for fuel and special branch clearance + as you are going over water a flight plan is recomended

sycamore
1st Apr 2003, 21:31
G-O-B,
Concur with all thats been said; you can go up to Walney island and have a shorter sea crossing from there, and follow the ferry route. If you go at end of May, it`ll be TT practice week and accomodation may be tight if you are staying-if you`re a biker-`nuff said; if not,worth watching a few practices on real roads.!
Also suggest you give Manx Flyers Aero Club a call 01624-825999,for a chat ,possible cheaper parking,servicing,car-hire,B&B`S,good food,pubs etc.
The weather can be very changeable btween N and South of the Island,due to the topography/hills. Jurby and Andreas airfields in the North can be used as bolt-holes if you got caught out,but are only open/available for home-based a/c and micros/gliders-not for normal arrivals-during TTpractice its used by racers for setting-up.
Sounds a bit biased? Of course ,I`m Manx! ;)

DFC
2nd Apr 2003, 02:59
Both Blackpool and Ronaldsway are designated airports for the PTA.

Thus the requirements of the PTA are met by landing at Blackpool prior to leaving for Ronaldsway. If the Special Branch haven't bothered to man their patch then there should either be a telephone provided or some form of letter box system as previously mentioned.

The 24hr advance notification request only applies to non-designated airports.

The Special Branch in the IOM are a friendly lot and once you have been through once, they keep you on file which speeds up your next visit.

The list of designated airports is in the AIP at GEN 1-2-16

Personally, I would consider a life raft essential unless using two engines. Survival time in the water at the coldest time of the year (which is now), is only a matter of minutes.....not even long enough for the SAR aircraft to get airbourne.

Regards,

DFC

aidanf
2nd Apr 2003, 14:06
I seem to recall reading on a similar thread some time back about a pilot who planned his flight to IoM in such a way as would ensure that at his mid-point over water he would be overhead the ferry, should anything happen. Thought this was quite funny, but strangely practical as well!!

Dewdrop
2nd Apr 2003, 19:23
I would agree with most of what has been said. Fuel is expensive, weather is very fickle. Point it straight at the IOM VOR and you should have no trouble, keep talking to ATC and comply with the controlled airspace. Manx Flyers are a good handling bet and they have a very cosy little bar if required.

big.al
2nd Apr 2003, 19:46
aidanf:

Landing a C182 on the deck of an a/c carrier in Flight Sim 2000 is one thing, but doing it for real mid-Irish Sea onto a ferry deck is another! :)

dublinpilot
2nd Apr 2003, 23:09
Don't fancy my chances of landing on a ferry!! Geez...my runway landing are bad enough!!!:)

But if I was to go down in the sea, I guess being on a ferry route would be better than not being on one!!! Better chance of someone spotting you, and giving you a lift!!!:D

aidanf
3rd Apr 2003, 21:11
it's very simple really.....

step 1 - find the radio frequency which the captain of the ship can be contacted on
step 2 - politely request that the ship be turned into the wind
step 3 - ask for the stern doors be opened (again, politely of course)
step 4 - request that some crew members clear one of the car decks (note: if things were going really well, you could possibly get someone to use some car head-lights as a kind of APAI system)
step 5 - land on the cleared car deck

....there you go, landed and hangered in one go and you're up the stairs to the bar. I'm surprised that it was necessary to have to explain this method, or is the PPL course in the UK different to the one here in Ireland?

PPIMan
10th Apr 2003, 05:30
TT period this year starts 31st May. You'll need a slot time for an arrival on the mornings of the race days. If you phone ATC they'll give you all the gen.

Go-on-Boy
31st May 2003, 16:39
Thanks for all the help, info and tips. Trip was delayed somewhat due to pressure of work etc but we are now going in the middle of June so really looking forward to it. We will be wearing life jackets and carrying a raft, just wondered if anyone had ever had to use a raft in anger before, would appreciate any words on that score, some people say tie the raft to a seat etc in plane others say don't!

Sycamore,
Will contact Manx flyers this week for the latest info and see if we can haggle over prices;) .

Once again a big thanks and will let you know how it went.

flyingfemme
1st Jun 2003, 02:29
Not that it is terribly busy during that week - I called yesterday for a slot on the final day, no problem.
Manx Flyers are nice people - £10 handling, free parking, landing fees are standard wherever you park (about £11 per tonne I think). If you want the red carpet Island Aviation charge £40 handling, £3.75 a day parking, plus the landing fee.
Don't sweat the water - plenty of people do it every day. Go as high as you can manage for the "warm fuzzies". The engine doesn't know it's over water!

WorkingHard
1st Jun 2003, 03:50
The Terrorism Act 2000 (Sch 7) specifies that if you going to one of the destinations specified from a non designated airfield then you will need to NOTIFY your LOCAL Special Branch of your intentions. The details required are also set out in the Act. Note it is NOTIFICATION specified; you DO NOT need SB permission. Don't forget customs and flight planning.