PDA

View Full Version : FAA PPL ASEL to FAA PPL AMEL

ahw01
30th Mar 2003, 03:44
I have an FAA PPL ASEL. What do I have to do to get a Multiengine rating added to that? I believe there's no fixed hours requirement, with an examination (reduced because of similarities with PPL ASEL), so it can be done in say 10-15 hours of flight instruction/experience or so

Does this sound correct?

Hope you can help

Kind Regards

Alex Walker

bluskis
30th Mar 2003, 04:35
You could get a CAA MEP in 5 hours plus, and get an FAA on the basis of your CAA licence.

Keygrip
30th Mar 2003, 06:56
You can only get a JAA MEP if you have 70 hours P1.

Otherwise - yeah - 10 to 15 hours of FAA training should see you through to test standard for multi engine rating.

englishal
30th Mar 2003, 16:49
10 hrs training should get you through. Its a little harder than the JAA ME rating, you have to give a Vmc demo plus engine shut-down on the flight test....and not forgetting the oral exam.

The flight test is pretty much like the PPL flight test without the Nav. Steep turns, stalls, circuits, etc, plus all the asymetric stuff, 'random' engine failures etc...[on mine the examiner 'failed' one engine on the take off roll by pulling the mixture]...

cheers
ea:D

Chilli Monster
30th Mar 2003, 17:08
EA

What does the FAA multi contain that the JAA one doesn't? Interested to know as when I did my multi test (UK, pre JAA) that also included an engine shutdown and Vmc work (5 hour course plus test)

englishal
30th Mar 2003, 17:24
I don't think the JAA Multi flight test includes an Engine shutdown or Vmc demo. You do this as part of the course with the instructor, but I believe you're not expected to actually do it on the test. For part of the FAA flight test you're expected to demonstrate Vmc and complete a full engine shutdown.....

Rgds
EA

bluskis
31st Mar 2003, 05:21
EA

My experience of the CAA test is the same as CM. Could it vary from tester to tester?

Keygrip
31st Mar 2003, 06:33
Yes, bluskis, it can vary from "tester" to "tester".

Have a look at the Examiners Record Form (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/FORSRG1157Iss2.pdf) for skill tests - and in part 5.5 you will see that a complete shut down of one engine during an MEP Skill Test is an "Optional Item" (but, then again, so is a Take Off - although landings are mandatory).