PDA

View Full Version : Seaplane

timdoyly
28th Mar 2003, 19:55
I have found a school run by airconsult of Turkey offering JAA licences.
How is this possible when Turkey are not a JAA country.
Anybody have any experience with Airconsult.
I was particularly interested in their Seabea course, but now I'm not so sure.

englishal
28th Mar 2003, 21:16
The US is not a JAA country either !

redbar1
28th Mar 2003, 22:22
Tim,
Turkey is actually member of the JAA. Membership in JAA does not imply mutual recognition either on maintenance (JAR145), operations (JAR-OPS), licensing (JAR-FCL) or any other JAR. The states are assessed on the implementation of each JAR by itself. It is correct that Turkey has not yet been recommended for mutual recognition of licenses (JAR-FCL).

However, an FTO located in Turkey (or in the US or on Coconut Island or anywhere else) might obtain an approval from the NCAA of one of the states that are in the JAR-FCL "league". If the FTO claims this is the case, make sure to always obtain a copy of the approval document (Standard doc. 153) before spending any money at the FTO.

But, as there is no such thing as a JAR-FCL seaplane-rating anyway, I think this whole discussion will be of little use to anyone, I'm sorry to say. :(

Cheers, and happy splashes when youv'e got your (national) seaplane rating!
Redbar1

Genghis the Engineer
28th Mar 2003, 22:53
What's the SEP(sea) listed in the possible ratings in the back of my JAR-FCL license then, between SEP(land) and MEP(land), followed by MEP(sea) and TMG.

G

redbar1
28th Mar 2003, 23:28
Genghis,
You are absolutely right that the seaplane class ratings are listed in some states JAR-FCL-licences. This listing can create some confusion, as the two sea class ratings belong to the group of national ratings that may be entered into JAR-FCL-licences, just as a few other national ratings of various kinds may.

You'll find the reference in JAR-FCL 1.215 (c) (1), Subpart F, page 1-F-1.

(c) The requirements for the issue, the revalidation, renewal for the following class ratings are at the discretion of the Authority:

This implies that JAA recognizes the existence of seaplane ratings, but has not done one iota of standardisation or harmonisation work on seaplane ratings, neither the syllabus, the contents of the Skill Test, the revalidation requirements, nor the contents of the ProfCheck - if the state chooses to require one, with the resultant lack of mutual recognition. No JAA state is obliged to accept any such national rating (Albeit some states choose to do so)

Cheers,

Genghis the Engineer
28th Mar 2003, 23:58
why, oh why, do I find it so hard to be a good European.

Genghis the Brit

Gertrude the Wombat
29th Mar 2003, 02:25
I'm aiming at getting seaplane training in Canada this summer.

I then propose to amuse myself by writing to the CAA to find out what I have to do to get it confirmed as a UK rating of some sort.

(Someone told me the other day that he'd got his seaplane rating, rather a long time ago, in the UK. I expressed disbelief, on the grounds that flying training must be conducted from a licensed airfield, and we don't have any licensed water in the UK. He claimed that they licensed a bit of the Solent specially for him for a weekend.)

Genghis the Engineer
29th Mar 2003, 02:52
There is a licensed sea-loch in Scotland somewhere doing seaplane training on cubs.

G

Jetstream Rider
29th Mar 2003, 03:25
Have the bit of paper stashed somewhere that tells you the CAA requirements...

As far as I can remember you have to do your 5 hours, pass the flying test, do a 'seamanship' test (or some word like that) which is multi choice and costs £37 ish, then apply for the rating by sending in a huge wodge of cash and your logbook. I decided not to, but to keep my rating as an addition to my US PPL (it seems you CAN add ratings to a licence issued on the basis of a UK PPL!) and do my flying out in the states and Canada. It's a bit academic though as the insurers over there won't let you near a seaplane on your own without loads of experience. I can recommend a man in Quad Cities, Illinois for his C180 course - lots of landings as there is no need to fly round a lake to get back to the water - the mississippi just keeps on going.... Would love a go on the Seabee though - do you have any contact details or a company name?

A quick call to the CAA will be all it takes for them to send you the same bit of paper they sent me - can't find it on their website.

J-R

Circuit Basher
31st Mar 2003, 14:32
Geng the Eng - there are a few lochs where there are 'Water Aerodromes', but the main one for training is Loch Earn (the base is Caledonian Seaplanes) - it's pretty central Scotland, not so far from Perth.