PDA

View Full Version : FAA PPL ASEL to AMEL - requirements?

ahw01
30th Mar 2003, 16:14
I have an FAA PPL ASEL. What do I have to do to get a Multiengine rating added to that? I believe there's no fixed hours requirement, with an examination (reduced because of similarities with PPL ASEL), so it can be done in say 10-15 hours of flight instruction/experience or so

Does this sound correct?

Hope you can help

Kind Regards

Alex Walker

Julian
1st Apr 2003, 18:21
Alex,

The FTO I was using before the aircraft went sadly U/S quote 10hrs training + 2 hrs check ride as a rule of thumb.

Its worth noting that you cant take their aircraft away until you have 25hrs dual with one of their instructors or 50hours total twin time. So in theory it doesnt really matter how long you take to pass unless you already have twin time more than 50 hours as you cant go anywhere yet anyway. I have seen higher times required quoted by other schools for rental purposes.

Ozgrade3
6th Apr 2003, 11:31
15 hr initial multi-engine endorsements in an aircraft such as the Duchess is a complete rip off. In Oz, the syllabus calles for 7 hrs, maybe a few more for a struggler.

Tinstaafl
6th Apr 2003, 23:17
From the poster's terminology they're USA based, in which case it's not just an endorsement.

USA uses a system of discreet, complete-within-themself licences covering every combination of single/multi/landplane/seaplane/fixed wing/rotary wing/private/commercial/airline transport etc. Oz system uses a fundamental licence that gets its functionality 'expanded' with the addition of various ratings.

As aI understand it, a person with a Private Airplane Single Engine Land licence has to do a complete licence test for the issue of a Private Airplane Multi Engine Land.

I would have thought there'd be credits allowed though?

Julian
7th Apr 2003, 06:53
Correct Tins.

After getting a licence for ME nothing to stop you jumpng in you own ME aircraft but schools tend to wants minimums before letting you take theirs. Fair enough I suppose as workload is incrased and they want to make sure you arent going to stack it on your first run out....

flying jocks
12th Apr 2003, 00:38
ahw01,,

Unless the law has changed recently (and I don't have a FAR/AIM 2003 handy - but you can check the FAA website) you are right in that there is no minimum time to convert ASEL to AMEL. What you might consider is doing your FAA IR first and that way you can convert onto the multi engine and invoke your instrument privileges at the same time.

FAA rules allow a fair amount of simulator time to be credited for flight training.

Depending on where you go, in the USA all manner of interesting flights (such as across to the Bahamas, into Las Vegas or New Orleans etc) can be done whilst under instruction towards your rating

N Reg Aztec
25th Apr 2003, 23:36
To apply for the practical test for an FAA MEL license you must have:

- Met requirements for SEL or hold SEL license
- Completed flight training to the satisfaction of an MEI (FAA multi engine examiner)
- Received a practical test sign-off from that MEI to say you are prepared to take and pass the practical test.

The practical test itself is about 1.5 hours and there is an oral exam before the test which takes about an hour (although there is no written exam).

If you want to try a twin or build some hours after you've passed then drop me a line - I have an Aztec in London and happy to let you fly (with me) and log P1.