PDA

View Full Version : Where is the best place to do a PPL ?

Andrew M
31st Mar 2003, 08:03
For the benefit of me and all those who are interested, where would be the best place to do a complete PPL course ?

Update: Must say I am suprised at the results. After thinking deeply about this matter, I realized that first and foremost the most important thing to a pilot is not the money - as what I was thinking - but it is the experience gained by the training.

Didn't know South Africa is such a big contender against the US either. Don't fancy South Africa much myself - I think I just have a stereotypical image of Africa being not a very nice or modern place. Also I think personally that I would rather spend three weeks in the US as compared to S. Africa.

Evo
31st Mar 2003, 14:46
It depends :) There's definitely something to be said for learning in the environment you are going to fly in - day after sunny CAVOK day in Florida doesn't prepare you for the cr*p British weather. OTOH, the UK is expensive and you'll be taught just as well overseas. How much money do you have? Is time off work an issue? What if your 3-week course turns into 4-weeks due to hurricane Kevin? 5 weeks? Do you like intensive courses or do you like to take things slowly (personally I don't, so a 3-week PPL wouldn't be ideal for me)? Lots of factors :confused: ;)

I'd say it doesn't really matter where you do it. There isn't really a 'best', and nowhere is bad - the standards are all essentially the same, whether you get a JAR-FCL PPL (here or overseas), an FAA PPL or whatever. :)

Andrew M
1st Apr 2003, 00:19
Never really thought of it that way. 3 Weeks is quite a short time when you think about it.

Considering I take migraines often that means around 3 or 4 of those days I wouldn't fly.

In addition, there is a big difference in US vrs UK weather. I would be flying in the UK, so perhaps learning in the UK enviroment would be best.

Although, when building flying hours, the US really is best then.

Andy_R
1st Apr 2003, 00:40
You could also consider South Africa, Australia, Canada and so on, and get to fly in some spectacular scenery. South Africa is usually extremely good value and has a huge variety of landscape and conditions, from coastal to hot and high. You can usually get your PPL (but SAA PPL - still legal in UK) all in for around the £3k mark, including flights and accomodation.

Personally I would complete my PPL in Uk if that is where most of your flying will be and then hour build or just have a really good flying holiday in one or the other of the above countries.

This need not mean you couldn't do an intensive course over here, if you look in the classifieds of any popular flying publication you will find several UK clubs/schools that offer this for not much more than the US equivalent. Add to that the lack of PPL students at the moment and you could strike a deal I'm sure.

Whatever you decide have fun.

HelenD
1st Apr 2003, 02:00
I would recomend Inverness. The scenery is wonderful, the people are great, the training is good and varied and the prices are reasonable. Even in january the weather is good.
The only problem is you fall in love with the place and dont want to return to your usual area of living.

Andrew M
1st Apr 2003, 02:15
Yeah Helen, Scotland has very nice scenery - the North more than the Central belt where I stay.

Monocock
2nd Apr 2003, 14:43
This subject is a well debated one that often ends up with people strongly disgreeing.

I am a strong believer that if you intend to do most of your flying in the UK then you should train here and get to know "our" system which does have many differences from Pretzel Land. Examples of this are weather, r/t, circuit procedures, more controlled airspace per square mile, topography, congestion........the list goes on.

The trouble is too many people go to their club and ask what the cost of a PPL will be. They are quoted the standard rate and then go home to mull it over.

You wouldn't pay the asking price for a £7000 car so why do it with the same value training? The UK economy is struggling and people are not spending on "leisure" as they have been for the last three years (believe me I know). The feeling of uncertainty in the economy and the high redundancy risk has given rise to a huge "back-off" in spending.

Therefore, your local club NEEDS new members to learn to fly.

Agree a deal on your training and you'll soon find your PPL will not be as much as it would have been two years ago.

To put all this in context I have a friend who took this approach and "fixed" a 45 hour training cost at a price that was 20% below the original quoted cost by the club. Work it out, the saving pays for all the exams, books, landing fees AND gives you spare cash to spend on even more flying!!

Andy_R
3rd Apr 2003, 04:54
And remember that of you are paying up front for a fixed priced deal..... PAY BY CREDIT CARD..... in case it all goes t@ts up, then at least you will have some protection of your funds

I think I just have a stereotypical image of Africa being not a very nice or modern place.

Andrew M try not to judge a place without any first hand experience. I, and many others with first hand experience of the country would disagree strongly with the above. You will never broaden your horizons by prejudging. Why not plan to do both in the future? One place I have never been is the USA but I will. But I wouldn't if I believed the stereotype of that country.

Andrew M
3rd Apr 2003, 06:45
Yeah that is a good point - should consider hours building there !

gingernut
3rd Apr 2003, 15:49
Barton ! Manchester.

Julian
3rd Apr 2003, 19:30
The US is sterotyped too much as well, maybe by students going to Florida a lot. I havent been to that side yet but told the weather is very good and topo flat.

However to show the difference taking the point raised but relating them to California. I fly a lot round the LA Basin and have ventured out to Arizona, Nevada and as far NOrth and South as San Francisco and the Mexico Border.

weather- You can find whatever you want usually, want to practice your IR in IMC conditions you will find some. Last time I was over it was pretty much solid IMC in the basin for alot of the time. A few days when PPL students were grounded and hand to resort to extra groundschool.

r/t - yes definitely different but doesnt take long to pick up the UK side once you are back. Likewise UK pilots have struggled at first when flying over in the US so I am told. Its just a case of learning a different method. Its very much a case of tell them what you want in the US.

circuit procedures - slightly different (joining on the 45 etc) but nothing to worry about.

more controlled airspace per square mile - US airspace is very busy. YOu will find yourself sharing the runway with the big boys. The difference being that they generally wont tell you to get out of the way, if you are first then you get to go first - none of this waiting around whilst they bump you down the queue, very rarely been told to orbit or hold.

topography - Very mountainous round the basin, 12000ft MEAs in some cases for IFR traffic. VFR over/between is possible with decent viz. If you do your PPL from LGB one of QXC will be to Palm Springs through the infamous Banning Pass....!

congestion - Yep it gets busy but they tend to keep things moving.

I must admit I had never thought of haggling on the price over here and a 20% discount is not to be sniffed at!! It could be an option worth looking into.

A few people from this site are looking at SA now it seems to be getting very favourable reports. Maybe someone who completed over there could post differences as well, be they minor or major.

As Evo says, train where you want and fly where you want. Dont let the fact you trained in one place put you off flying in another. Also, dont listen to schools who wince and say "Oh so you learnt in the US, thats going to require another 12 or 15 hours retraining then!", they tend to be just after money. I did a 1 hour checkride at White Waltham and also a X-Channel to Jersey at Bournemouth on my return - passed both with no problems.

Whatever you decide you will enjoy it, just make sure you carry on afterwards and have fun!

BlueRobin
3rd Apr 2003, 22:03
If you're going to fly here, learn here imo.

Don't think mass market for a solution. There are other ways off the beaten track that can get a you a cheaper PPL (and not necessarily one of less quality). You just have to hunt about or know the right people.

Sometimes, as with syndicated membership schemes, you have to spend money to save money! :)