PDA

View Full Version : nats recruitment

clay pigeon
31st Mar 2003, 17:18
Hi. I am thinking about a career change into ATC but i'm concerned about the stories I've heard about length of training on a student salary.
So,
1. Does anybody know if NATS are taking on new cadets at the moment?
2. Does it help if I have a PPL?
3. What's the quickest way to train up and get back on a half decent wage?

bagpuss lives
1st Apr 2003, 00:44
Hi there,

I suggest you also read the myriad of other similar topics here for more insight than a mere mortal like I can provide but to be short and swift :

1. As far as I'm aware recruitment has been frozen this year - but for one year only.

2. Yes definitely. Your aviation experience would be invaluable but I have to say that not many of the ATCO intake hold any sort of licence or have any sort of previous experience. So if you don't havw one I wouldn't worry. If you do, it will certainly help a little in at least getting you to the testing and interview stage.

3. Quick is not good :) Nor is ATC the type of job you could so solely for the money. It can be more of a lifestyle than a job at times. The NATS route is probably the best way to go at the moment and pays very well even during training, comparitively anyhow.

Hope this helps in some way :)

Route Papa 45
1st Apr 2003, 01:09
Or the short answer is:

1. A year
2. yes
3. Burger king
:ooh:

VectorLine
1st Apr 2003, 21:08
Click here for web page (http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/radar2001/resources/ATCO1.htm)

Click here for FAQ (acrobat reader required) (http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/radar2001/resources/NATS_FAQ.pdf)

Good luck

blondie118
2nd Apr 2003, 03:24
Hi

Not sure if NATS are recruiting at the mo but can't hurt to have a look at their web site for more details.

Aviation experience is helpful, you'll have a better understanding than I did when I started!

As for training. I was training for 18 months at the college, I'm not sure if they've revised that or not but it takes time. Felt like a lifetime!

I wish you all the best with it. Go visit a few towers or come and see us at TC.

Good luck. :} :} :D

Andrew M
2nd Apr 2003, 06:06
Go visit a few towers or come and see us at TC.

How do you mean ? Do you just walk up to the tower and knock on the door ? :)

Jerricho
2nd Apr 2003, 15:15
Of course you can Andrew......just watch out for the dude with the gun on the front gate at TC! ;)

What Blondie (S'up ckickie!!!!)was getting at is if you post on here really nicely, somebody could organise a visit to a unit for you. Loads of people have done this, come in and had a look around and got heaps out of it!

fly bhoy
2nd Apr 2003, 15:35
Alright folks?

As far as I know all recruitment is on hold for now (although nothing definite has come out of Kemble Street yet, I don't think) because of the re-structuring of the course.

This re-structuring will lead to the course being more streamlined and training should only take about 12 months on the new course compared to about 18 months currently.

As for the salary, whilst training you get a basic taxable salary of just shy of £18k but you also get up to £100 p/w for living allowance (rent etc) which is not taxed, bringing your final gross income to around about £19k (give or take a few quid!!;) ). Once finished at the college I think the salary goes up to about £26k, but i'm not entirely sure about that so i'm sure someone'll be able to give you the exact figure!

Hope this helps and good luck.:ok:

FB

clay pigeon
2nd Apr 2003, 17:14
thanks for all your help.
i've checked up now and it doesn't look promising for the UK - i've been advised to speak to eurocontrol in Brussels.

9/11 certainly left a big mark on the industry. all we need now is a war!

Spitoon
3rd Apr 2003, 02:13
I must be getting old!

I remember when the NATS training took two and a half years. How do they cram all that into 12 months?

bagpuss lives
3rd Apr 2003, 05:54
No flying, fam flights or flight sim time and Area students are now not going to even attempt the Aerodrome course or six week familiarisation period as they once did.

jonnys
3rd Apr 2003, 23:23
Looks like NATS are recruiting a number of cadets, or so their web site says. Whether or not the current applicants will be put through the selection then put in a holding pool til courses start again, I'm not sure!

See Nats.co.uk for more info!

Andrew M
4th Apr 2003, 00:39
Erm, I see NATS were at a few careers and jobs fairs this year - one of which I attended. Why would NATS do this type of activity if they weren't recruiting ???

Anyway, their stand at the fair (which was held in the SECC by the way) was empty - A total ghost town. Donno ehy though ? :confused:

fly bhoy
4th Apr 2003, 15:56
Maybe the people who were supposed to be at the stand were waiting to be told when it was supposed to start!!:O :p :rolleyes: