PDA

View Full Version : How do I get some students???

marshall
25th Mar 2003, 12:21
Hi guys!

I just completed my instructor rating in Australia late last year but have had NO luck in finding students!

My flying school has allowed me to operate under their AOC, which would be beneficial if I could find some students.

I have been handing out business cards left, right and centre hoping for that first break. Most of the people that receive my cards are interested but never seem to follow up.

The lack of advertising is also making it hard to promote.

CAR 210 Restriction of Advertising of Commercial Operations.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A person shall not give any public notice, by newspaper advertisement, broadcast statement or by any other means of public announcement, to the effect that a person is willing to undertake by use of an Australian aircraft ANY commercial operations unless the last mentioned person has obtained an AOC authorising the conduct of those operations.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am after some helpful tips from instructors who have been in the same position once before.

Most schools won’t even employ a basic grade 3! So how does one start that climb from basic grade 3 to grade 2?

Any help or information would be fantastic.

marshall
9th Apr 2003, 19:31
I guess not....:{:{:{

tacpot
9th Apr 2003, 23:13
One thing that may be putting people off is your relative inexperience. If this is the case you would be better of seeking students who are experienced themselves. In the UK, recent changes to the process of retaining your license has meant that every PPL has to fly with an instructor every two years.

If the same situation exists in Oz, then seek out people who may require such a flight before they have gotten close to their license expiring. In the UK, this flying can be done any time in the second year. If their license expires in January ask them in February of the privious year. You have access to pilots through the flying school that you are working through, so asking questions at the right time may produce a source of students on whom you can cut your teeth.

Best wishes.

marshall
11th Apr 2003, 10:49
tacpot thanks for the reply!

In Australia you MUST complete your CPL before you can undertake a instructor rating course.

I am not a PPL with an instructor rating!

Pete O Heat
24th Apr 2003, 09:11
Marshall, I think what Tacpot was refering to is the same as our Bi-An. There a PPL's and even CPL's who may want to do a type endorsement or just a refresher flight. These people will want you as a saftey pilot rather then an instructor (and even though it may not always be allowed to be counted as instruction time, it will give you that extra hour and a little more confidence).

If you are working under an AOC, then why cant you advertise publicly. And maybe you should just look for a school where they wont dick you around and advertise themselves and share the new students around. I did my rating at a school where they gave you (payed) work at the end of it, and I was there for a year. I cant help a great deal on the best ways to find students as I never had to do so. But keep talking to everyone you meet, and maybe you will get a few positive bites.

Good Luck
:ok: :ok: :ok:

Tinstaafl
24th Apr 2003, 20:59
Not sure why you think you can't you advertise. You said you've been authorised to operate under an AOC (as you must except for a very limited range of instructing).

Charlie Foxtrot India
24th Apr 2003, 22:03
Take heart in knowing that we all started somewhere and many of us crusty old instructors were in the same boat when we first qualified. There's no easy answers, but every new instructor has a network of friends and family to contribute. Talk to the AOC holder about any ideas you have for finding new students, and advertising through their AOC. They will be as keen as you for some new students! If they are not interested, take your ideas to another operator.

Flying training is in a bit of a slump everywhere at the moment, and opportunities are limited. But this can change very quickly. You need to be patient, and don't give up!

Meanwhile put some of your eggs in another basket, if you are out in the workforce you are more likely to meet potential new students.

Whatever you do though, don't ever offer to work for nothing!

Best of luck.