PDA

View Full Version : Light aircraft crashes at Humberside

Hufty
30th Mar 2003, 00:34
Just heard this on the radio - it was an "exam flight" according to the BBC. Any other details??

Seems that somebody was killed. What a terrible shame.

undertheweather
30th Mar 2003, 00:43
From http://www.ananova.com

Examiner dies as light aircraft crash-lands

A flight examiner has been killed after a light aircraft piloted by a student crash-landed beside an airport runway and burst into flames.

The crash happened at Humberside International Airport, Lincolnshire.

The examiner, who has not been named, suffered extensive burns and was taken to nearby S****horpe General Hospital where he died.

The pupil pilot, who suffered head injuries, was airlifted to Grimsby Hospital.

The student's instructor, a 62-year-old man from North Lincolnshire, suffered minor shoulder injuries.

The airport has been closed to allow an investigation to begin immediately. It is expected to reopen on Sunday.

A Humberside Police spokesman said problems began when the student attempted a series of manoeuvres in the three-seater Cessna 421 aircraft as he flew around the airport.

The man who died will not be named until he had been formally identified and his relatives were informed.

An airport spokeswoman said two flights from Amsterdam have been affected by the closure and were likely to be diverted to Leeds/Bradford airport.

Fourteen flights are scheduled for tomorrow and passengers are advised to call the airport on 01652 688456 in the morning to find out if their flights had been affected.

Story filed: 17:36 Saturday 29th March 2003

bluskis
30th Mar 2003, 04:33
Unusual

A Cessna 421 three seater.

A terrible accident with qualified pilots on board, but poor reporting by who ever.

Also is a Golden Eagle really in the category light aircraft?

I would have put it as an executive aircraft.

Bootlegger
30th Mar 2003, 05:31
know the airport quite well....god bless all concerned.

long final
30th Mar 2003, 15:47
Did my CPL with the two guys only a few months ago.
Very sad.
LF

Capt BK
30th Mar 2003, 18:49
A sad accident at my home airfield and club.

My thoughts are with the examiners family and all concered.

niknak
6th Apr 2003, 01:07
I only heard about this yesterday evening.

Naturally I don't want to intrude upon anyones grief, but I understand the instructer injured was Glen Stewart, whom I've known as a fellow aviation professional for many years.

My condolences to the family of the person who didn't make it, and best wishes to everyone else involved for a speedy return to the fold.

Sensible
27th Aug 2003, 09:14
NYC03WA074
On March 29, 2003, about 1230 universal coordinated time, a Cessna 421C, G-SAIR, was destroyed while landing at the Humberside Airport (EGNJ), Humberside, United Kingdom. Two pilots sustained serious injuries and one pilot was fatally injured. Visual metrological conditions prevailed for the airman evaluation flight.

According to the Air Accidents Investigation Branch (AAIB), the airplane was owned by the pilot seated in the left front seat, who was receiving a check ride from the rear seated pilot examiner. A flight instructor occupied the right front seat. The airplane was performing touch and go landings, when it cart-wheeled and a post impact fire ensued.

This investigation is under jurisdiction of the AAIB. Any further information pertaining to this accident may be obtained from:

Air Accidents Investigation Branch
Berkshire Copse Road
Aldershot
Hampshire GU11 2HH

This report is for informational purposes only.