PDA

View Full Version : Brize Radar contact frequency?

Aussie Andy
31st Mar 2003, 17:33
Ref. the thread in the Private Flying forum here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=818181#post818181), there is currently a state of confusion as to whether we should make our first call when requesting LARS on 134.3 or 124.275, which apparently is a frequency not shown on the new 1/2 mil chart (it is understood that first contact for zone transit remains 119.0).

Can you guys shed any light on this?

Cheers,

Andy

Chilli Monster
31st Mar 2003, 17:44
Andy

See my answer on the same private flying forum

CM

matspart3
31st Mar 2003, 19:54
It's official, letter was in my post this morning.
Brize LARS frequency changes with effect from 1st April to 124.275MHz, pilots wishing to transit the CTR, however, should still call on 119.0

Aussie Andy
31st Mar 2003, 20:04
Cool - PPRUNE now more effective for dissemination of changes than NOTAM :p

Plazbot
31st Mar 2003, 21:06
VFR??? Go the long way round or pay thanks.

pulse1
31st Mar 2003, 21:17
Much as I hate the new NOTAM service I am not sure that that is fair criticism. I have just got a narrow route briefing for tomorrow and there was one for the new LARS frequency at Brize, to 124.27.

I also learned that the Bristol LARS has changed too but that probably happened some time ago. It's just that I haven't been flying for a few weeks:(

Aussie Andy
31st Mar 2003, 21:29
Plazbot - huh? Last time I checked (ref. ENR 1.6) LARS was a service which may be made available to VFR, even in class G in the AIAA...The service is available to all aircraft flying outside Controlled Airspace up to and including FL 95, within the limits of radio/radar cover.So what u on about mate?

Plazbot
1st Apr 2003, 03:10
sorry mate thought by your title and the name that you were talking of Brisbane, Brizvegas or Brisbane. Never mind my 2 cents worth. Please, carry on.

:O

Aussie Andy
1st Apr 2003, 16:39
Plaz: FYI, if interested, Brize Norton, aka EGVN, is a major RAF base near Oxford in southern England. It's class D CTA (or is that a CTR?) is surrounded by class G airspace, and a declared "Area of Intense Aerial Activity" or AIAA.

Within this area and beyond (60NM radius I think), "Brize Radar" operate a "LARS" service - a type of radar service ("Lower Airspace Radar Service") available to all comers in the UK, depending on their workload. Typically, GA aircraft transiting this area will call Brize and just ask for a flight information service, and will generally get a bit more besides in return - i.e. traffic advisories - if the controller has time. Plus you get lots of good info such as reminders of which mil drop zones in the area are active, if there is low-flying mil (usually HEL) activity around, etc. Just a great service really, IMHO! Asking for a radar information service also seems to work, usually, depending on workload.... but radar advisory service isn't as readily available (unless maybe in quieter periods?).

So to cut a long story short, we love our LARS services, especially Brize and e.g. Farnborough down in this part of the country, as they gives a pragmatic degree of radar service (a bit like US "flight following", but not necessarily all joined up from unit to unit) which is just the ticket on a busy and hazy Saturday afternoon around western London!

And for anyone interested, the CAA have explained the story behind the change of frequency, see here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=85771):It appears that the previous frequency was not assigned to Brize and was being used illegally. It had been in fact assigned to Scottish Mil and also to a unit in France and interference was being experienced by these other units and not Brize.
Best to all,

Andy

Plaz: forgot to add... have had good service from Brisbane also, when on the frequency in mid-north coast NSW at home over Christmas time ;)

1st Apr 2003, 17:32
There seem to be a few funny changes in the general Cotswold area. I think the old Upper Heyford 128.55 which Bristol had is now Gloucestershire which used to be called Staverton, but that is no bad thing because it was too close to 125.85 which is Cardiff. Now Bristol will use 136.07 which is similar to 126.07 which is the Swanwick sector 6 [Berry Head ] frequency; by the way, 2 and 3 are the most commonly misheard which is probably why sector 6 get so many calls from traffic in the Paris area. I would love to get rid of 126.07 on sector 6 because for the last twenty years aircraft have reported strong background interference in the Exmor area. I stopped reporting this to TELS in 1991 when the appropriate forms ran out of stock.By the way all you aeroplane drivers, you may think the interference is bad from your end, you want to hear it from my end; it sounds like white noise brainwashing! Must rush to work now to make sure I haven't given any duff gen--I expect our Office staff will pick up on these changes in the next week or two.

1st Apr 2003, 19:02
Oh dear. nearly forgot. I hope it is not true, but has Bristol inherited 125.65? I sympathise because lots of pilots with what is now an out-of-date Pooleys will cause the odd smile, not for one moment though would I ever suggest that amendments and NOTAMS are ignored by the overwhelming majority of competent GA pilots!!

matspart3
2nd Apr 2003, 02:01
Bristol and Gloucestershire 'swapped' approach frequencies on 20th March...so now 125.65 is closer than ever before to 128.55!

Surprisingly, it's not just the puddle jumpers who have problems...I've spoken to a Speedbird, KLM, easy and British callsigns on the wrong frequency in the last week!

BTW Staverton 'became' Gloucestershire Airport in 1991...so it's not just your Pooleys thats out of date!!:D